In the market for a Top end Hotas.

Hi,

As per the title. I'm looking for a/the top end Hotas.

I'd like to hear from people that have owned the warthog stick and have swapped to the following!

Ive owned the Thrustmaster Cougar (I miss my Cougar) and I'm currently using the Saitech X65F the all metal force sensing stick. I used to fly Falcon BMS and wanted to experience force sensing. It's a great stick. All metal HAL sensors. Top End but now discontinued. Brilliant for jets of all types. Put a bit pressure on the stick and she turns. Increase the pressure and she turns faster, pull back hard and you are into the G's.(The amount of pressure is configurable) And it's all intuitive. But its a bit odd flying WWII aircraft and totally useless for Helicopters.

But my Main module is Jets. Currently F/A-18 soon F-14. But I'm into modern Jets.

So lets say Ive got a budget of $1,000.

My first go to is the Thrustmaster Warthog. All metal = nice feel and important, A replica!... The stick is A10/F16. I know what I'm buying with the warthog! I'd be happy.

Virpil.... Reviews on the hole HOTAS system please... If you were a previous warthog owner preferably. Warts and all. Pro's & cons compared to the WH.

VKB As I understand it VKB only offer a stick at the moment.... So they are the underdog. Convince otherwise.

Also if I want to add an extension to the stick which allow that?

I'm going to post this on the Virpil & VKB pages to catch as many users as I can if thats OK?

Thanks in advance for all "constructive" posts

Alligin

Hi,

I'd like to hear from people that have owned the warthog stick and have swapped to the following!

Ive owned the Thrustmaster Cougar (I miss my Cougar) and I'm currently using the Saitech X65F the all metal force sensing stick. I used to fly Falcon BMS and wanted to experience force sensing. It's a great stick. All metal HAL sensors. Top End but now discontinued. Brilliant for jets of all types. Put a bit pressure on the stick and she turns. Increase the pressure and she turns faster, pull back hard and you are into the G's.(The amount of pressure is configurable) And it's all intuitive. But its a bit odd flying WWII aircraft and totally useless for Helicopters.

But my Main module is Jets. Currently F/A-18 soon F-14. But I'm into modern Jets.

My first go to is the Thrustmaster Warthog. All metal = nice feel and important, A replica!... The stick is A10/F16. I know what I'm buying with the warthog! I'd be happy.

Virpil.... Reviews on the hole HOTAS system please... If you were a previous warthog owner preferably. Warts and all. Pro's & cons compared to the WH.

VKB As I understand it VKB only offer a stick at the moment.... So they are the underdog. Convince otherwise.

I'm going to post this on the Virpil & VKB pages to catch as many users as I can if thats OK?

Alligin

Hi,

Alligin

I combined a Virpil T-50 base with a 10cm extension and a TM Warthog grip - It's a really nice combo. You can buy the grip for 96€ from Thrustmaster :-)

The Virpil base is much better than the original warthog. Highly customizible and the thing I really like - No center resistance, which translates to extremly accurate movements around the center. The build quality is several leagues higher than TM's...

bdcee95d5bf2aa916d528687dec08da7.jpg

Edited by oskich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fwiw if you search you will find my YouTube reviews. I have all 3 still stand by what I said in the video. I ended using the VKB more because I have to carry one around with me on the road but both are a significant step up from the Warthog especially if yours is getting on and you use an extension.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Don't think T-50 is still available....

Next restock 10 feb 0600 gmt

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Loving my VKG Gunfighter Pro (extension) with MCG Pro grip, lots of programmable buttons on that grip and the metal paddle axis lever and metal flip down trigger are a nice touch. I have mine mounted to an extended Monster Tech Center Mount and really like the setup.

Use it with the Warthog Throttle, which I also have mounted to a standard Monster Tech table mount.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have a VKB Gunfighter Pro (the one with the extension) with the TMWH grip mounted on it. I use the TMWH throttle and have no reason to switch. It's a nice setup, I like it.

I like the Virpil offerings because they support the TMWH grip natively, if they were available when I bought my stick I probably would have gone that way.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

If you like to fly modern jets, you may consider having a look at this: http://realsimulator.com/html/fssb_r3_lighting.html :), It's a force sensing stick, like the one in the F-16.

Edited by norbot

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Ive owned 3 sets of X65F and I was convinced they were top notch. In reality my flying suffered greatly because of the sensor type it uses. It was nifty all right and I have flown falcon from the day it released until 5 years ago. The sticks I wore out and a throttle as well.

