New Clouds for DCS

Devil 505

As long as the weather engine stays that way DCS is a mediocore sim at best. Those clouds kill it for me. Rotating when looked at, in MP clouds for everyone are different, etc ...

New weather should be high priority, it is what makes a flight sim, if done badly, it kills the whole immersion.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Ah, I was responding to the original thread topic which was referring to:

No worries, I should have been more clear.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Im all for new stuff like anyone else but old stuff should be fixed first.

There are probably small bugs and issues with every single module that should be fixed first.

High fidelity clouds and weather are a bit hit on the fps so Im not sure you will ever get what you wish for in Digital Combat Simulator.

Now this video here really got me. wow, this will become the future of DCS one day, it will, just hope it's in our life time.

You got me hooked man. I am now a fan of this engine and think DCS needs this! After watching this, it almost looks like they could do global tech with this.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

Looks fabulous for the environment. I wonder though does the engine also provide the necessary coding capabilities that ED requires for Module FMs, weapon ballistics etc, or is that a completely different thing?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

++1 for new Clouds and atmospheric effects.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

I don't know if it all needs to be 'high fidelity' and 'complex eye candy'. Just a few major problems with the old weather engine really need to be fixed for sure.

But then, maybe there aren't so many news about it because it's not easy but work is going steadily, who knows.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone knows where are located the textures of these clouds??? I cant find them.

Thanks

My guess on the game is a recently released flight "combat" game for Playstation 4 :thumbup:

I think back in 2017 Wag's said they were working on a new weather engine for the 2.5 update. This got me really excited about 2.5 but sadly here we are in 2019 without even a single WIP screenshot of new weather. There has also been no mention of work on a new weather engine so I'm suspecting that work has been shelved for now.

That being said.. I'm not sure why a 3rd party developer or mod team couldn't make some improvements to the look of the current weather. I've played around with adding HD cirrus cloud textures and it's pretty easy to do and looks much better then the stock ones. Modding the cumulus clouds appears to be a little more tricky however.

Here's what it would look like with 2048x2048 cirrus cloud textures...

picture.php?albumid=1631&pictureid=10395

picture.php?albumid=1631&pictureid=10392

picture.php?albumid=1631&pictureid=10400

Take a look at my MODS here

• 3 months later...

+111....

MP clouds sync is a must for combat simming before any other weather issues are dealt with, imho.

We have many flyables by now to keep us busy long enough,

but we badly need a way more convincing updated environment to keep us flying there.

I read the recent Nick Grey’s post which got me to buy the EA Viper, although I was about to sit and wait for core sim improvements first, and never to buy an EA module again.

But I wanted to support the company I love. again and again.

I’m flying ED’s or once SSI products since the original Flanker was out. I was 21 then. Flight simulators helped me get a pilot’s license then.

And I’m 45 today...

Nowadays, I was really hoping ED would notice by now that the current business plan might have ran its course.

More and more EA modules flooding us (lasting in EA state for way too long) without taking fast care on the rest of the basic glaring issues we have for so many years - could not “blind” us much further.

I say all that out of love to this hobby , this company and this simulator.

I hope some priorities would change, at least just enough to give us more “Air”, while you go on improve and optimize the core and basics of this great sim, and make it the greatest!

I apologize for the rant in the clouds wish list post, as it’s a more general wish, but clouds is a very good example...

BR,

Ron

Callsign   SETUP

Well...

https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-ama-with-eagle-dynamics-senior-producer-matt-wagner/

That was quick... ;)

+111....

MP clouds sync is a must for combat simming before any other weather issues are dealt with, imho.

We have many flyables by now to keep us busy long enough,

but we badly need a way more convincing updated environment to keep us flying there.

I read the recent Nick Grey’s post which got me to buy the EA Viper, although I was about to sit and wait for core sim improvements first, and never to buy an EA module again.

But I wanted to support the company I love. again and again.

I’m flying ED’s or once SSI products since the original Flanker was out. I was 21 then. Flight simulators helped me get a pilot’s license then.

And I’m 45 today...

Nowadays, I was really hoping ED would notice by now that the current business plan might have ran its course.

More and more EA modules flooding us (lasting in EA state for way too long) without taking fast care on the rest of the basic glaring issues we have for so many years - could not “blind” us much further.

I say all that out of love to this hobby , this company and this simulator.

I hope some priorities would change, at least just enough to give us more “Air”, while you go on improve and optimize the core and basics of this great sim, and make it the greatest!

I apologize for the rant in the clouds wish list post, as it’s a more general wish, but clouds is a very good example...

BR,

Ron

Callsign   SETUP