F/A 18 is a horrible plane

razorseal

He doesn’t understand modern electronic warfare. He thinks missilery is as unreliable and gimmicky as it was in the 60s. He perpetuities the idea that dogfighting performance is still the most important aspect of aircraft design. He is unwilling to accept that moden air combat is totally different now then it was in his day.

In his second “article” he talks about the A-10s durability but fails to mention the fact that in any sort of contested airspace it’s extremely vulnerable. Play DCS if don’t believe me. Second, the A-10s true operational effectiveness is only achieved in large part when the airspace has already been sanitized by other aircraft like the F-15E. Third the F-15E is not designed for CAS it’s designed for interdiction. Something the A-10 is not capable of.

Sensationalism at its best, but people actually listen too him :)

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

He doesn’t understand modern electronic warfare. He thinks missilery is as unreliable and gimmicky as it was in the 60s. He perpetuities the idea that dogfighting performance is still the most important aspect of aircraft design. He is unwilling to accept that moden air combat is totally different now then it was in his day.

In his second “article” he talks about the A-10s durability but fails to mention the fact that in any sort of contested airspace it’s extremely vulnerable. Play DCS if don’t believe me. Second, the A-10s true operational effectiveness is only achieved in large part when the airspace has already been sanitized by other aircraft like the F-15E. Third the F-15E is not designed for CAS it’s designed for interdiction. Something the A-10 is not capable of.

To those of us who know aviation, the press does not deceive us so easily

My PC:

i7-4770k

GTX 1060 6Gb

SSD 500 GB

16 RAM

[sIGPIC]https://store.carrierbuilders.net/images/F-18SE-002.jpg[/sIGPIC]

Sure F15E wasn't designed for CAS, but even actual military brass have agree some the capabilities overlap between other airframes. The F15E has in fact been used for CAS in various theaters its been deployed in along with various other A/C including B1 bombers. Hence the prior reasoning of trying to retire the A10 and have other airframes fill in the slack when sequestration was happening.

Im not trying to start a debate on which is better for CAS ( yes ok the A10 CAS Jesus) but i would like to point out to remember that at the end of it all, CAS is a mission not an air-frame, and in todays times of networked battlespace and precision guided munitions, the need for a slow moving treetop level lawnmower aren't as necessary as it once was. In fact ever since the Charlie the A10's have been used more like mid altitude bombers than "down in the weeds" treetop level lawnmowers.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I've been looking for this treasure.

i know its entertaining because not just because not just with the absurd way spreys reasoning or argument for the points are formulated but by a pure factual basis has many outright falsities. Misinformation and outright lying is just absolutely petty and immoral of a person just to try to validity their point of view.

F15E can hold much more than 4 GPS guided bombs and certainly employ a wider variety of munitions.

M1 Abrams doesn't have the same battle sight accuracy as an M48 ( HAs mr sprey ever heard of digital Fire control/ laser rangefinding? or Thermal Imaging? Let alone datalinking and battlefield management systems? )

M1 abrams doesn't take 1 hour to fully refuel every 3 hours. reloading isn't necessarily slower than an M48, and It certainly isnt really weaker against AT from the Rear and sides than an M48. He argues M1 is more flammable ( i presume his reasoning is becuase of Gas vs Diesel) but argueably the M48 is more "flammable" because without having seperated ammo compartment with blow off panels, that M48 is going to be the more prone to cook offs than M1 tank.

He avoids comparing guns direclty. the 120mm gun and its ammuntion is far better than a 105mm would acheive. the 105 is simply inadequate for todays times because now even modernized T72B's and T90s are exported.

Both penetrable by current ammuntion? lol ok by that logic why have develop anything more armored than an IFV.......

He claims there has not been one live fire test against an M1 abrams.. False, There is public youtube footage of an M1's ammo stowage penetrated to show internal crew compartment is protected from ammo cook off.

IF the gulf war can be used to draw an Analogy. IF M1A1's totally were technologically superior to Iraqi T72M's , making mincemeat of them, then an M1A2 would curbstomp an M48 or M60 even more than a T72.

As most know, there is good reason why Sprey had already lost any remaining credibility in the defense analysis community and DOD after the gulf war. Hes only has used as a "SME" in some instances by some biased media outlets with hidden agendas, most notably they did using his opinions on the F35.his speil might work on totally uninformed layperson, but otherwise is laughed off by anyone else. Honestly there has simply been to many real world examples of modern technology totally dominating larger qunatities of cheaper and cruder military technology for this Spreys perspective to carry any real weight.

Anyone seen the debate between Sprey and retired Lt Colonel David Berke regarding the F35?? IF anyone not watched it I recommend watching that on youtube.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Sure F15E wasn't designed for CAS, but even actual military brass have agree some the capabilities overlap between other airframes. The F15E has in fact been used for CAS in various theaters its been deployed in along with various other A/C including B1 bombers. Hence the prior reasoning of trying to retire the A10 and have other airframes fill in the slack when sequestration was happening.

Im not trying to start a debate on which is better for CAS ( yes ok the A10 CAS Jesus) but i would like to point out to remember that at the end of it all, CAS is a mission not an air-frame, and in todays times of networked battlespace and precision guided munitions, the need for a slow moving treetop level lawnmower aren't as necessary as it once was. In fact ever since the Charlie the A10's have been used more like mid altitude bombers than "down in the weeds" treetop level lawnmowers.

Your right, both aircraft can perform that role but my point is that its kinda dumb to compare the F-15E at all. Because the A-10 was designed as a dedicated CAS platform, and the mudhen was not. Doesn't mean it can't at all, but it's intended for a completely different mission set.

Its like comparing a mini van to a sports car, its apples and oranges. Both can get you from point A to point B but both have very different roles and advantages. It just demonstrates that Sprey doesn't see the distinction and is not making valid arguments. It's his signature move, judging an aircraft against it's ability to perform a mission it was not intended for, along with not doing any homework whatsoever. :)

He outta compare the A-10 to other purpose built aircraft like the KC-130 or A-29. Then we could have a reasonable debate on cost/benefit.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer: