Mustang missions

killerquagmire

Brand new player here on a somewhat limited budget, looking for some advice on my first buy. First let me say, I absolutely love the TF-51D that comes with the base game. So my initial thought was to go ahead and buy the Mustang. However, I have some immersion concerns given that the free base model map is quite modern. It's my understanding that each plane you purchase comes with it's own set of missions. So my question is, does the mustang come with any missions appropriate for its era in terms of geography and assets? Or do you have to buy the accommodating Normandy and WW2 asset bundle to experience that at all? That's a pretty large investment if so. It would just seem odd to me going up against modern aircraft and maps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Currently, the only WW2 era map is Normandy. The only way to have WW2 units is to buy the pack or possibly use mods.

The exception for using WW2 units, without buying the asset pack, are the other aircraft modules, since they exist externally to the asset pack. In other words, if all you owned was the P51, you could still place AI controlled FW-190's, and/or BF-109's, or any other module aircraft, on the free map, using the mission editor.

The Mustang comes with about 10 training missions, 8 instant action, and maybe 2 or 3 regular missions for the free map.

Edited by Paganus
typo

Currently, the only WW2 era map is Normandy. The only way to have WW2 units is to buy the pack or possibly use mods.

The exception for using WW2 units, without buying the asset pack, are the other aircraft modules, since they exist externally to the asset pack. In other words, if all you owned was the P51, you could still place AI controlled FW-190's, and/or BF-109's, or any other module aircraft, on the free map, using the mission editor.

The Mustang comes with about 10 training missions, 8 instant action, and maybe 2 or 3 regular missions for the free map.

Thanks for the reply. I may go ahead and pick up the F-15C. Really wanted a clickable cockpit with English translation, (I'm using VR) but doesn't seem to be anything modern out there for less than 70 bucks. Is it practical to use the F-15c with VR? I'm ordering a Thrustmaster t.16000 and I'm thinking it may have enough buttons to assign all the necessary keys.

I don't use vr, but the stang is a lovely plane to fly and very stable to taxi, the spit is great to, a few bugs here n there for them all but not ground breaking.

the a10c people say is hard to learn, took me about a day full on, then its a very easy plane to fly.

not a lover of the 15, so wont comment, personal though :)

the Normandy map is sort of......boring but ok for the historical aspect, the free map is in a way the best, as there are so many regions you can be where you want it terms of immersion, although I do like the PG map.

are you a rotor head? if so the mi8 and huey are a blast

I can’t say about VR specifically, but I don’t think the T16000 has enough buttons without a HOTAS throttle for any of the FC3 aircraft. That’s my experience at least. There’s an awful lot that needs to go on buttons or you’ll spend a lot of time on the keyboard. If you can remember all the keyboard commands, it’s doable without VR.

I can’t say about VR specifically, but I don’t think the T16000 has enough buttons without a HOTAS throttle for any of the FC3 aircraft. That’s my experience at least. There’s an awful lot that needs to go on buttons or you’ll spend a lot of time on the keyboard. If you can remember all the keyboard commands, it’s doable without VR.

I’m getting the throttle as well. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I think I might go ahead and grab both the F-15 and the Mustang. I think I can get the mustang on Steam for 40 bucks right now and the F-15 is only 15. A 55.00 investment for two planes isn’t bad and should keep me busy until they have a good sale. Thanks for all the input guys. If you have any more tips for a beginner, please share. Can’t wait to get in the sky!

PM me and I'll send you my button map for the TWCS for the F-15. It will show you how I set up the throttle and stick for that plane.

In general, try to set up the same buttons for as many planes as possible. Things like the airbrake and chaff and flares and gear and flaps, etc, will be useful for all planes, FC3 and full clickable cockpits. It's nice not to have to remember different assignments for those basics.

In general, try to set up the same buttons for as many planes as possible. Things like the airbrake and chaff and flares and gear and flaps, etc, will be useful for all planes, FC3 and full clickable cockpits. It's nice not to have to remember different assignments for those basics.

I do the same and even carry it over to XP as much as possible. I have a couple of Word docs that I put notes on. One sheet for each plane so the stuff that isn't the same for all, is quickly found even if I do need to hit pause sometimes. For me, flying w/ just a stick, setting up the P51D for rockets or bombs was only possible using 'active pause' and the mouse to zoom in and move the switches. Very tedious. Now I have three keyboard buttons to set for bombs and 2 for rockets and I can do them while flying.