MiG-29 Radar picture on MFD

BlackPixxel

I seriously doubt this system was ever very useful. certainly limited in range between A/C and GCI and information updates for anything at low alt.

Well, keep in mind that Soviet AD was very highly integrated and had good coverage of potential hotspots, but again we can discuss the performance till the end of time but wouldn't resolve anything.

The point is that even periodic updates of the target, bearing (steering cue), alt and range on the HUD would give the pilot more information that he has now. Also if someone can clarify how does the ID mark work it would be much appreciated.

Getting per example DL info on HUD of the closest enemy if the enemy is spotted by the EWR or AWACS would be very beneficial and get us closer to the 'designed' actual use of MiG-29. Voice can only get you so far.

Edited by FoxAlfa

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

I guess he is referring the NPO Energomash RD-180 used in Atlas Rockets, but its getting a bit off-topic.

Yeah, I know Atlas 3 and 5 rockets are using Russian engines, but he implied that the US were never able to develop their own in the similar thrust category which is technically a fabrication since they didn't even bother trying :) (since they burned the money on the doomed Space Shuttle concept instead after which the Russian engine was already available and much cheaper then developing something similar from scratch, plus politically it was acceptable to buy them back then).

Though I fail to see how this Russian rocket engine is connected with the state of Soviet tech put in their fighters in the early 80s which was discussed. The mentioned MiG-31 radar mentioned was a success, but the similar Soyuz program inspired radars for Su-27 and MiG-29 failed as presumably because they had much less available space for the radar and its electronics which took a lot of space and weight due to the state of the Soviet technology back then.

But, to make the Mig-31 project work, the Soviets had to resort to using a phased array antenna to accomplish what a decade older AWG-9 was capable of with a mechanically scanned antenna and even then, the Zaslon was still inferior in range (though it had some advantages where phased array excels, naturally, like the faster scan rate which also allows for a larger TWS field of view).

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I don't know where the electronic steering comes from - the initial design specs called for a flat plate slotted array MSA. So let's start with failing to get to that level when 'everyone else' was there already.

The N010(and I guess N011 as well) combined hydro-mechanical steering in azimuth with electronic scanning in elevation, so Dudikoff is right :) .

I am not sure what the initial design specs called for - whether it was for this or an actual PESA like on the MiG-31, but if you consider the volume and weight of the latter, its easy to see why that design wasn't achievable at the time for the Su-27....not to mention the MiG-29.

JJ

But is there any evidence that such a top down view is really missing? Or was the decision in DCS more like "It does not have datalink so we remove the whole radar picture on MFD"?

According to the russian manual avialable on avsim.su the mig-29 did not have a top-down view on the MFD. However, the MFD was not a simple 1:1 repeater of the HUD but had some additional data. For example, the right vertical bar and radar elevation should only be displayed on the MFD, as well as the current scan bar which is completely absent in DCS.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

Well with the D/L improvements done for the Hornet, I hope we will finally get buddy D/L for the Flanker in MP.

Also and getting the D/L info on the HUD Fulcrum would be also great especially since it was a core part of how the plane was intended to be used.

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

Well with the D/L improvements done for the Hornet, I hope we will finally get buddy D/L for the Flanker in MP.

Also and getting the D/L info on the HUD Fulcrum would be also great especially since it was a core part of how the plane was intended to be used.

Do not dream of that, nothing of FC avionics will be improved. Any improvement will be for independent modules, if someday they release one.

• 1 year later...

Yeah I think its safe to say goodbye to all FC3 aircrafts. I dont see ED going to add new feature only support for bug fixes or similar. Look what happened to Su-27 DL between wingman (flight members) in MP it has been asked for years and they didnt bother at all.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

9.12 radar had a better detection range than F-16s one. What's more, mig carried better weapons.

Did you even read the quoted post?

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!