[REPORTED]Water Flickering (NOT screen flickering)

bandit648

I'm seeing water flickering when using dynamic weather under heavy cloud cover. The issue doesn't occur with static weather clouds. The flicker usually starts a few minutes after starting a flight and is only visible from inside the cockpit. If you flip to external view there is no flickering. I've tested this with a variety of aircraft and they all do it. The issue is present in both open beta and stable release.

Is anyone else seeing this? I want to use dynamic weather but I can't stand it with this flickering. I'm running 1440p resolution with G-Sync, no VR. I've tested it with a variety of DCS settings and system config and nothing seems to get rid of it. Reducing water detail level down to medium or low helps but it still flickers where the water is reflecting the sun.

Here's a video I made of it...

https://youtu.be/Xgye29k3IFU

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

I also get this in OB with dynamic weather using the rift in the same scenarios you mentioned. I used to get the black flickering until a couple of updates ago.

Edited by pimp

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

We need as many replies to this thread as possible to get attention. Otherwise I suspect this won't be fixed anytime soon by ED. If you have this issue, please reply to the thread with details!

Thanks

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

Noticed since 2.5

Unfortunately I don't think many people use dynamic weather due to the difficulty in configuring it so I don't expect this to get much support. It probably won't get fixed... :(

Unfortunately I don't think many people use dynamic weather due to the difficulty in configuring it so I don't expect this to get much support. It probably won't get fixed... :(

This is a desaster! Static weather causes performance problems, is not mp friendly and has clouds dissapearing, while dynamic weather is a pain to set up and comes with flickering.

So daytime, clear sky aviation until it finally gets patched in 2021?!

• 2 weeks later...

[REPORTED]Water Flickering (NOT screen flickering)

This is a separate issue than the black screen flicker reported https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=227646.

Since the 13FEB update I've noticed water flickering--some others have described it as "jelly water"--on Caucasus and PG from inside the cockpit of the Hornet and MiG-21. I do not get water flickering from the Harrier cockpit. I do not get water flickering from external views. For whatever reason it is only when looking through cockpit glass on certain modules.

Video of phenomenon:

oTOpBbNWnFo

I started a thread about this recently also. Are you using dynamic weather in that video? In my experience I can only reproduce the flickering with dynamic weather clouds in certain situations. Static weather clouds don't do it.

Yep, using dynamic weather in this clip, and most of my missions recently. I haven't flown static weather in a while.

Yes, so the issue is caused by reflections produced with dynamic weather clouds. I've seen a few threads here and there detailing this issue since around June of last year, but no response from ED.

It's difficult to get attention on issues like this as ED seems to consider them low priority. You could try opening a ticket but it's unlikely get any attention. The best thing you can do is try to identify the exact conditions that produces the flickering. I think it has to do with certain lighting conditions so the only solution is to try and avoid those conditions.

Its only related with dynamic weather, the one I use because I dont have stutterings (as opose with static and cloud-disappearing wheater). Please ED fix it, at least the problems we have since many months (even years).

Weather is one of the most important things from pilot perspective. Thanks.

this is really annoying.

since static weather is broken in it's own way (clouds dissappearing, stuttering, lack of MP sync), i learned to setup dynamic weather, which is a pain by itself.

Now i also get flickering water. Please ED, get your s*** together. Good Looking weather would be nice, but just functional weather is a necessity for a flight sim!!!!

It's frustrating because I can guarantee you this is a bug and not user created or system configuration related but there are only a few of us complaining about it. So, it's unlikely to get any attention from the dev's.

The priority appears to be on the Hornet right now and not anything else. If you look that the bugs and problems sub-forum of the Hornet the dev-team is all over that, flagging posts with "[REPORTED]" and other tags indicating that they are looking at the issues.

This forum is VERY quiet in comparison... :shocking:

Something I just noticed about this issue....

I watched the video of water flickering on my laptop and it's not noticeable. My laptop display is 4k@60hz. I wonder if the way DCS is rendering reflections is triggering this negative affect on certain types of monitors.

My monitor is 32-inch LG-32GK850G 1440p 144hz G-Sync. I've tried different resolutions, refresh rates, gsync off, etc. but the issue persists.

What type of monitors are you guys running?

**NEVERMIND- I just watched the video in this thread on my laptop and it flickers as expected. My video doesn't possibly because of the way I recorded it in fraps.

Edited by bandit648

Is there that much of a difference between clouds in static weather and dynamic weather? I know there's a thread showing that static weather clouds cause stutters while dynamic clouds don't, but here's what I noticed:

1. Static clouds and dynamic clouds impact framerates the same.

2. Static clouds and dynamic clouds look the same.

3. Static clouds of the same density, altitude, and lighting settings do not cause water flickering while dynamic clouds do.

What gets me is #3. If all other variables are the same with dynamic v. static being the only difference, static does not cause flickering.

Is there that much of a difference between clouds in static weather and dynamic weather? I know there's a thread showing that static weather clouds cause stutters while dynamic clouds don't, but here's what I noticed:

1. Static clouds and dynamic clouds impact framerates the same.

2. Static clouds and dynamic clouds look the same.

3. Static clouds of the same density, altitude, and lighting settings do not cause water flickering while dynamic clouds do.

What gets me is #3. If all other variables are the same with dynamic v. static being the only difference, static does not cause flickering.

4. Static clouds disappears when change views.

5. Static clouds has a very limited radius (50nm).

6. Dynamic clouds get a higher density in stormy conditions vs static clouds in level 8.

7. Static clouds can be set to different base levels, while dynamic clouds cannot.

Which misses my point. In terms of the visual appearance of individual clouds themselves and the shadows cast on the water, static and dynamic are the same. So why does one cause graphical issues while the other doesn't?

Maybe the dynamic clouds use a different shader fx file. I've been through all of them trying to figure out a way to lower the dynamic cloud level and haven't figured out which one controls dynamic clouds yet.

I've had pretty good results messing with the cirrus clouds through the \Bazar\shaders\clouds\cirrus.fx file though.

The other component we're forgetting here is the issue only persists INSIDE the cockpit.. so it has something to do with cockpit glass AND dynamic weather reflections :doh: :doh:

• 3 weeks later...
This is a desaster! Static weather causes performance problems, is not mp friendly and has clouds dissapearing, while dynamic weather is a pain to set up and comes with flickering.

So daytime, clear sky aviation until it finally gets patched in 2021?!

bump.