AI/Wingman Fuel Consumption

AI/Wingman Fuel Consumption is still much to High. If u can't fix it. Please give us a Option for Unlimited Fuel for Player AI Wingman. It's so immersion Breaking.

For example I have in my F18 7000/13030 units left and one of my 4 Wingman is Bingo and sec, later he ejectet.

PLEASE it is a Major Bug! It's effects every most Singelplayer Missions.

The AI has a habit of going 100% + Full Afterburner on every maneuver. That is absolutely fatal. I suspect that it is very time-consuming to learn AI the useful use of the afterburn. ED should just install the option to adjust the fuel burn rate for AI Wingman. A dropdownmenue in the options with: AI Wingman Fuel Consumption = 1/1 (Normal 1.0) + 1/2 (half 0.5) + 1/3 (33% 0.33) + 1/6 (15% 0.15) + OFF (infinite) , Personally, I think 1/3 (33% 0.33) would be ecact the right value. Anyway, after my observations ...

AND the AI bingo value should be about 40% of the maximum fuel mong. At the moment it seems to be 5% or less.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

AI performance is strange all around. I set up a hornet with the same loadout and while he climbs in burner, (with restrict burner enabled) I can follow him at mil power. Also, when was the last time you landed a hornet with full flaps at 197kt? That's the way the AI does it apparently even though a human would be landing at 145kt. Oh and the rapid sudden deceleration on a runway that can't be done by a player flown module.

Agree that workarounds should be enabled if the AI aren't going to perform realistic

• 4 months later...
You could always set the "restrict afterburner" option in the advanced way-point options menu and limit their use of afterburner until they get to the battle area. Then turn on use of afterburner and all should be well.

Doesn't work. I set all waypoints for Restrict Afterburner=on, and the AI still used AB.

• 1 month later...

Just in general, there needs to be a pretty thorough review of the various restrictions that you're supposed to be able to apply to AI behaviour through waypoint actions. Half of them only seem to be vague recommendations (target engagement selections), and the other half are outright ignored at all times.

The scripting engine has lots of hooks that suggest a far greater ability to tune AI behaviour than is actually the case, and if all of those worked, a fair bunch of issues with AI pilots (and ground vehicles) would probably go away. As it is, you can only suggest and hope… often in vain. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a lot of this comes down to a few core functions being bugged so that conditions aren't checked properly and the AI is allowed to just use default behaviours irrespective of any settings the mission maker tries to impose.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• 4 weeks later...

I had a similar Situation yesterday...

It was in F-14 Mission ´Protect the Viksburg´:

I was just past WP1, Fuel State 120000 lbs remaining, no use of Afterburner at all; when the Wingman says "Bingo Fuel".

Like, how is that even possible? :huh:

Same Situation with the Mirage 2000 Campaign, on the 3rd or so Mission with the Helo-Recon.

Thats a real bummer and really needs a Hotfix. I´m all for quality modules and stuff, but before ED throws out one Module after another (quite exaggerated, i know) they need there core-problems fixed.

And the AI with there Spaceship-like Flight patterns and irrational fuel-management is really the Elephant in the Room.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Hi all

we do have this reported to the team, AI using more fuel than they should, and it will get tweaked, but I can not give an eta yet.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 5 months later...
Doesn't work. I set all waypoints for Restrict Afterburner=on, and the AI still used AB.

They do use the afterburner after setting "Restrict Afterburner=on", but in a more limited way.

AI will only use AB when absolutely necessary.

I had done some testing on this, and the AI flights seem to last longer with the restriction on.

But since ED has already accepted that there is a problem, we have to wait until there is a fix.

Rig - I7-9700K/GIGABYTE Z390D/RTX-2080 SUPER/32-GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RAM/1-TB SSD

Mods - A10C / F18C / AV8B / Mig21 / Su33 / SC / F14B

So is there ever going to be a fix.

Maybe we all do a review in steam and totally point this out. Been halting this game for som,e time… seems like it has to continue. You cant run a simple mission with ai wingmen and it will fail. ´Please ED time to fix this know.

• ED Team

The AI wingmen are trying to keep formation and will be burning more fuel to do that.

We had a similar issue with spitfire wingmen, as soon as I have any news I will pass it on to you all.

thanks you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...
The AI wingmen are trying to keep formation and will be burning more fuel to do that.

We had a similar issue with spitfire wingmen, as soon as I have any news I will pass it on to you all.

thanks you

Not sure if it’s related, but I’ve noticed in the F10 map that the speed that the players aircraft is shown seems to be in GroundSpeed, where the AI seems to be at a higher Airspeed at what seems like True Airspeed maybe?

I was flying on an S-3 earlier, plugged into the basket at 240kts IAS, and the F10 map showed me at 291kts, and the S-3 at 329kts... If the AI fuel burn is being calculated using a combination of speed and altitude, then it's fairly clear from these numbers why it's burning fuel a lot quicker than it should be...

I only noticed as when fling into a strong headwind, the AI wingman I had set to follow me couldn’t keep up, and lagged about a mile behind. When a trigger fired to get him to form up on the tanker in the observation position though, no problem, he stuck on its wing without an issue.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Further to illustrate my point about the differences between AI and Human players and why there may be discrepancies in fuel burn rates and holding formations when mixing humans and AI...

In these images, the Carrier is doing 10 Knots into a 16 Knot wind, for a combined 26 Knot wind over the deck. Also, note that these are separate flights and not part of a single group, so there will be no correlation of speed between the human and the AI aircraft.

Player Aircraft on the deck = 26 kts IAS

Screen-200601-120235.png

AI aircraft on the deck = 0 kts IAS

Screen-200601-120243.png

Player Aircraft in F10 map = 10 kts GS

Screen-200601-120254.png

AI Aircraft in F10 map = 0 kts GS

Screen-200601-120259.png

The exact same result is generated in both the Stable and Open beta versions of 2.5.6.49798, and both are clean installs with no mods.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here's a quick couple of track files. The mission has an AI hornet being followed by a second AI hornet, flying True north, and a Human hornet being followed by an AI hornet, again, flying True north.

Here there is no wind, and note that if you check the F10 map, all of the aircraft are flying at the same Ground Speed.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjB8XCqYiep2geoSN2wJNtBBh84mKA?e=gLnggh

With this version, I added a 40kt wind and you'll note a few things. The AI flight of 2 and the human hornet are reporting roughly the same Ground speed (~350kts), yet the human hornet is pulling away from the AI group. Secondly, the AI wingman following the human hornet is reporting a much higher speed trying to catch the human hornet which is reportedly flying slower, but it never catches up... It actually seems that this AI hornet is reporting the correct ground speed, and the human-piloted aircraft is not, and this is what is leading to the AI never being able to form up as specified in its waypoint actions.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjB8XCqYiep2geoSN2wJNtBBh84mKA?e=gLnggh

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]