Help for a noob

JovenTroll

Hi! So, I am having some real trouble for the laser guided bombs, being that im not hitting targets, so I'm going to tell step by step what do i do to see if you guys can tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

1- Check my laser code is the same as the bombs.

2- In the GBU 12 (for example) profile, CCRP mode, Auto LS on, Ls time 10 secs.

3- Master arm and LS on.

3- Select TGP, make it SOI and then China Hat forward long for making all sensor to lock into the steer point.

4- Slew the TGP into a target and then TMS up.

5- Aling with the ccrp aiming bar. Wait til 10 secs for release. Hold the wepon release button.

6- Missing the target i have fixed on the TGP.

:huh::huh::cry:

Thanks in advence.

TMS Up long on step 4? Shoot a video. Your workflow seems right.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

Edited by The LT

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Are you actually firing the laser? You need to either set up auto lase in the DSMS or manually fire it with the NWS switch. Look for the flashing L in the TGP

Edit: disregard, reread and saw you set auto lase.

I second the above - tms up long to set TGP as spi

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

My biggest issue was that I wasn’t giving it enough time to fall and correct its path. I usually drop them above 8000 feet. Fall time is usually 15-20 seconds and I use 15 sec auto-lase

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Like Sandman said, check if the laser is firing 10 secs before impact. It fires, when the "L" is in the TGP is flashing.

If not, check if you have chosen CCRP, Auto Laser, 10 secs via the weapons main menu. I have made the mistake earlier, that I have chosen the GBU12 manually and changed the settings. Selecting other weapons or going to NAV mode resulted in a loss of the settings, everthing went back to CCIP. So when selecting the GBU, please have a look, if the settings are the same like you have set them before.

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

And you should confirm your TGP is the SPI by looking at the very lower left of the HUD. It should say TGP, not STPT when you are running in. Otherwise the computer is lining you up to drop on the steerpoint.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

What is you Alt?, you might be to high for 10 sec lase time. the bomb could over fly the target before the laser turns on.

Really? Never heard of something like that. You are dropping with CCRP, that means the bomb is released exakt at the point, where the flight curve of the bomb will hit the target. The laser makes it way more precise due to guiding the bomb to the target, but until the laser turns on it is a flight parable of an unguided CCRP bomb which ends up at the target. So the bomb shouldnt fly way over the target

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

Really? Never heard of something like that. You are dropping with CCRP, that means the bomb is released exakt at the point, where the flight curve of the bomb will hit the target. The laser makes it way more precise due to guiding the bomb to the target, but until the laser turns on it is a flight parable of an unguided CCRP bomb which ends up at the target. So the bomb shouldnt fly way over the target

True, unless there is wind and no wind data was entered into the LASTE menu.

Aren't LGBs CCRP solution designed to release the bomb to fall long of target so they would have extra energy to maneuver?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

True, unless there is wind and no wind data was entered into the LASTE menu.

The IFFCC should automatically calculate winds; manually entering wind data should only be necessary when the winds are much different at the target area (which won't happen with static weather in DCS, and should hardly ever be necessary), as far as Snoopy and Eddie have said repeatedly.

What is you Alt?, you might be to high for 10 sec lase time. the bomb could over fly the target before the laser turns on.

Interesting. Never heard of that possibility. What do you base this on?

Aren't LGBs CCRP solution designed to release the bomb to fall long of target so they would have extra energy to maneuver?

Yup, pretty sure that's the case.

I've never heard of bombs falling too long for the laser spot tracker to pick up the laser, though. After all, that's exactly what the bomb is designed to do: Fall free for a few moments and then pick up the laser spot for terminal guidance. I believe 10 seconds should be an okay lase time for all release altitudes.

Speaking of which, low releases tend to miss because there may just not be enough time for the guidance kit to pick up the laser.

@JovenTroll, a video or a track would help, if you still have problems with LGBs.

@Yurgon, have seen a bunch of topics about this over the years, there is a graphic floating around (that I can't find right now) that explains this very good. It has really only to do with the angle of the bomb, the seeker, line of sight etc. As I understand it, the bomb can either 'fly over the laser' before it turns it seeker towards the ground, missing the target or spotting it too early and forcing the bomb too early on its final flight path and reducing it's actual reach.

@All: Anyone know what I got in mind and has a link? Will bookmark this time, promise! <3

@Topic, with laze times I usually go with 50% of the time it takes for my bomb from my plane to the ground. (I prefer manual laze + Latch option in TGP over auto laze to be flexible with altitudes) This has so far always worked out for me, but I usually only drop from 6k ft+ and if I am that low, most of the time I will just drop it in CCIP.

edit: Misunderstood the point. xD /disregard

Edited by ApoNOOB

The IFFCC should automatically calculate winds; manually entering wind data should only be necessary when the winds are much different at the target area (which won't happen with static weather in DCS, and should hardly ever be necessary), as far as Snoopy and Eddie have said repeatedly.

I saw a YouTube video (can’t remember which) of some guy testing this out. He was dropping unguided bombs. The bombs always missed in the same direction and distance without touching the LASTE menu. For these tests he did all his run-ins at the same altitude, airspeed, and heading. After entering in the wind data, he dropped a few more bombs and they all hit very close to the target. A noticeable difference. After seeing that video, I’m not convinced the IFFCC calculates the wind automatically even if it’s supposed to. I always enter in the data now while waiting for INS alignment on the ramp.

As I understand it, the bomb can either 'fly over the laser' before it turns it seeker towards the ground, missing the target or spotting it too early and forcing the bomb too early on its final flight path and reducing it's actual reach.

That's quite interesting; I don't recall ever hearing about that too long drop. Especially with the A-10, it's hard to drop from very high alt anyway. :smartass:

I guess with the F-18 or F-14 it's more likely that there might be a problem when CCRP'ing from Angels 30 and above. I'll try to keep this in mind in case LGB problems appear around those aircraft in these conditions.

As for the bomb picking up the laser too soon and bleeding its energy so that it falls short, I think that would actually be a problem with our version of the Paveway, but in DCS I've never seen it happen. I used to advise people to lase no more than 15 seconds before impact, but many players say they just start lasing as soon as they drop, and regardless of altitude their LGBs never fall short, so I'm thinking this isn't actually simulated in DCS - or, once again, it might be a problem that the A-10 just doesn't have because it doesn't fly all that high. ;)

After seeing that video, I’m not convinced the IFFCC calculates the wind automatically even if it’s supposed to. I always enter in the data now while waiting for INS alignment on the ramp.

Yeah, he made a pretty good point. I think I remember that video, IIRC it's based on this thread.

In my squad, some of the guys enter wind data religiously into the CDU, others don't. Can't say that I can really spot a difference in our bombing accuracy between the different setups, though. Since I have more than enough stuff to do during start-up, I go by what Snoopy and Eddie said and just skip CDU wind data. I don't think it does any harm, but it doesn't seem necessary to me, either.