The Virtual Machine Trap: Customer 0 - Eagle Dynamic 1

Tazintosh

Hi folks,

I've recently upgraded my hardware to the next level (meaning, it's a gamer computer available over internet that gives you 60fps of high quality streaming). It's called Shadow (https://shadow.tech). It's a virtual PC, but with a dedicated graphic card. There are many benefits on this (for my work, my games, my wallet, the flexibility, etc.), but debating it is not the point of this topic.

I've installed my games on it, among DCS of course.

Sadly, I discovered when launching DCS that my activation often failed because on a virtual PC the hardware can change.

With such a behaviour, I've wasted 4 activations before understanding the above and I have only have 4 left on my A-10C module :-/

Registry fixes do work well. But it uses another activation out of the 10.

I could also deactivate my module after playing using the DRM section in the Modules Manager but this is also limited to 10 uses.

Then, once my 10 activations will be reached, I'll only be able to run DCS once a month (If I understood it well).

As example, A-10C was out in 2013, I'm pretty sure (even not speaking Virtual PC), that multiple legit owners did changed a piece of their hardware 10x.

Why don't DCS update the license system of StarForce modules? Did really DCS just took the money and let it's customer down?

Why don't DCS update the license system of StarForce modules?

They are in the process of doing it, but its a gradual one ... at this point all the Maps and all the Campaigns have abandoned Starforce. Of the aircrafts, the Mirage 2000, Harrier, F-18 and Spitfire have also abandoned StarForce ... the remaining ones not yet, but I’m confident that the A-10C will be updated soon.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Would be nice Rudel.

But it also would worth Andrey F. from the support team to be aware of it (or share it).

We already discussed back and forth 10 times: Beside being absolutely unpleasant and playing on words to say that us customers are stupid, and them DCS are right, nothing went much out of the discussion.

When I explained the issue on VM, he considered that saying that A-10C works “like it intended initially” was a valid answer.

Well no, specially when no legal term are specifically pointing the fact of not using VM :(

Well no, specially when no legal term are specifically pointing the fact of not using VM :(

Sorry, but I do not agree with you on this one ... the DCS requirements state that you need "OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10", but the actual computer you are using uses in reality a Virtual OS like VMware or Linux variant, on top of which you have Windows.

Even so, it would work if your Service Provider didnt change your VM without warning you first (so you could have time to deactivate the modules).

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB