Incorrect Naming of Airplane Variants

Owl Dynamic

In the Russian localization of DCS World with Flaming Cliffs 3, open the settings menu and open the control tab for specific air planes. You see a few inaccuracies.

1. MiG-29C to МиГ-29С or MiG-29S, not a mix of both. Better entirely in Russian.

2. МиГ-29 to МиГ-29А. That is how it appears in the mission editor.

3. МиГ-29G to MiG-29G, because it is the export version anyway.

I always heard T in MiG-29SMT was for ‘Toplivo,’ for fuel. Referring to the hunchback

Edit: actually I read it in a book, Encyclopedia for Modern Aircraft by Paul Eden, 2004. AFAIK no operational MiG-29 has had TV, very unfortunate. Unless they are doing so to the MiG-35 and not telling anyone.

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

In the Russian localization of DCS World with Flaming Cliffs 3, open the settings menu and open the control tab for specific air planes. You see a few inaccuracies.

1. MiG-29C to МиГ-29С or MiG-29S, not a mix of both. Better entirely in Russian.

These are valid points, perhaps would be better placed here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=328

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Cyrilic C is English S MIG-29C is as correct as MIG-29S

The Russian named C300 is also called S300 in English. So better to have it consistent. A quick look at Wikipedia says MiG-29S, so I would assume this is the broader consensus. Also googling MiG-29C gives about 300k search answers versus 1,4m for MiG-29S.

perhaps would be better placed here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=328

The russian forum does not have subcategories for bug reports and I thought it would be more finely sorted in here.

Edited by Owl Dynamic

S C variant designation is 'Sovremeignny', which Russian for Modernized. M is for 'moderny' is Russian variation of Mid Life Update. T extension is Thrust Vectoring. Thus MIG-29SMT is MIG-29 modernized and updated equipped with thrust vectoring engines.

Thrust Vectoring? Of course not, that's on the MiG-29OVT which is the converted MiG-29M prototype fitted with thrust vectoring and the only MiG-29 variant to have had those.

T in SMT most probably does stand for extra fuel, e.g. like MiG-21SMT with it's grossly enlarged spine containing extra fuel compared to the originating MiG-21SM variant.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I'm not so sure about your first point.

MiG29S (9.13) is FulcrumC hence MiG29C.

MiG29 (9.12A) is FulcrumA hence MiG29A.

English speaking variants is is either MiG29 + MiG29S (Russian) or MiG29A + MiG29C (NATO).

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

I'm not so sure about your first point.

MiG29S (9.13) is FulcrumC hence MiG29C.

The NATO Codename does not have to correspond to its actual name. Counter-example: MiG-29K (9-31) is Codenamed Fulcrum-D.

Seriously, it is MiG-29S (Latin) unless somebody would kindly post a link to a credible, significant source which says otherwise. MiG-29S (1,4 million google hits) vs MiG-29C (0,4 million google hits) so far and plus German, English and Russian wikpedia articles agree on that and they are not direct translations of each other. And also the russian "C" (Kyrillic) is pronounced like an english "S", so it makes sense.

EDIT: http://migavia.ru/index.php/en/production/the-mig-29-fighters-family Even the official MiG page uses the "S" in the "SM" variants etc.

Edited by Owl Dynamic

The NATO Codename does not have to correspond to its actual name. Counter-example: MiG-29K (9-31) is Codenamed Fulcrum-D.

Seriously, it is MiG-29S (Latin) unless somebody would kindly post a link to a credible, significant source which says otherwise. MiG-29S (1,4 million google hits) vs MiG-29C (0,4 million google hits) so far and plus German, English and Russian wikpedia articles agree on that and they are not direct translations of each other. And also the russian "C" (Kyrillic) is pronounced like an english "S", so it makes sense.

I don't think you're understanding.

The K in MiG29K (K = Korabelny, Ship-Borne) is Russian origin the same as the S in 29S.

The C in MiG29C and A in MiG29A are of NATO origin, for example I doubt you'll find the MiG29 marked up as MiG29A in Russian documents.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

The C in MiG29C and A in MiG29A are of NATO origin, for example I doubt you'll find the MiG29 marked up as MiG29A in Russian documents.

Here http://www.bredow-web.de/Berlin_Schoenefeld/MiG-29/mig-29.html it lists both MiG-29C (9.13, NATO) which has a more sturdy fuselage and additional fuel tanks and the MiG-29S (9.13S) which as an improved radar. And we have this latter variant as it says in the manual of the MiG-29 module. On p.49 it speaks about the new modern TWS2 radar mode for R-77 rockets and uses MiG-29S as a designation. So this functionality confirms what the website says.

http://toad-design.com/migalley/index.php/jet-aircraft/mig29/mig29-variants/

Here it speaks of the MiG-29S variant as well. Both actually run under the Fulcrum C codename. Definitely a confusing scheme.

EDIT: Check the game's internal reference book about the MiG-29S. At least in the russian version it says 9.13S variant. So I hope this finally puts a nail in the coffin for this debate that it should indeed be MiG-29S in the control tab of the settings.

Edited by Owl Dynamic

МиГ-29 (9.12) = MiG-29 = "FULCRUM A"

МиГ-29УБ (9.51) = MiG-29UB = "FULCRUM B"

МиГ-29 (9.13) = MiG-29 = "FULCRUM C"

МиГ-29С (9.13С) = MiG-29S = "FULCRUM C"

There is no such thing as a "MiG-29C" or "MiG-29A" - these are erroneous designations....either simply a case of applying "Western" designation system(like F-16A and F-16C) to Russian aircraft, or mixing NATO reporting names with the original designation - i.e. MiG-29 + FUlCRUM A = MiG-29A.

Note that:

a) NATO makes no distinction between the MiG-29(9.13) and the MiG-29S(9.13S), but calls both "FULCRUM C".

b) Russian/Soviet designation makes no distinction between different versions of the "baseline" MiG-29 - i.e. domestic 9.12, warsaw pact 9.12A, commercial 9.12B and even the 9.13 is still just called "MiG-29".

JJ