Cockpit textures disappointing

nrosko

Just purchased this module.

I was under the impression that this was a newer module but the internal textures in this plane are really quite poor & not to the usual DCS standard. Also the pilot model is laughably bad.

I know its not as expensive but there should be some uniformity in the quality of textures in these planes IMO.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

I actually think the textures are one of the better ones in DCS, and certainly on par with anything ED/Belsimtek have produced.

Could you perhaps take a screenshot to show what part of the textures you feel are subpar?

+1. The cockpit textures of the C-101 are IMHO pretty good. Please show us a screenshot.

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

You're totally free to dislike the textures of course. But did you watch any videos before purchase? There aren't a ton on the C-101 but there were some. And of course there are screenshots. That should have given you an idea of what the textures were like.

For the record, I really like the cockpit. Just a couple of small things I would fix.

Well interesting that opinions are polarized. I actually thought that maybe i had it wrong & it wasn't an updated cockpit but it seems it is. I have cockpit & texture details on max & playing in vr.

sW3O6zN.jpg

For reference

MI8g7Hh.jpg

low resolution textures, not very convincing weathering

NiFkMVn.jpg

Alien hand.

6j3is4Z.jpg

low res textures

HX6dh6a.jpg

g8wz4zs.jpg

Again i think the weathering & materials don't look realistic to my eyes.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

...For reference ..

OK, so your "usual DCS standard" is the Hornet .. why not compare it with the A-10C or Blackshark?

DCS is a product that has evolved along several years, of course a Module developed 4 years ago wont have the same standard. It isnt realistic to expect that every couple of years each aircraft textures should be redone.

On my particular case, I'm not really bothered by differences in textures, as I give more relevance to the flight aspects of a DCS Module rather than its prettyness :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

OK, so your "usual DCS standard" is the Hornet .. why not compare it with the A-10C or Blackshark?

DCS is a product that has evolved along several years, of course a Module developed 4 years ago wont have the same standard. It isnt realistic to expect that every couple of years each aircraft textures should be redone.

On my particular case, I'm not really bothered by differences in textures, as I give more relevance to the flight aspects of a DCS Module rather than its prettyness :)

a.Both of those aircraft are due for an overhaul for the cockpit & they are substantially older as far as i'm aware. Many itt stated the c-101 was one of the better cockpits so i chose what i thought was one of the better ones for comparison, tbh i could choose any of them apart from the A-10 or BS. You can also do a quick google search for real pictures of the cockpit to see how poor it looks in the game.

b.This module was promoted as having an overhaul with the addition of a new aircraft.

c.The last point is a bit of a straw man as i never said it was the most important thing, it's about paying for something & expecting everything to be of similar professional standards to the other modules.

I know it's not a very nice thing to say about some bodies work & i will say no more abou it, but i'll now have to spend my time in Photoshop (trying to)make it look pretty.

The C-101 cockpit textures have never been the best. But in its present form, it isn't the worst either. I can clearly see the problems the original post is complaining about. At the same time, being an owner of the Hawk and P-40F, I am currently overjoyed that the C-101 has progressed this far. I would be very happy if AvioJet continues to improve the C-101 to bring it up with the latest DCS standards, but I can live with it in its present form as long as they keep ironing out the reported bugs.

I hope AvioJet can deliver a Mirage F-1 and do so in a way that the initial release has a proper EFM from the start rather than starting with an SFM like the C-101. If they can, it will be a sure-fire purchase for me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The cockpit textures look decent to me. To me, it's the external liveries that don't look as detailed as other modules. The overall "finish" of the C-101 external textures in game also makes it look like the aircraft is painted with matte paint as well, especially when sunlight hits it. There is no glossiness to it, unlike other modules or even pictures of the real aircraft.

This isn't meant to be a negative post, just some constructive criticism for the developer to take under consideration if they choose to do so.

i agree with this as well. especially when compared to its counterpart, the L-39, which has a beautifully done exterior with all the bells and whistles. i've been assuming that the current external textures were just placeholders until the final ones could be completed... does anyone know if this is the case?

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

Let me clarify my earlier statement.

First off the texture artist clearly put in a massive amount of work and time.Absolutely no issues there and Kudos to him/her.

But imho they are at 300%

At normal gamma of 2.1 the weathering/multitexturing of every surface is way overdone and a bit distracting when in the cockpit.Some of the paint chipping and wear marks are a bit too large and crude.Less wear and weathering would be preferable.

The artist did their job too well:smilewink:

my 2 cents

The cockpit textures look decent to me. To me, it's the external liveries that don't look as detailed as other modules. The overall "finish" of the C-101 external textures in game also makes it look like the aircraft is painted with matte paint as well, especially when sunlight hits it. There is no glossiness to it, unlike other modules or even pictures of the real aircraft.
I could be wrong but I think most aircraft in DCS without a bare metal finish look somewhat matte.

i agree with this as well. especially when compared to its counterpart, the L-39, which has a beautifully done exterior with all the bells and whistles. i've been assuming that the current external textures were just placeholders until the final ones could be completed... does anyone know if this is the case?
I just did a visual compare of the L-39 with one of the Czech camo skins with the C-101 with a Spanish camo skin. I think they're pretty comparable. The only thing I would say is that the L-39 has some nice bump mapping that I don't see in the C-101. So that would be a nice effect to add. :)
Edited by kontiuka