[ RESOLVED] FPS drop with RADAR ALTIMETER on.

Sawydz

Hi Marnes23,

I can confirm your observation. Was on a longer mission in Caucasus today. Got below 5000ft AGL with radar and radar altimeter on and frame rate dropped.

Switching the radar to standby (prechauffage[?]) cured the problem and radar alt could be used. Radar in SIL mode didn't help.

Regards

Jens

Interesting. This suggests an interaction between radio altimeter and radar (code-wise) that could help understand hence solve the bug.

Will certainly try to shut off the radar next time it happens to me, so far I've only tried to shut off the radio altimeter.

spacer.png

Gave it a try yesterday and am now in a position to confirm that shutting down the radar (to PCH or Off, SIL is not enough) also allowed two mates and me to get our FPS back while still enjoying the radioaltimeter to land back at Khasab.

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...

How is this STILL not fixed? And no confirmation from Razbam officials either after all tracks supplied.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Razbam, Care to comment? Radio altimeter is often needed, why this should be fixed. In next OB ? Otherwise very happy with the recent Mirage update. Had me play through the campaign again, albeit with the radio alt off... :)

Edited by chrisofsweden

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

If I m not mistaken ,this bug is at least listed in Razbam Bug Tracker on their homepage.

Regards,

Snappy

Edit:

Yes,just checked again - it's there ,listed under leonardos tasks

Edited by Snappy
Yes,just checked again - i it's there

• 1 month later...

Just got back into the Mirage for a week now, flying, making missions, testing missions and discovered this problem last night. Didn't know what it was until finding this thread. Got a track file is someone wants or needs it. Reading above users say already on RazBam's radar which is good.

But obviously wondering when this will get fixed. Kind of game killing regarding this module.

Yesterday i had the same behaviour ...

On approach to Kutaisi my FPS dropped down dramaticaly from 60 fps (vsync) to r.a. 35 fps.

I watched for my flood lights, but they were not on !

As i remember by the Radar altimeter bug i switch the Radar altimeter off ...

is not good for landing but the frames came back :music_whistling:

next experience ...

with this fps drop the flood lights do nothing with the frames !!??

if all is right, what may (individuell) cause these problems on my computer ?

i have no idea :(

all tipps from ED's forum were not succesful ...

too much ...

• 1 month later...
fixed

:thumbup: Hooray, I had became reluctant to turn on the radar altimeter.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

No, the bug is still there.

AFAIK Decoy meant the bug had been tested/fixed in an internal build - the patch/fix is still to be pushed to ED --> Open Beta --> Release.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance we will see this fix soon? Still happening in latest OB.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• 2 months later...

I knew something was wrong !

I just flew almost every WWII campaigns above Normandy and my FPS were perfect (beside the bombing runs of the B-17s)

Around 100 aircrafts in the air and the same with ground units above a proven FPS demanding map and no flaws ...

Started the M2000 and did notice that immediately.

When coming back to the homeplate FPS are dropping and some buttons and axis are not always responding immediately.

I was thinking about the new lightings ...

The bug is definitely still present on the Stable as we speak.

I tried to turn off the radar altimeter with no joy.

I'll try to switch the RDI off next time.

Damn, this bug has been reported for so long.

One more reason for not buying Razbam stuff that soon ...

The bug is definitely still present on the Stable as we speak.

I tried to turn off the radar altimeter with no joy.

The radar altimeter bug could specifically be remedied by turning off the radar alt. If that doesn't bring back your FPS, then honestly you are experiencing a different bug.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

The radar altimeter bug could specifically be remedied by turning off the radar alt. If that doesn't bring back your FPS, then honestly you are experiencing a different bug.

As some said in this thread,

Acting on the RDI is sometimes the solution that works, sometimes it is the alt radar.

I'll try both.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm experiencing this also (I believe).

Frame rate becomes stuttery. Turning off radar altimeter improves a lot.

Seems to happen in some ares more than others. I like to leave radar alt on all the time.

EDIT: Definitely still occurs.

Just had solid repro flying over steep mountains with no other aircraft around.

Frame rate over 100fps consistently, then near mountains lots of stutter. Showed FPS on screen and saw it drop as low as 20fps (lots of variation).

Flipping radar alt off immediately smoothed fps back to 100fps. Repeated this test a few times to verify.

Was testing Instant Action Missile Combat mission after all aircraft destroyed, flying in straight line over mountains.

Edited by DimSim

• 4 weeks later...
I'm experiencing this also (I believe).

Frame rate becomes stuttery. Turning off radar altimeter improves a lot.

Seems to happen in some ares more than others. I like to leave radar alt on all the time.

EDIT: Definitely still occurs.

Just had solid repro flying over steep mountains with no other aircraft around.

Frame rate over 100fps consistently, then near mountains lots of stutter. Showed FPS on screen and saw it drop as low as 20fps (lots of variation).

Flipping radar alt off immediately smoothed fps back to 100fps. Repeated this test a few times to verify.

Was testing Instant Action Missile Combat mission after all aircraft destroyed, flying in straight line over mountains.

I got the same problem decending from high altitude to land at Tbilisi, OB SP mission last night. My frame rate dropped to lowest 7 with altimeter on. Switching Altimeter off restored the frame rate.

Edited by honeycool75

• 1 month later...

I made a discovery regarding this bug, when your FPS drop, you can disable your radar (AA radar in A position) and the FPS will be back up again. When it's in the EM or SIL position is tanks the FPS.

The bug only shows when both the radar and the radar altimeter are ON.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen, I apologize I'm getting here so late but I'd like to get this sorted quickly and rest assured this will be given highest priority. Is this still present in the latest OB patch from 23/09/2020? I am not experiencing it myself. If it is indeed still present please attach a new .trk file so I can bring it to the dev team asap.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.