Oculus Rift MP double vision stutters - possible workaround

Deano87

Hey all.

Ever since the 2.5.4 patch I've had horrible stuttering when entering MP servers with more than just a few units on them. Doesn't seem to matter how long I sit at the screen where you select your aircraft/seat it still gives me horrible double vision once I get into an aircraft. Testing with a couple of friends last night I stumbled across a workaround that seems to return me to pre 2.5.4 performance. Here are the steps.

1. Join the server

2. Sit on the choose aircraft screen for 3-5 mins.

3. Jump in an aircraft and spawn. If game is smooth then congrats go fly, if its giving you horrible double vision stutters like it does for me most of the time then proceed to step 4.

4. Leave the server, returning to the server listing. Do Not close and restart DCS.

5. Rejoin the same sever. The chose seat screen should now hopefully be smooth.

6. Spawn in aircraft, hopefully double vision should be gone.

This seems to work for me. It does not work if you restart DCS between server joins.

It changed <45fps Double vision stuttery hell into 90fps buttery smoothness in the exact same server, exact same aircraft and spawn point and exact same stuff being rendered in view.:huh:

I'd like to hear if this works for anybody else or if it just works for me, So if it works for you please let me know.

D

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

:huh:

This isn't ASW related, ASW won't change the FPS from below 45 to solid 90. Thats sim related weirdness. IMHO anyway.

I've played with ASW settings and its made no difference. And the double-vision stutters i'm getting are not your standard low FPS Oculus stutters, they are much more unpleasant.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• 1 month later...

Same issue here and its frustrating when you're running a 1080Ti

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

• 1 month later...

I seem to be suffering with the same double vision issue, sadly I cannot seem to fix it, never had it before! and only seems to be in multiplayer.

RAF Air UK Website

http://www.rafairuk-dcs.co.uk/

Mike Alpha Tango's YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9oKDSVDDDErRVjRFqgu3bA

Intel i7-6700k

RTX 2080TI

Gigabyte Z170-gaming K3

32gb DDR4 RAM

Hotas Warthog

CV1

I seem to be suffering with the same double vision issue, sadly I cannot seem to fix it, never had it before! and only seems to be in multiplayer.

You flying the Tomcat per chance?

Proud owner of:

Double vision = ram issue. If you have not enough ram this happens. Possible solutions for me. 1, Drop down Settings 2. f10 map zoom in and the F1 back in cockpit and 3, set pagefile amount manual the same as you physical ram. Hope it helps. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Double vision = ram issue. If you have not enough ram this happens. Possible solutions for me. 1, Drop down Settings 2. f10 map zoom in and the F1 back in cockpit and 3, set pagefile amount manual the same as you physical ram. Hope it helps. :D

You are not entirely right.... What you describe might be true for you, with your pc. But this problem occurs in many different ways. Its not DCS related, thats for sure, as the forums is flooded, with this exact problem.

I have tried every solution in the book, including getting my HMD swapped. It wasent until I did a totally clean wipe of pc, and a totally fresh install, it dissapeard.

From what I have learned so far, a pert of the problem is based in the sensors for the Rift, as they are super sensitive, both regarding placement&moving them, also regarding the USB ports, USB load, USB power. Some MOBOs is reported several places as useless for Oculus.

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

I disagree. This problem came about with a DCS update.

Proud owner of:

I get it as well sometimes. For me, if I switch ASW off (R Ctrl + Num 1), wait a few seconds (About 10 seconds) then switch AWS on again (R Ctrl + Num 3 or 4) then its fixed for a while. Often if I die and re-spawn, its sometimes back. Then I just repeat the steps. And other times, it gets so bad, that I have to take off to get higher, then use the steps above to resolve it. Just my 2c

priority of threads

I'm absolutely not sure what causes it. Sometimes it appears when I do a simple F10 - F1.. so to the map and back again. Sometimes it appears when I alt-tab to desktop or whatever. The following does help sometimes: Alt-tab out switch to some other tab, and alt-tab into DCS again. Off to F10 and back with F1. Remove the goggles from your face and put them back on. But there is no such thing as a guarantee... sometimes it works, and sometimes not. Btw it's not double vision. Every lens stutters itself. So closing one eye doesn't help.

