Gyro gunsight for ground targets?

galvedro

Hi,

The ground attack exercises with rockets in this campaign ask you to configure the gunsight to the gyro setting prior to the attack. Why is this?

I understand that in the gyro setting, the gunsight provides a firing solution to a tracking shot onto a moving target, i.e., it calculates the required lead for the shot based on your own turning rate. You don't want that when firing at static objects in the ground, do you?

Because it will show the pilot if he's yawing or pitching while he should be flying stable for accurate rockets employment.

I prefer to use the fixed sight myself.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Same thing for the Mig-21.

I always use the fixed sight for both. A stable pipper is what I want.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Same thing for the Mig-21.

Difference is, MiG-21 has proper CCIP sight for guns and rockets, which shows accurate impact point.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Difference is, MiG-21 has proper CCIP sight for guns and rockets, which shows accurate impact point.

Yes it does. It's the gyro part I didn't want.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Another thing to note is that checklists call for setting max range in a gunsight after the sight is on target.

You perform manoeuvres for attack run with sight at minimum range (so it doesn't tumble) and then go to max range (and max sensitivity) in the last attack phase when flying stable. If you fly with sight at max range for the whole attack run, then by the time it stabilizes after final turn you're already past weapon release parameters. Easier said than done with most joysticks. In the real aircraft the range control is on the throttle itself so it's a matter of pilot just rotating his hand.

A similar procedure is for F-86 and the real MiG-21, but these aircraft have electrical gunsight caging (stabilization) using a hotas button, so there's no need to change the range. Just hold the cage during turns. Not simulated in DCS MiG-21 afaik.

Edited by some1

Good point. I tend neither to do that (keep min distance on the sight until lineup), nor flip the trigger safety just before and after shooting. Both are vices that I have that I should correct. And are actually both relevant to many airframes.