TPOD on center pylons

Falken06

Hi folk's,

Why we can't put the TPOD on sixth and second pylon on the AV-8B. I saw many video and pic of the Harrier with the TPOD on this location with the fuel tank. This location decrease the blind spot due to the Tanks. Will be very cool if we can put the TPOD on those pylons.

attachment.php?attachmentid=203347&stc=1&d=1548767543

Thanks you in advance for your anwsers

2019-01-29_13h54_21.thumb.png.e1f84fb097ff25caed287315b9bf3d22.png

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s to ensure balance/trim of the aircraft. The harrier seems to be very susceptible to roll due to poor trim. Bearing in mind it’s load weight from a carrier, mounting it in the centre seems like a good solution, especially when you’re trying to land back on a carrier after dropping all munitions.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s to ensure balance/trim of the aircraft. The harrier seems to be very susceptible to roll due to poor trim. Bearing in mind it’s load weight from a carrier, mounting it in the centre seems like a good solution, especially when you’re trying to land back on a carrier after dropping all munitions.

I totally understand that, but if they put the TPOD on those pylon IRL is that it can. So why we can't do the same things. With good trim apply I think we can land easily (Short landing, conventionnal...) maybe not in VL but all missions not finish on carrier manoeuvers.

well while i don't have any answers or real knowledge of the av8 variants. i can tell you however that the harrier in the image you showed is not the same model version we have in the game. im pretty confident if the real one has that ability then we would also have it in the game. so my initial assumption is that the av8b n/a we have represented does not have the wing tpod ability.

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E MB | Ryzen 9 5950x | ASUS Tuf RTX 4080 | 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 MHz DDR4 | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Track IR 5 | Gigabyte M27Q-P 1440p 165hz |

Are the Pylons are wired for the TPOD..

No, but they're wired for mavericks.

If I remember correctly, the original implementation of the pod was in a kind of 'maverick emulation mode', so it had to go on the wings at first. It was only after the aircraft was wired to semi-natively accept the pod on the center station that they changed where it was hung.

AFAIK, it was originally only able to operate from station 5. The manual around the net (A1-AV8BB-TAC-000 (or NWP 3-22.5-AV8B, Vol. I) circa 2002. About the same year in reference to the book A Nightmare's Prayer

The TPOD mounts on,

and interfaces with, AV−8B night attack, radar

and remanufactured aircraft on station 5 using

standard 14−inch bomb lugs. The pod is

approximately 87 inches long and 16 inches in

diameter, and weighs approximately 445 pounds.

Mechanical boresight of the TPOD to the aircraft is

not required as the TPOD sensor head is

boresighted by the pod’s internal IMU that

aligns to the output from the aircraft INS.

Later modification change that and more stations where added. I am not sure what year those modification came on and I am not sure the year of our version in DCS.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

AFAIK, it was originally only able to operate from station 5. The manual around the net (A1-AV8BB-TAC-000 (or NWP 3-22.5-AV8B, Vol. I) circa 2002. About the same year in reference to the book A Nightmare's Prayer

Later modification change that and more stations where added. I am not sure what year those modification came on and I am not sure the year of our version in DCS.

Ok, I did not think about that. Thanks a lot for your informations.