** DCS: F-14 Manual Early Access Release!! **

Cobra847

The table of the VDI warning and caution lights is missing the AUTO THRO warning/caution and its explanation.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

General Design and Systems Overview headline typos:

Fire Detection and Surpression System

Fire Surpression System (also, same typo in the related text)

Fire Detection and Surpression System Test (also, same typo in the related text)

Should be Suppression, naturally.

Electrical Power System chapter should use AC and DC acronyms in capital letters.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Little error under Navigation System, 5th paragraph.

"Although from the crew member’s point of view, the INS is used mostly for navigation, it is also essential for proper operations of other aircraft equipment. For example, the attitude is necessary for the radar. The attitude and the own position are required for some weapon delivery modes, particularly for long shots. Even more distressing to the crew, a complete failure of the INS renders weapons such as the AIM-7 inoperable.

Think you mean "altitude".

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#navigation

No, it means attitude information for stable reference.

Viewpoints are my own.

I'll second the could we please have a pdf version as well.. Like Alicatt some times don't have internet access but do have tablet access (like oh during long car trips, certain part of hospital stays when they won't let you have your net turned on because of 'interference' etc). Living doc's are great but pdf's are awesome too ;).

Otherwise the lay out and everything looks great.

It’s pretty easy to print to pdf if you want to grab a section or two to take with you in those instances. Even iOS devices make that a snap.

So heartwarming to see so many excited about reading their manuals...

Viewpoints are my own.

Errata:

In the engine start procedure after you have started #2 item 12 specifies to disconnect external power. On line 16 it tells you to repeat steps 7-12 for #1 engine. item 12 is superfluous as you have already disconnected external power.

For both Pilot and RIO. item 1 Oxygen test: According to the checklist it's left OFF. I would assume that after the test it should be turned on again.

Edited by Koriel

Missing reference link in the "Air Source and Cockpit Air Controls" section http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#air-source-and-cockpit-air-controls

ref:gvalve for the pilot and ref:rgvalve for the

Missing s in the word Display in this section http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#tactical-information-display-tid-and-associated-controls

TID Control Panel subsection 2nd paragraph

as well as in AN/ALR-67 RWR Section

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#an-alr-67-rwr

Edited by Essah

Thanks for all the help in spotting errors and typos guys!

I'll be updating the manual with those found next time I upload.

Feel free to keep posting any errors found here or by DM to me.

Confusing sentence / repeated words at: " Television Camera Set (TCS) " - 3rd. paragraph :

" The TCS is controlled by the RIO using the sensor control panel, DDD, TID and the HCU and video from the sensor can be displayed on the TID and the VDI in the front seat.

The video can be recorded using the airborne video tape recorder for later review. (Not currently implemented in DCS.) "

I believe it would be easier to understand this way :

" The TCS is controlled by the RIO using the sensor control panel, DDD, TID and the HCU. The video from the sensor can be displayed on the TID and the VDI in the front seat.

It can also be recorded, using the airborne video tape recorder for later review. (Not currently implemented in DCS.) "

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

It’s pretty easy to print to pdf if you want to grab a section or two to take with you in those instances. Even iOS devices make that a snap.

So heartwarming to see so many excited about reading their manuals...

It's all most of us have. Besides, the format is much, much better than reading the NATOPS manuals (and this is distilled down to what we need to know for DCS).

I can't get over how complex the back seat is. Could be that I've seen the majority of the front seat done up (with the exception of weapons, mainly). I'm going to have to ease into the back with a full tank of gas, the AI AP flying straight and level, and a lot of free time.

Confusing sentence / repeated words at: " Television Camera Set (TCS) " - 3rd. paragraph :

" The TCS is controlled by the RIO using the sensor control panel, DDD, TID and the HCU and video from the sensor can be displayed on the TID and the VDI in the front seat.

The video can be recorded using the airborne video tape recorder for later review. (Not currently implemented in DCS.) "

I believe it would be easier to understand this way :

" The TCS is controlled by the RIO using the sensor control panel, DDD, TID and the HCU. The video from the sensor can be displayed on the TID and the VDI in the front seat.

It can also be recorded, using the airborne video tape recorder for later review. (Not currently implemented in DCS.) "

Thx!

the Threat symbology section of the RWR chapter http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#threat-symbology lists R-27 as creating an "M" symbol. I believe this is an error as the M symbol should be generated by radars mounted on Active Radar Guided missiles. the R-27 is Semi-active unlike the other missiles listed.

the first listed missile, the MICA should perhaps be edited to show MICA EM, as there is also an IR guided variant, the MICA IR

Navigation System http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#navigation-system sections reads

a complete failure of the INS renders weapons such as the AIM-7 inoperable.

should this not read Aim-54 instead of Aim-7?

Edited by Essah

the Threat symbology section of the RWR chapter http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#threat-symbology lists R-27 as creating an "M" symbol. I believe this is an error as the M symbol should be generated by radars mounted on Active Radar Guided missiles. the R-27 is Semi-active unlike the other missiles listed.

the first listed missile, the MICA should perhaps be edited to show MICA EM, as there is also an IR guided variant, the MICA IR

Navigation System http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#navigation-system sections reads

Thx, fixed!

I am sure the answer is an obvious yes but I will ask just to make sure...

I know this is an Early Access and "living" manual but I imagine you guys will be adding takeoff, landing, etc.. procedures to the manual prior to release, correct?

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I am sure the answer is an obvious yes but I will ask just to make sure...

I know this is an Early Access and "living" manual but I imagine you guys will be adding takeoff, landing, etc.. procedures to the manual prior to release, correct?

The procedures section is the one most in need of additions atm, I'm not going to be able to give you a date on when that'll be added but we'll have tutorials for some of the stuff as well.

AN/APX-72 IFF Interrogator

"The AN/APX-72 can be used both in search radar modes and in STT radar modes. To enable interrogation the IFF switch is depressed on the Detail Data Display Panel which then activates the interrogator while the button is held or for 10 seconds if held shorter than that."

I guess there's something wrong here.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Thanks for all the help in spotting errors and typos guys!

I'll be updating the manual with those found next time I upload.

Feel free to keep posting any errors found here or by DM to me.

I'd like to know how you do this technically. I could imagine the shole thing works like a CMS where you put content in a GUI and it saves them to a DB, but looking at the links in the address bar it rather seems to be just generated HTML+CSS.

In that case, providing an offline version of the document would be as easy as putting a link to a zip file containing all those files, so we could basically have the whole thing somewhere on our rigs and mobile devices.

BTW I've seen the possibility to stow away the navigation area on my Android tablet in portrait format. It would be great if this was possible regardless of the device / screen width used.

a complete failure of the INS renders weapons such as the AIM-7 inoperable.

My wild guess is that this passage is correct. In case of the Phoenix, you can set you MSL OPTIONS to PH ACT to have it launch in active guidance mode right as soon as it comes off the rail. If that also wouldn't work there's still the ACM Active mode that sets them to active guidance while still being on the rail which means they don't have to rely on anything from the aircraft...

Now some corrections I'd make:

Introduction:

Both the F-14A and F-14B received continuous upgrades during their life, including new programmable cockpit displays (PTID and PMDIG) as well as a new INS system, a digital flight control system (DFCS) and an RWR system amongst others.

It's a RWR system. No vowel there rainbowdashwink.png

The ability to carry and deliver air-to-ground munitions had been implemented in the F-14 from the beginning but ruled out by the Navy as cost and risk ineffective given the F-14’s role as a Fleet Air Defence fighter.

beginning, but twilightsmile.png

With the renewed interest for this role, some of the F-14As and F-14Bs were equipped to carry the LANTIRN targetting pod allowing the RIO to find and designate laser guided bombs for his own aircraft and others. Later on the ability to carry and deliver gps-guided JDAMs was also added.

It's a targeting pod, just one t.

I think it's better to write:

to find targets and designate those to home in laser guided bombs

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg