Setting TACAN and Course?

tyleru7d894

How come sometimes my TACAN will show up on HSI and sometimes it doesn't (even though it will give me heading information)

In addition , when pressing and holding the course setting switch (in either direction) the same thing happens. Sometimes it will provide a course heading line across my HSI and sometimes it won't.

I've tried reloading a mission mid-air with no changes at all to the map and it will work at times and other times both fail. What's going on?

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

How come sometimes my TACAN will show up on HSI and sometimes it doesn't (even though it will give me heading information)

If you don't have X or Y channel properly selected sometimes it will only give bearing info but no distance. Otherwise if it disappears than something is blocking the signal e.g. a mountain.

In addition , when pressing and holding the course setting switch (in either direction) the same thing happens. Sometimes it will provide a course heading line across my HSI and sometimes it won't.

The TACAN or waypoint could be too far off the screen of your HSI. You could have forgotten to box TACAN (or waypoint). CRS only works if one of those is selected.

If you don't have X or Y channel properly selected sometimes it will only give bearing info but no distance. Otherwise if it disappears than something is blocking the signal e.g. a mountain.

The TACAN or waypoint could be too far off the screen of your HSI. You could have forgotten to box TACAN (or waypoint). CRS only works if one of those is selected.

I'm on "X" which is what the carrier is on. I'm flying over the ocean to ensure there's no issue with signal. I'm 40 miles from TACAN and I've ensured that my HSI is zoomed to the proper level (80+ miles)

Edited by tyleru7d894
clarity

You may be out of range. When it starts spinning circles and I know I have the proper TACAN selected, I'll turn it off and wait for several minutes then turn it back on.

Likewise, if you know the TACAN is selected and correct and it doesn't start counting down, reset it

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

https://www.cag-51.org/contact

You may be out of range. When it starts spinning circles and I know I have the proper TACAN selected, I'll turn it off and wait for several minutes then turn it back on.

Likewise, if you know the TACAN is selected and correct and it doesn't start counting down, reset it

OP said he was flying over the ocan, no terrain masking and still no Tacan at 40 nm which is odd, i never had any issues getting a Tacan signal around that range on flat terrain, i do have issues when i get on Aerobatic Online server, taking from the base which has Hornets, hiden below some mountains and the Carrier is about 85 nm away, i then get the spinning Tacan, but once i get at 40 nm i do not have a single issue.

Wanted to see his mission cuz lots of time, people forget to specify the Unit in the Tacan Advanced Waypoint options in the ME and sometimes gives an issue to find the Tacan signal and sometimes it works. But agian, OP is not clear as to, does it happens to a carrier, or any default airbase Tacan, so wanted to see the mission to take a lot a bit more precise.

OP said he was flying over the ocan, no terrain masking and still no Tacan at 40 nm which is odd, i never had any issues getting a Tacan signal around that range on flat terrain, i do have issues when i get on Aerobatic Online server, taking from the base which has Hornets, hiden below some mountains and the Carrier is about 85 nm away, i then get the spinning Tacan, but once i get at 40 nm i do not have a single issue.

I fly on that server too, and sometimes the TACAN signal from CVN74 simply vanishes, even within a few miles from the ship. Not sure what the deal is, but sometimes it just stops or doesn't work.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

I fly on that server too, and sometimes the TACAN signal from CVN74 simply vanishes, even within a few miles from the ship. Not sure what the deal is, but sometimes it just stops or doesn't work.

Too many people crazy on there, i blame someone damaging the system on the Carrier that emits the Tacan :)

I've has some problems with the TACAN as well as issues with the ICLS in SP ME. For example, in one scenario I set the carrier to 74X, ICLS to CH11 and I had a tanker on Tacan 1X. When I selected 74X T/R for return to the boat I just got the spinning marker and no bearing or distance even at 20 miles out at sea. Set TACAN to 1X A/A for the tanker but now 1X was designating the boat.:huh:Need to do more testing though and try to reproduce.

System Specs: Virpil WarBRD Base, Virpil Mongoose T-50CM stick w/Virpil desk mount, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w/Virpil desk mount, MFG Crosswind RP, TrackIR 5, Stream Deck 32, Windows 11 Home 64-bit, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB DDR4 3600, Asus X570 TUF Gaming Pro WiFi MoBo, XFX RX 6800 XT Merc 319, 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, 1TB Toshiba HDD 7200rpm, 2TB WD Blue HDD 5400rpm, 1TB WD Black 750 NVMe M.2 SSD, No Optical drive, Onboard Audio + Avid Eleven Rack Audio Interface.

There's a video on YT somewhere demonstrating the issues with Tacan but it's probably over a year old so it might not be accurate anymore.

Anyway, in the video it shows how you need to assign triggers to the carrier so it will keep Tacan active from one waypoint to another throughout it's entire mission. I'm just getting this off the top of my head so you'll have to watch the vid to see if this may be why you're all having issues. For the record, I'm getting the same issues.

• MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

Carrier Tacan not transmitting

I watched the video you are talking about and it teaches you how to set up carrier Tacan for continuous broadcasting it was made by the 104th Sqn. by Maverick good video, easy to follow and works for me. Take a look and take a few notes as you go and DONE!

DCS Mission Editor/How to setup carriers and Tacan and ICLS//// go to You Tube and search for DCS F 18 carrier tacan again good video.

WeakLink