The problem is with the newer nvidia drivers. I’ve done extensive testing not only with DCS but other flight sims and racing sim too. The only sure fix is to roll back to 388.58 it’s the only driver that is rock stable. Many oculus vr developers have been trying to get nvidia to address this issue, but it’s been a very slow process. From isn’t main stream enough to get the full attention it deserves by nvidia yet witch is a shame. These ghost stutters are so bad sometimes that taking your head set off and quitting the sim doesn’t solve the problem. Try and get 388.58 and retest.

look at your wingtip sidewinder, then roll your plane. Does the nose of the missile do weird things? If so its ASW / Motion smoothing trying to make up for dropped frames.

I also get it when looking at other airborne fast movers, which ruins the experience. My only option has been to reduce settings to get frame timings down to 11mS so motion smoothing doesnt come on (Vive Pro).

i7 7700k @5GHz, 32GB DDR4 3600, RTX2080TI

look at your wingtip sidewinder, then roll your plane. Does the nose of the missile do weird things? If so its ASW / Motion smoothing trying to make up for dropped frames.

I also get it when looking at other airborne fast movers, which ruins the experience. My only option has been to reduce settings to get frame timings down to 11mS so motion smoothing doesnt come on (Vive Pro).

i7 7700k @5GHz, 32GB DDR4 3600, RTX2080TI

I use this program from Oculus Developer, which also works with the vive.

Which allows you to turn off ASW and hold you're frames at 45 and above depending on you're system.

Make sure you have MSAA x turned off, will give you frames back too.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this problem for a month or so. Finally fixed it yesterday. Installed the lates Nvidia driver (430.39) and dropped my Default Super Sampling to 1.1 in the Oculus Tray Tool. Haven't had a stutter since. Maybe this will help someone.

• 2 weeks later...
:huh:

This isn't ASW related, ASW won't change the FPS from below 45 to solid 90. Thats sim related weirdness. IMHO anyway.

I've played with ASW settings and its made no difference. And the double-vision stutters i'm getting are not your standard low FPS Oculus stutters, they are much more unpleasant.

Wrong it is ASW related. I've found ever since the F-14 came out I've been having these issues. Turning ASW off and back on again fixes it every time.

It's 100% not a ram issue. I have 32gb of DD4 ram... I get this problem It's 100% related to ASW somehow. I turn ASW off.. wait a few seconds.. turn it back on.. it goes away. I also know somebody that has 64gb ram.. and Oculus... same issue. It's not a ram issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I'm having the same issue here. I have just upgraded my graphics card from MSI R9 290X to a 1070Ti. With my old R9 I could run DCS on modest settings with PD of 1.4 and it was perfectly playable. After my upgrade to "VR Ready" card with latest 430.86 drivers, I'm getting horrible stutter with performance down to 11-15FPS according to Oculus Tray Tool but only in multiplayer servers. Single player I get 33-40 on airfield and silky smooth 45+ once in the air. This does point to a Nvidia specific problem. I will have to stop playing DCS in VR until this is fixed.

Note: stutters seem to start as soon as I press the Multiplayer button and the server list shows up.

Edited by Blackbird30

Intel Core i7 3820 @ 3.60GHz

Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology

Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. X79-UD3 (SOCKET 0)

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

GTX 1070Ti 8Gb

238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256G

Oculus rift CV1

TrackIR 5

Saitek X55

If it’s multiplayer then most likely it’s the ai or unit count killing frames. So cpu side not gpu and not much can be done about it. Find a less populated server or upgrade is about all that can be done

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

If it’s multiplayer then most likely it’s the ai or unit count killing frames. So cpu side not gpu and not much can be done about it. Find a less populated server or upgrade is about all that can be done

Could it be that the Nvidia driver is harder on CPU? As I said I didn't have the problem with R9 290X (inferior card)

Intel Core i7 3820 @ 3.60GHz

Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology

Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. X79-UD3 (SOCKET 0)

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

GTX 1070Ti 8Gb

238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256G

Oculus rift CV1

TrackIR 5

Saitek X55

• 1 year later...
It's 100% not a ram issue. I have 32gb of DD4 ram... I get this problem It's 100% related to ASW somehow. I turn ASW off.. wait a few seconds.. turn it back on.. it goes away. I also know somebody that has 64gb ram.. and Oculus... same issue. It's not a ram issue.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Holy Necro-posting batman. This issue hasn’t been around for a long time, thankfully lol.

Proud owner of: