F/A 18 is a horrible plane

razorseal

Gotcha! Clickbait!!! lol

Listen to these haters from when the plane was being built!!!

That was way before my time but that sound strikingly familiar like the sort of speil CBC was spiting with the F35 just a few years ago using so called " Subject matter experts" like Pierre Sprey to convince viewers its a lemon, overpriced, and inferior to A/C its replacing....

So it seems History has repeated itself, and OFC when a given A/C does have an opportunity prove itself in combat, the liberal media and armchair experts finally shut up because there comes a point where you just can't argue against success without looking like a total fool even to the uninformed on aviation matters.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Hehe yea. I posted the above and this one a while back in the photo/video thread. Funny to see how it all repeats itself.

- The Northrop F-18 Cobra :)

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

1 - Everything at the 1 minute mark was completely true.

2 - Canada as a country was still pissed about the Avro Arrow program's demise. Their Hornet procurement was a direct result and cause of that programs' cancellation.

F/A-18A Hornet

Better Than Nothing.

Hornet? better than nothing? Honestly go troll elsewhere. The F/A18 was not only a a modern design for its hayday, but became a combat proven success.

Besides the acquisition of the Hornet had nothing to do with Arrow cancellation since it happened long before it.

Prior to the F/A18A the Canadian Airforce was operating the CF104 ( fighter bomber and tactical nuke bomber) , F101 Voodoo ( bomber interceptor). and the CF5 Freedom fighter.

When a new A/C was necessary The F/A18A Hornet was chosen at the end of it all because the Tomcat and Eagle were too expensive ( at least to the # of aircraft the RCAF wanted to maintain) to purchase and operate and not multirole ( at least not to the same extent) That left the Hornet and Viper as the more affordable options. The Hornet was chosen fro mthe two because unlike the Viper it met the RCAF requirement for two engines even if it was pricier than the F16.

IN RCAF service The Hornet replaced 3 airframes being able to fill all role of fighter, Interceptor, and as a strike aircraft. Hornet in general proved to be a robust, reliable and easy to maintain workhorse fighter that could fill multiple roles. The Hornet has served Canada well, as it has Australia and the US. AS an american you should especially know that given your Navy used to use it, and is still in USMC service.

Canada did eventually modernize its Hornets in the 2000s, in 2 phases basically making it contemporary of a USMC F/A18A ++, although they are utilizing LM Sniper TGP instead of the L-POD

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

...The Hornet replaced 3 airframes being able to fill all role of fighter, Interceptor, and as a strike aircraft. Hornet in general proved to be a Robust, reliable and easy to maintain workhorse fighter that could fill multiple roles all the whilst reducing operational costs by replacing 3 aircraft types. The Hornet has served Canada well, as it has Australia and the US....

S! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

No. Their job is to report the truth so that people can make informed decisions.

Criticism is a method of doing just that, especially when relaying unfamiliar subjects.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

@USMC_Trev and MiG21bisFishbedL

Sorry. My remark was more of a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that the media (Of different countries), negatively report on certain matters and use erroneous data to support their statements.

Watched video. And after they bashed the F/A 18 closer to the end they highlight the good parts of it as well.

With F-35 it is just a total basing of the F-35. And using half-truths and completely wrong information to do so. It shows me to what level the media has devolved.

All I need to know about F-35 is what Russian fighter experts say about it.

One stated that he foresee that it will be success just as the F-16 it is replacing.

@USMC_Trev and MiG21bisFishbedL

Sorry. My remark was more of a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that the media (Of different countries), negatively report on certain matters and use erroneous data to support their statements.

Watched video. And after they bashed the F/A 18 closer to the end they highlight the good parts of it as well.

With F-35 it is just a total basing of the F-35. And using half-truths and completely wrong information to do so. It shows me to what level the media has devolved.

All I need to know about F-35 is what Russian fighter experts say about it.

One stated that he foresee that it will be success just as the F-16 it is replacing.

It's a fair and tempting response. It's all good.

When it comes to something as complex and competitive as fighter design, you should always remember:

-It's reporters who are usually laypersons trying to translate expert talk into something the everyday Joe and Jill can digest. What may be seen as dishonest could just be a reporter who didn't know what to prioritize in reporting a story.

-Misinformation exists and will happen since it's plenty easy to to smear something anonymously. And, this isn't even a new phenomenon. Sir Richard Owen (1804-1892) often wrote into magazines in 19th century UK under aliases to praise his own findings and detract his opponents. So, if some dude in the 1800s can do it, it's even easier nowadays.

-The simplicity required for reporting compounds misinformation by leaving little wiggle room. The half hour television block format leaves very little time to go into detail and news sites compete with newsblogs for clicks, so hyperbole sells.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

^ Exactly. As an astrophysicist I see this every time a discovery makes it to the general public; by the time it gets there it's so washed up and inaccurate I end up facepalming at the whoever is doing the reporting more often than not.

That generally has made me veeeery skeptical of pretty much any report you get about, say, the F-35; by the time some military report gets to me it's likely to have been boiled down and cherry picked to the point where it doesn't have enough information for me to form an educated opinion. On top of that, I am not military and certainly do not have the competence to judge that aircraft, just like an F-35 pilot does not have the competence to judge my science.

^ Exactly. As an astrophysicist I see this every time a discovery makes it to the general public; by the time it gets there it's so washed up and inaccurate I end up facepalming at the whoever is doing the reporting more often than not.

That generally has made me veeeery skeptical of pretty much any report you get about, say, the F-35; by the time some military report gets to me it's likely to have been boiled down and cherry picked to the point where it doesn't have enough information for me to form an educated opinion. On top of that, I am not military and certainly do not have the competence to judge that aircraft, just like an F-35 pilot does not have the competence to judge my science.

And, this is all before you throw charlatans into the mixture, like Pierre "Wild Turkey" Sprey, Kent "Doctor" Hovind, and Giorgio "Hairstylist Apocalypse" Tsoukalos.

I just looked up those people and honestly I'm not sure Pierre Sprey belongs with the other two (to me he sounds like he's just biased towards the old Fighter Mafia doctrine even now), but yes, those kinds of people certainly do not help.

The F-18, the most reliable airplane that the Air Force and Navy can have, is a reliable MRCA, and has proven it for years and continues to demonstrate it, and above all it is beautiful, and the superhornet is even more beautiful

My PC:

i7-4770k

GTX 1060 6Gb

SSD 500 GB

16 RAM

[sIGPIC]https://store.carrierbuilders.net/images/F-18SE-002.jpg[/sIGPIC]

Don't get me started on the media and the way things are reported.

To give them their due, they are rarely making the criticism, they merely report that somebody has done so. But in this 24 media the frenzy for stories means that anybody with a Twitter account can get coverage regardless of the merit.

In the UK the BBC have a policy where they try to offer a counterpoint to most stories which is a great idea in theory but the number of times I've seen an expert with years of experience and numerous qualifications debating with some random member of the public who has nothing but a flight-of-fantasy opinion.

End of the day, active service is the only critic that matters.

I just looked up those people and honestly I'm not sure Pierre Sprey belongs with the other two (to me he sounds like he's just biased towards the old Fighter Mafia doctrine even now), but yes, those kinds of people certainly do not help.

But thats why hes a quack....

the FM doctrine was kinda flawed from the get go, but to today its outright irrelevant. Its like his understanding of aviation technology has not progressed, IE its almost as if Sprey, is still mentally stuck in the 1960s pr early 70s of aviation capabilities and philosophies.

the argument of Cost effectiveness has merits.... ( see a/c like F16 or F/A18, or Gripern are example of cost effectivnness done right ) but not if you built an aircraft exaclty how the FM wanted which would have resulted in a something that would be obselete in DAy 1. He started to hate the F16 from the very first production model. ( F16A from day one already had unguided muntions with CCIP/CCRP delivery modes) just becuase AF gave it secodnary A/G capability and not a pure dogfighter. He hated the F16 even more when they turned it into a full on Multirole fighter with the C models and gave it Radar guided missiles ( Amraams)

like the sort of arguments Pierre Sprey to support is viewpoints are at timesjust biased, rely on misinformation, in other instances they are outright quack.

LIke dont tell me its not mental for a person to be making claims that a a F15E strike eagle is so vulnerable vs an A10 against ground fire that 0.22 calibre weapon can shoot down it down and therefore A10 > F15E

main-qimg-7a158c1cc7acb20ea673b82b74c43a71

Here is an old document by Sprey

http://pogoarchives.org/labyrinth/11/12.pdf

which still reflects his viewpoints even many years later.... ( a PDF presentation)

http://pogoarchives.org/labyrinth/09/07.pdf

the second link especially is especially might be comical for any halfway informed defense tech ( armor and/ or aviation) enthusiasts

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro