Multiplayer Jester Disable Feature

Zergburger

You can't make everyone happy, but the big servers want to stay popular, so they won't do something that isn't popular and would cost them a lot of players.
This is true.

I'd just argue some sort of ban on Jester is not popular.

But I'm in the camp that says it doesn't make sense to

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

This is a terrible idea, if you're going to do that then just be done with it and ban the F-14.

It's not already out and the cry babies are trying to hobble it, ffs....

You know that the RIO can be played by a human as well, do you?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

This is true.

I'd just argue some sort of ban on Jester is not popular.

But I'm in the camp that says it doesn't make sense to

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Multiplayer is not popular, either... single player makes up like 90% of the player base... so there's that.

I really don't get the problem with having the option to disable Jester.

I've had a few people approach me and ask if we would ban Jester on the 104th server if given the option.

No.

Jester will never be banned on the 104th if given the functionality to do so.

We applaud HBs efforts to keep the Tomcat useable by lone wolves and while we firmly believe a good RIO is going to out do Jester its still important to us that clients with no RIO can still get a piece of the action.

Edited by [Maverick]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

;3811879']I've had a few people approach me and ask if we would ban Jester on the 104th server if given the option.

No.

Jester will never be banned on the 104th if given the functionality to do so.

We applaud HBs efforts to keep the Tomcat useable by lone wolves and while we firmly believe a good RIO is going to do out do Jester its still important to us that clients with no RIO can still get a piece of the action.

Glad to hear it. Good AI is a great supplement. Once folks master the RIO position, I imagine a human RIO will far outperform Jester... but there's no reason to nerf a solo aircraft by disabling Jester. The loss of combat effectiveness from disabling Jester for solo guys would make the aircraft near useless unless you're on an Acro server.

Glad to hear it. Good AI is a great supplement. Once folks master the RIO position, I imagine a human RIO will far outperform Jester... but there's no reason to nerf a solo aircraft by disabling Jester. The loss of combat effectiveness from disabling Jester for solo guys would make the aircraft near useless unless you're on an Acro server.

Actually, the aircraft would be completely unusable if Jester were disabled and there was no RIO. No RIO/Jester means that you cannot start the aircraft, as a fair chunk of the startup procedure is in the back seat.

Another "problem" once they spotted you the time to spot your wingmen is drastically reduced and the AI won't lose track of you as long as you stay in range.

What do you mean by in range? When I try to evade "excellent" Ai in the mountains it seems they never lose track. The F-18 instant action 4v4 mission comes to mind.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

Actually, the aircraft would be completely unusable if Jester were disabled and there was no RIO. No RIO/Jester means that you cannot start the aircraft, as a fair chunk of the startup procedure is in the back seat.

And that's the point! I want to be able to host servers where people can only fly the F-14 without the help of an AI and for me it doesn't if the AI is being better or worse than human RIOs, I just want an option to disable that artifical element in some cases on my own server.

I'm glad that the 104th doesn't want to disable Jester, as this shows that such a feature would only be used by very few and specialized (private) servers (like mine), so I really don't understand why people can be against such a feature as it would have no negative impact at all.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

What do you mean by in range? When I try to evade "excellent" Ai in the mountains it seems they never lose track. The F-18 instant action 4v4 mission comes to mind.
In range of the applicable sensors. If you hover around a Zsu-23 AAA with a helo in the dark of moonless night, he can't see sh.. with his optical sensor.

A Shilka with radar, or a jet with IRST/FLIR and radar is a different story.

Keep in mind 4 planes "talking" to one another over radio and updating your position as long as one of them knows where you are.

AI won't be evaded by just dropping behind a ridge.

If they spot one plane in a group they do concentrated "scan" for other planes basically reduce the time to acquire you. Finally some planes have datalink...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

A fair chunk of the checklist is, but what blocking items are back there that would inhibit a partially capable start?

A fair chunk of the checklist is, but what blocking items are back there that would inhibit a partially capable start?

Weapons and navigation systems.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Out of my head: radios, RWR, radar.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

[...] or ban solo F-14 players. Boom problem solved.

That's pretty much what I want, but DCS doesn't offer any such functionality. Having the ability to disable Jester on the server would offer that, as it would be pointless to fly the Tomcat without either a human RIO or Jester in the back.

