How to Set Up your Pagefile for DCS World

NineLine

On 3/17/2023 at 2:37 PM, Kiwi_Viper said:

well i got 64gb too, and ive set it to 35gb and its stopped the game crashing , last few days its done nothing but big crash every single time and page files is only thing thats making it fairly stable for now

Aye, DCS increased the working set in memory almost 100% since last patches. It was not like that before. Now even freeflight missions goes to the page file with 32gb. 

This is not going in a good direction. Currently I'm even thinking about 128GB ram. That's insane. I tried foothold SP and working set was whopping 50GB. After 10 minutes. Where it started with 40GB.  

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, 

my DCS game has been crashing every single time almost without fail when i attempt to load a game. Ive been working with @BIGNEWY on how to get this fixed, ive been reading as many threads as possible and have no luck. ive set my page file size for 32gb on my SSD (as shown in the video) mods are removed, MSAA x4 or off, slow repair each time, restart etc etc and NOTHING works.

the one time i did get it to go was when Steam forced itself open and launched the game. Ive messed with this stupid virtual memory menu so many times. make C system managed, make it not, do the same to G, make C 32768mb, make G 32768mb etc etc. no combo of anything works. I have no mods, or anything that should prevent it from working. at this point, Im at a loss for what to do and really hope someone could help me. if any of you have had this issue could you please share what you did? 

pics attached show the loading screen just before it crashes every time and the page file setup (one example of) 

thanks 

i7770k 

32gb 

3080ti

1T SSD (samsung)

Reverb G2nullnull

image.png

image.jpeg

dcs.log-20230506-062552.zip dcs.log-20230506-064632.zip dcs.log-20230506-065306.zip

Would you try it once more. Setting object textures medium, terrain textures low and motion blur turned off and blur flat shadows turned off. 

Currently you have both textures high and motion blur turned on (motion blur is not working at this moment), blur flat shadows is also resource intensive on gpu (also on VRAM). 

On 3/22/2021 at 11:02 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Gryzor is correct,

I have not increased my pagefile as there is no need to with 32GB RAM.

Pagefile increase will help users on 16GB or less.

thanks

Have 16GB. After coming back from half a year of a break I updated everything and now suffer a lot of crashes everytime I play on multiplayer. Have increased the pagefile and lowered the graphics: didn't help. Created a thread

Edited by TheCabal

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

Next in line: F-5 II , MiG-19 , MiG-23 MLA

Wishlist: PA-100 Tornado, F-104 Starfighter, MiG-25 Foxbat, A-6 Intruder

• 2 months later...

...you can do whatever you want, but if the Simulator is broken and not optimized there is no way out of the problem. It must be the developers who fix this problem not us.

Inviato dal mio SM-G998B utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 4

Firma DCS.png

CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K   3.60 GHz - DDR4 32,0 GB - MSI RTX3080ti - Win 11 64bit

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Sn8ke said:

is there a clear answer on calculating page file size?

Yes: experiment and use what works best for you.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

3 hours ago, Sn8ke said:

No answers here, is there a clear answer on calculating page file size?

have a look here. https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2016/05/10/how-to-manage-windows-10-virtual-memory#:~:text=How to calculate Windows 10,3) x the initial size. for DCS it is dependent on how much memory is being used by "other than DCS (WINDOWS ET AL)" and DCS. meaning if your DCS is using up all of your RAM and going into VRAM, you need to allow for this. how much is what your pagefile should be set to. i think most people notice 64 GB total is adequate. also look at unnecessary processes in Windows using memory in the background. perhaps close some of those. my system is quite clean and still uses 10 GB from the start.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, bravobuller said:

i recently started getting these errors.

but only when playing MP.

will a SP-mission, be able to test the system, in same way as a MP will?

best to start a new topic and post your DCS.LOG. it will have clues to your problem.

• Like 2

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 2 months later...

Just a general remark on pagefile settings i've been using for quite a while regarding professional video and audio work:

Turn on Backround services, create a pagefile almost as large as your memory size on a separate (not the boot) drive and leave a page file on your boot drive active for about 200MB.

Turn pagefiles OFF (none) for all other drives. (unmark "Automatic manage paging file size ....")

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Deadpixel said:

I've been having this "More out of memory in ed_malloc" crash since the last update but my pagefile is the same as it's always been at 151807MB (I have 32GB RAM), which should be PLENTY.

best to start a new topic and post your DCS.LOG. it will have clues to your problem.

• 3 weeks later...

So, it says in the video to adjust this setting for your fastest drive and then disabled the others. I have 4 identical NVME drives, so should I choose the one windows is installed on, the game is installed on, or one that is mainly just photo storage? 

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, RickJamesBish said:

So, it says in the video to adjust this setting for your fastest drive and then disabled the others. I have 4 identical NVME drives, so should I choose the one windows is installed on, the game is installed on, or one that is mainly just photo storage? 

Most people use the C drive where windows is installed as the pagefie disk, you can choose another if you wish to, using the fastest drive is the best option. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi to all

I installed DCS Open Beta and DCS Stable on my SSD Samsung. It's not SSD C:, but D:. Secondary ssd.

Obviously the software is installed on C:.

Here bellow how i set my pagefile config. With 32 Gb ram.

Is it correct?

Thanks

Lorenzo F.

ScreenShot_20240215180552.png

Edited by lorfar

"I told Orville and i told Wilbur, that thing will never fly" The last fomous words

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi. What we see here is that you're using two pagefiles, one on each drive. If your C:\ drive is a HDD, you want to remove the C:\ pagefile.

In order to accomplish this, select the line "C:\  [Windows]", check "Nessun file dip paging", then click "Imposta". The change will be taken into account after a reboot.

• Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

19 ore fa, Flappie ha scritto:

Hi. What we see here is that you're using two pagefiles, one on each drive. If your C:\ drive is a HDD, you want to remove the C:\ pagefile.

In order to accomplish this, select the line "C:\  [Windows]", check "Nessun file dip paging", then click "Imposta". The change will be taken into account after a reboot.

My C:\ drive is an ssd.

On my c ssd i must set "No pagefile" or "System managed file" (in italian "Dimensioni gestite dal sistema")?

Edited by lorfar

"I told Orville and i told Wilbur, that thing will never fly" The last fomous words

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You want only one pagefile, not two. I understand both your drives are SSDs. So pick one of them. You should choose the fastest one, but you must ensure it has enough free space (say, 50 GB of free space is good).

Once you know which drive you want your pagefile on:

• Set said drive to 32768 - 32768.
  • And set the other drive to "Nessun file di paging".

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.