Fight-TDR-bug program

USSR_Rik

• ED Team

We still trying to catch Timeout Detection & Recovery (TDR) bug related to GPU freezing. Our statistics shows that it is absolute winner in our bugs hit parade.

This bug mostly happens among users and never happens among our testers and in test conditions. In our struggle with this ugly bug we are asking our users to help us to detect bug and send us information which is usefull for us to find the cause.

We prepared a special version of "dx11backend.dll" with additional logging especially for TDR bug. Users who experience frequent crashes and who can find "device removed" messages in their dcs.log can participate in our "fight-TDR-bug program". Download attached archive with DLL-file, unpack and replace your copy of "dx11backend.dll" in the DCS World\bin folder with downloaded one and try to reproduce the crash. File doesn't affect to Integrity Check procedure. You can use Open Beta or Release version for tests.

It would be better if you clear "Logs" folder before first run. In case of success, you should see some files with "TDR" in their names in the "Logs" folder. Send us those files as well as zipped logs. The more crashes you can reproduce the higher chance for us to find and fix the bug.

dx11backend.zip

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, since I got many Device Removed crashes in the last month, except not with DCS but with Destiny 2, now that might be a clue in it self that it could be something external causing it, I did put a new AMD Drivers on around January 2019.

I have now:

18.50.03.05-181217a-337288E-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin2019

I'll try it anyways maybe it can help with more clues.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 3 weeks later...

Oh ! I see this sticky only now… my bad.

I wanted to try your DLL but it makes my game to crash (crash logs attached) at start up on DCS logo before accessing main menu. Maybe it is not compatible with latest DCS version anymore ?

Does this TDR bug is the one that cause crashes for exemple when switching external views between too much distant points of view needing terrain loading, especially on the heavy ressources demanding PG map ?

If it's this one (we are many waiting a fix since it appeared with 2.5.4 in december…) the problem is that it crash to desktop without crash message/crash log/track file.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

Yes I noticed it rather late as well, after posting many times in the threads about "flickering since 2.5.4"

I get this in my dcs.log:

2019-03-23 22:00:00.076 ERROR DX11BACKEND: DX device removed. Reason: 0x887A0006

2019-03-23 22:00:00.077 ERROR DX11BACKEND: failed to create structed buffer. Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

2019-03-23 22:00:00.077 ERROR DX11BACKEND: CreateShaderResourceView FAILED. Reason: E_INVALIDARG

*edit*

Download attached archive with DLL-file, unpack and replace your copy of "dx11backend.dll" in the DCS World\bin folder with downloaded one and try to reproduce the crash. [...]

It would be better if you clear "Logs" folder before first run.

I did just that, but DCS won't even launch with this new dll, Rik. So I'm afraid I won't be able to participate...

DCS crashes shortly after "Getting autorisation data", before arriving to the main menu:

VWxmIIH.png

Edited by Elysian Angel
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

The person who discovered this seems to be on to something:

I just did a flight of over an hour on the Caucasus map, without crash. Previously, DCS would crash after just a few minutes...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

No, this is DCS related, since it happens with pretty much all modules.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else tried this?

What does those changes actually do?

I just did a flight of over an hour on the Caucasus map, without crash. Previously, DCS would crash after just a few minutes...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry mate, but it happened again...no joy!!:no_sad:

Edited by MROK73

Hello, Rik.

Here as follows is my own little report, hope it is some way useful.

I installed that file in my DCS World and Open beta (updated to its last version released a few hours ago) both.

After that, DCS World crashed just after I started it, just as shown in Elysian Angel's pic.

On the other hand, after launching it, Open beta crashed at a sudden after no more than after one minute, but in the Logs folder I found shown three files, a .crash, a .dmp and a dcs text file, Nothing more or else.

With best regards.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry mate, but it happened again...no joy!!:no_sad:

Yup it seems the various "fixes" you can find all over the internet only work temporarily at best: in my case until I reboot my PC.

It's been getting so bad that I can barely do anything in DCS without crashes:

- I can't do anything in Caucasus for longer than a few minutes (jets/helicopters);

- Flying jets in NTTR and SoH is mostly fine, but when flying helicopters DCS crashes every time I get close to a city area (due to reflections off glass windows would be my bet). The screen starts flashing and after 10 seconds or so this happens:

vZLfpBb.png

I spent hours looking for fixes (including Registry edits) all over the internet, but none of them really fix it.

Can we have an update on how the search for this bug is progressing, please?

• Thanks 1
Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, finally I found the cause of problem, that's overheating. DCS would crash anytime the GPU temperature over 72* Celcius. So I tried to cool down the Case, it works and I got no more crash.

• ED Team

Thanks for all, I'll open this thread when we will have any news.

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

• 2 years later...

I think I am experiencing this bug when I run DCS in VR, and especially once overclocking my GPU and trying to run DCS... I'm constantly getting same dx11backend error in the logs too.

DX11BACKEND: DX device removed. Reason: 0x887A0006