I bought the Virpil stick and throttle. The t50 stick is great for me. The important things are that it centres everytime. Ill bet my life that before you fly on the 65F you need to calibrate it a few times and after an hour as well. Not once in 300 hours has it been off in calibration. I run no dead zone. You can control the tension so when I fly the Huey there is just enough tension to centre the stick when I let it go. Its silky smooth fingertip flying for helicopter. The stick is missing a 4th 4 way and this is a downer. They should have known better. At extreme deflections you can hear and feel the springs as they strain. Just annoying but doesn't affect control

The Virpil throttle is ok. I like that, with modifiers, I have so many buttons and dials that I can do most things without a keyboard I can start a hornet with no keyboard. I had an issue with parts wearing quickly on the throttle stroke so it was really scratchy. I solved my problem and they basically left it at that. I'm not impressed with their response. If you are a VR person then this is important. Nosehole be damned.

I give the stick 8 and the throttle 7

Edited by backstab

I've got both the T-50 and the WarBRD. Both are a step above the Warthog - the Warthog is NOT all metal, only the grip is made of a (fairly low grade) metal. It still feels great, though, and I do think the Warthog grip has a better layout than the Virpil grip - primarily due to the 4 way + push hat switch at the thumb - it Virpil would only update the T50 grip with a 4way+press hat at the thumb, it would pretty easily beat out the Warthog, IMHO.

The Warthog has a very old style gimbal, and it is plastic. The VPC bases are all metal, are adjustable with spring and cam changes, and general just feel so much nicer to use, with no "stiction".

If you really like the Warthog Grip (and I do), I'd consider buying the WarBRD base, and buy a Warthog grip as a spare part from Thrustmaster.

As a bonus, the VPC bases use the same connector as the Warthog (for better or worse), which means the Warthog grip just slots right on with no issue - no mods, just plug it in, tighten up the collar, and you're good to go.

I still have Warthog HOTAS, but the Warthog base sits in a cupboard. I still use the Throttle, as I am waiting for VPC to release a throttle with an analog thumbstick - only because I also play space sims.

I can't comment from experience, but based on use of the Warthog throttle, the VPC will be better in that there are more buttons available on the throttle grip, along with just as many (if not more) on the base.

Z...

Edited by Barefoot Bandit

Warthog user here, just switched to a Virpil base last November and Im loving it. Sadly, the T-50 is discontinued. I have no plans to change the warthog throttle.

For 2019 I had in mind buying a Virpil grip, but it´s not that the warthog joy works bad. Quite the opposite.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I've got both the T-50 and the WarBRD. Both are a step above the Warthog - the Warthog is NOT all metal, only the grip is made of a (fairly low grade) metal. It still feels great, though, and I do think the Warthog grip has a better layout than the Virpil grip - primarily due to the 4 way + push hat switch at the thumb - it Virpil would only update the T50 grip with a 4way+press hat at the thumb, it would pretty easily beat out the Warthog, IMHO.

If you really like the Warthog Grip (and I do), I'd consider buying the WarBRD base, and buy a Warthog grip as a spare part from Thrustmaster.

Z...

As you own the T-50 and the WarBRD what is the difference between the 2?

I believe the T-50 is unavailable at the moment but it sounds like it will be available within a few days.

I do like the idea of a Virpil base with the thrustmaster stick.

Still undecided on a throttle

Thanks for all the info guys.

Ive owned 3 sets of X65F and I was convinced they were top notch. In reality my flying suffered greatly because of the sensor type it uses. It was nifty all right and I have flown falcon from the day it released until 5 years ago. The sticks I wore out and a throttle as well.

I bought the Virpil stick and throttle. The t50 stick is great for me. The important things are that it centres everytime. Ill bet my life that before you fly on the 65F you need to calibrate it a few times and after an hour as well. Not once in 300 hours has it been off in calibration.

The Virpil throttle is ok. I like that, with modifiers, I have so many buttons and dials that I can do most things without a keyboard I can start a hornet with no keyboard. I had an issue with parts wearing quickly on the throttle stroke so it was really scratchy. I solved my problem and they basically left it at that. I'm not impressed with their response.

I must have bought a good X-65f as I’ve only calibrated once and have never had a single problem. I just want to move away from force sensing as it’s impossible to fly a helicopter and keep a steady force on the stick.

You mentioned you have had problems with the Virpil throttle and that you solved the problem...... Any extra info?

I’m thinking on the lines of a T-50 or WarBRD base with the thrustmaster grip.