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, please introduce such server setting, on servers where Jester's disabled it will just help to build up new friendships (between pilots and RIOs). Currently it's almost a solo-show-only in F-14s... (with Jester Ai as RIO, as currently it's impossible to let Jester fly the aircraft on multiplayer servers)

Edited by BIGNEWY
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

I - as someone not out to fly the F14 but just to RIO the shit out of it - have long thought about whether to respond here or not.

This thread started with a simple request for a choice. A choice that a server owner can make, or could even now potentially make with the help of triggers in the missions or rules.

It then went on to be a show of non-understanding and of solo pilots fearing that they will get shitty RIOs and want jester unless they can get a better RIO than him.

Even going so far as to judge their fellow pilots as spiteful people jumping in as their RIOs and shutting down systems. (Is that what pilots think of other pilots?)

I sincerely hope you guys help train those RIOs, as they do not have the training missions that you do, as they do not have the experiences from previous planes and previous pulse doppler radars that they can simply transfer over to the F-14.

Because if you don't, I wish you all that you will be pitted against F-14s with supreme human RIOs that outperform your JESTER and tear you to shreds and make your solo-hormon-ego-trippy-brains explode and your eyes cry rivers of regret.

Because: Yes, we will make mistakes, in a more unpredictable manner than JESTER. Correcting a typo or a mispronounced digit is something else entirely from having you chase a radar echo for 2 minutes. I doubt JESTER does that.

I personally fly with a nice pilot who has more time than I do and seems to spent most of his DCS time flying with me as his RIO when I am available. That's good. But it's also quite some pressure when you have to justify (and I say this in a less strong sense of the word) your judgement because you are compared to JESTER (which is ok in some way).

I just seriously doubt (and I have never seen JESTER do his thing or played with him as I don't fly the plane) that in specific corner cases like a 45° turn he just feels like having a better gyrostabilised coordinate-transforming azimuth / elevation control over the radar. But that's just an assumption on my part.

While I am not mathematically challenged I find it hard to do cosine and sine multiplication for different angles of bank to my azimuth / elevation components.

So hey .. before taking over a thread and steering it into a totally different opinion-piece, think about the RIOs that will be reading this and what they might think of you.

Thank you :-)

Edited by deadpool

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

Well, I have been flying with Chester er.... Jester on private servers and i find him prety useless.. he cant mantain a lock, he cant give me SA )the huge stick is bloking the freakingTID most of the time, I have to rely on AWCS like any other single seat aircraft.. I cant imagine why you feel Jester is a "threat" of any kind over a human RIO nuget as he can be and all...

Played with F-14 vs Friend in SU 33 on a private server with a quickly created mission. However, I couldn’t switch to RIO seat to replace Jester by using one of the 2 keys on the KB. Even tried to map occupy RIO seat to stick. No difference. What’s going on?

Also, is there a way to deactivate Jester so my friend has better chances to win?

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

in multiplayer you can't jump into the backseat, limitation of dcs netcode

Louis|Dancer, foundation member of the digital Swiss Air Force, a group of enthusiasts trying to imitate everything that has to do with Swiss military aviation on dcs. If you want to join us, contact us via instagram.

our youtube chanel:dSAF

our instagram:dSAF

my rusty pc: msi gtx1080ti / ryzen 5 2600x / ga-ab350 gaming motherboard / 16gb ram / rift cv1 / warthog

• 3 years later...

I'd just like an option to completely mute jester not have him say anything.

I fly a lot of multiplayer BFM. For me Jester's calls are delayed to the point/so untimely they aren't useful to me and are more like disinformation that decreases my performance. So in my case, rather than having some robot in the back seat giving me calls and info that's irrelevant/inaccurate due to terrible timing, I'd like the option to mute him/shut him off when I want to.

In my experience right now, in addition to "fighting the jet", I also get to use the mental overhead listening to an AI tell me something that's inaccurate, wrong, and useless every 5 seconds.

Edited by CityBFM

21 hours ago, near_blind said:

Crew Contract -> Set Inactive or No Talking?

Any way HB can just put a box to tick that mutes jester in the advanced options menu accessed on the home screen when you first sign in to DCS so I don't have to mess with the jester menu when I have 15 seconds to setup my jet before a gun fight each of the 20 times I air spawn in a public dogfight server session

Edited by CityBFM

I would love to have a checkbox in the F-14 special options in the mission editor to disable Jester completely, just like there is such a checkbox to disable George on the Apache.

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 1 month later...