[FIXED] Bombing in RR mode (Radar bombing) not working

toilet2000

I've watched your track and I noticed that you did not set the target QFE. The radar altimeter indicated 200 m, but the barometric one indicated something below zero. The red warning light just above and to the left of the CI was on to indicate that something is wrong (often it has to do with your altitude). If you set QFE properly and fly at 200 m above target, then you will find that the bombs drop. I've checked this by taking control of your track.

I've watched your track and I noticed that you did not set the target QFE. The radar altimeter indicated 200 m, but the barometric one indicated something below zero. The red warning light just above and to the left of the CI was on to indicate that something is wrong (often it has to do with your altitude). If you set QFE properly and fly at 200 m above target, then you will find that the bombs drop. I've checked this by taking control of your track.

This is true for the Nav release (i.e. if you stay in Nav master mode and go trigger unsafe), where you actually need QFE.

For RR (radar release), it shouldn't need QFE at all since it is using radar ranging. The problem is, switching to ANF and going trigger unsafe doesn't seem to switch the systems to RR bombing, but instead it keeps everything just as in Nav bombing.

That, and the RR symbology from the manual do not match the symbology shown in game at all. In fact, the symbology in A2 (B-Scope) mode is simply wrong.

The radar is used for ground mapping, I dont think radar ranging is active. I mean, in radar ranging the antenna probably has to stop scanning order to achieve a high update rate of measurements.This holds for nav and rr bombing. In any case, a barometric altitude below zero is a good reason for the Viggen to inhibit release.

The 3 km cross is displayed on my system. It does not correspond to the manual 100%, but is is there. In A1 mode it looks ok, in A2 mode, well I do not really understand it.

The problem I am having with rr bombing is that the bombs are released too late. It is as if the bombs are release at the location of the 3km cross when trigger was pulled.

Anyway, did you try setting the qfe?

The radar is used for ground mapping, I dont think radar ranging is active. I mean, in radar ranging the antenna probably has to stop scanning order to achieve a high update rate of measurements.This holds for nav and rr bombing. In any case, a barometric altitude below zero is a good reason for the Viggen to inhibit release.

I think you're absolutely right about that. Makes totally sense, and it corresponds to the description of radar ranging used in the manual.

I'll try setting QFE as soon as I'm home and report whether it works or not.

Although there is still an issue with the symbology (both in A1 where the symbology is not a cross, but a simple curve like in the RB-04 symbology, and in A2 symbology where it simply does not match at all what is presented).

Actually, I think the A2 radar mode isn't what it is supposed to be. As far as the documentation goes, I feel like the A2 mode should be more useful than it is currently and certainly more detailed. It seems like the radar continues to scan at the full 123 deg at 110deg/s pattern instead of the 64 deg at 60 deg/s pattern described on page 112 of the manual.

That, and the transformation from A-Scope to B-scope seems to put forward the low amount of rays using for the raycasting simulation of the radar.

• 5 months later...

Guys, is RR (radar release) bombing in mode ANF working for you reliable?

I'm asking because currently I have problems with that mode in OB 2.5.5.32533.

Following the manual I should do:

1. Mode ANF. Commanded altitude =Safety altitude.

2. Trigger UNSAFE

3. Trigger PULLED & held when the target radar return passes the firing

range line at 3 km. Altitudes numbers placed on the right. Distance line starts to shrink.

1 + 2 I am doing, and its fine.

But if I follow 3. strictly, bombs do not fall on target.

In the current version and on my machine it works best if I wait for the trigger to be PULLED after the distance line started to flash (with trigger UNSAFE from the beginning on).

So the manual - IMHO - is wrong here (or the behavior of the current model).

It should then read:

"3. Distance line starts to shrink when the target radar return passes the firing range line at 3 km. Trigger PULLED & held. Altitudes numbers placed on the right. "

Hard to describe all this, but I did a lot of test during the last days.

2019-06-29:

Finally, I made a short video describing what is happening in the cockpit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u47fC6p_B_4

Edited by TOViper
added video

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

I am on stable which was just merged with OB, so we should have the same RR behavior.

I just did a run in mode A2 with this, and bombs landed perfectly using the "by the book" procedure. I went trigger unsafe at some time before the cross was over the target, then held the trigger as soon as the return was under the cross, and held until bomb release.

The problem with your method, is RR method in ANF is designed when the waypoint location is an unreliable source of information, which is why it uses the radar return to set the target. If the waypoint is exactly on target, you could stay in NAV master mode with RR and use that and it will be just as accurate.

Neither mode I believe provides radar ranging, so QFE needs to be precise.

If the waypoint isn't exactly accurate, then the distance line won't be a good indicator for holding the trigger.

I will do a run in mode A1 and see if I see the same behavior. In the mean time, try giving it a shot in radar mode A2.

Hello LastRifleRound!

I am back from holiday, and thus went back into my Viggen.

I just did a run in mode A2 with this, and bombs landed perfectly using the "by the book" procedure. I went trigger unsafe at some time before the cross was over the target, then held the trigger as soon as the return was under the cross, and held until bomb release.

Yep, this worked for me pretty well in the past, but only when the target (a house) was exactly at waypoint position.

If the waypoint isn't exactly accurate, then the distance line won't be a good indicator for holding the trigger.

Let's assume:

+ The waypoint is definitely somewhere else than the target

+ The radar is in mode A2

+ QFE is set correctly

+ The distance line is definitely no help

My question is: when using TRIGGER UNSAFE, and when pulling the TRIGGER?

Edit: By using radar mode A2 I was finally able to spot targets on the radar screen and find them coming "below" the 3-km distance line.

I am flying in VR, thus I had to put much more attention to the radar screen, which I was lacking before.

Working great, good hits all the time.

Thanks for clearing this up a bit for me! :)

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1