Still undecided on a throttle

Virpil T-50 base is no more. If you want one only hope is finding someone selling theirs.

Main reason I have kind of gotten away from them... Virpil took a different direction than what appeals to me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Fwiw if you search you will find my YouTube reviews. I have all 3 still stand by what I said in the video. I ended using the VKB more because I have to carry one around with me on the road but both are a significant step up from the Warthog especially if yours is getting on and you use an extension.

What name do you go by on YouTube. I tried WindyTX and VKB nothing showed.

At the moment I’m erring on the side of a Virpil base with warthog grip

Virpil T-50 base is no more. If you want one only hope is finding someone selling theirs.

Main reason I have kind of gotten away from them... Virpil took a different direction than what appeals to me.

Oh right so no T-50 then :-(

May have to go for the warBRD if someone can explain the difference between the two.

What base or system did you settle for? Why didn’t Virpil appeal to you?

Edited by Alligin

What name do you go by on YouTube. I tried WindyTX and VKB nothing showed.

At the moment I’m erring on the side of a Virpil base with warthog grip

Sorry here.

Vkb and Virpil search brings it up.

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

The difference is the new warbrd uses a nice dual cam system, but does not support any but the smallest extensions. 50mm!

This is a bad situation, as due to the lack of VKB stock, and the ext. limitation of the Warbrd. It is not currently possible to purchase a cam gimbled stick that allows full extensions.

A Virpil replacement is being "talked about", but I just can't imagine why the T-50 was discontinued so prematurely with no "equivalent" replacement? AS for VKB, I got into this 6 months ago, and in that time the VKB sticks became available just one time for a few hours. They are dead to me.

Edited by Wmacky

While maybe not oficially supported I'm using the WarBRD with a 10cm extension + TM grip and it works flawlessly. In fact with the stiffer springs it centers way better than the WH base did.

I had a 12cm extension on it initially which was just fine as well as far as the base is concerned. Only problem was that with it I hit the edge of my Monstertech mounts with my hand at full deflecton forward. So I switched to the 10.

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Oh right so no T-50 then :-(

May have to go for the warBRD if someone can explain the difference between the two.

What base or system did you settle for? Why didn’t Virpil appeal to you?

I liked the T-50 for the most part, center mount with long extension is my preference. That is what they have gotten away from by discontinuing the T-50. Have no interest in the WarBRD. Yeah you can use a 50mm extension with it, but I use longer.

Me personally I would have much rather seen them invest in a version 2 per se of the T-50 with better cams/easier to change out and a grip with few more buttons. But certainly can not expect them to try to appeal to me with their decisions and that is fine.

But there are I am sure a larger user base that is just fine with the WarBD and maybe they prefer that over a longer extended mount. Gotta go with what the bulk of the customers want.

I still have my Virpil setup though and no intention of getting rid of it, and am currently using VKB Gunfighter Pro with MCG Pro grip and Warthog Throttle.

Don B

Thanks

Nice review. I see you are using the warthog throttle and I also watched a previous video of you comparing vkb with Virpil bases.

Have you tried the Virpil throttle? Just wondering why you stuck with thrustmaster?

On your previous vid when you compared Virpil and VKB bases you used the warthog stick. I kind of like that option as it’s a replica. I used to use the old Cougar and it feels right in the hand, very ergonomic.

But you reviewed the T-50 base that you could adjust the tension via 2 screws. The T-50 is discontinued. The WarBRD takes its place and I believe it doesn’t have the adjuster screws? That’s a pity as it would have meant easy conversion from jets to helicopters.

It seems they are all out of stock anyway. So time to research.

I see you are an ex Tonka pilot so your views hold weight.

The more I look into the choice of high end gear the more difficult it is to make the right choice.

Edited by Alligin

I combined a Virpil T-50 base with a 10cm extension and a TM Warthog grip - It's a really nice combo. You can buy the grip for 96€ from Thrustmaster :-)

The Virpil base is much better than the original warthog. Highly customizible and the thing I really like - No center resistance, which translates to extremly accurate movements around the center. The build quality is several leagues higher than TM's...

bdcee95d5bf2aa916d528687dec08da7.jpg

Have you got a link where I can buy the thrustmaster grip separately? On the TM site they only show grip/stick and base. I don't want the base.

Unfortunately they dont do the T-50 base anymore. If I go with Virpil I'll have to go with WarBRD base. And I believe the WarBRD base doesn't have the adjustable screws for sensitivity. Why did they discontinue the T-50? :-(

Edited by Alligin