LANTIRN, does it have an AA mode?

LF_Luftmanu

Kombawa! after searching for it in this forum I couldn't find any info about this feature. I am not sure if I remember correctly but I swear I read somewhere that some dev team said that the TGP can't communicate with the aircraft systems and the TGP wouldn't have a AA mode.

Is this correct?

Can't wait to see the TGP in action

:pilotfly:

More modern, higher resolution IR-capable camera than the TCS pod. Some of the F-14 videos on YT show off the TCS pod tracking other jets. It can't guide weapons on them, though.

The AWG-9 weapon system can use the TCS for angle tracking data and the radar for range tracking in combination. I’m not sure if this can generate the required solution for weapon launch though, prob not....

The LANTIRN was a bolt on solution, so probably isn’t integrated to the degree that it can be slaved to the radar LOS. It may be able to track an AA target independently.

It's a targeting pod for PGMs. Why would it?

It does have some use for identifying other aircraft, and if I remember right was better at it than the TCS.

The LANTIRN pod does have an AA mode, at least when coupled with the F-15E. I believe the AA mode is classified to some extent.

D'oh. I had intended to say "videos on YT show off the LANTIRN tracking other jets." This is what I get for paying half attention to what I'm typing.

Blaze, that's interesting. I wasn't aware that capability existed. I think the F-14 and F-15E used different variations of the LANTIRN. The USAF variant is a two-pod system. I'm not sure if all of its capabilities were replicated in the F-14's single pod.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

I think the USAF variant and the Naval version used by the F-14 have two different designations, AN/AAQ-14 & AN/AAQ-25 respectively, but I don't know if there're any internal differences between the two.

The LANTIRN (USAF) system consisted of two pods, the AN/AAQ-13 Navigation Pod and the AN/AAQ-14 Targeting Pod. The Nav Pod contains the FLIR and the imagery it received and processed was superimposed on the HUD. The Nav Pod also contained a radar for terrain following flight. The two pods could be used independently and one didn't rely on the other, so not having the Nav Pod shouldn't deter from any AA capabilities if present.

The following video gives the viewer a brief look at the LANTIRN AA mode of the F-15E:

Edited by Blaze1
Typo

The AWG-9 weapon system can use the TCS for angle tracking data and the radar for range tracking in combination. I’m not sure if this can generate the required solution for weapon launch though, prob not....

TCS can be used for weapon launch, though it either needs to use vertical displacement tricks for ranging, or have the radar slaved and illuminating.

At least, this is according to HB's manual.

TCS can be used for weapon launch, though it either needs to use vertical displacement tricks for ranging, or have the radar slaved and illuminating.

At least, this is according to HB's manual.

Thanks, I had read that in the manual but had forgot the specifics. Interesting anyhow.

The Navy system crammed the targeting and navigation capabilities into a single pod. I wonder if they had to sacrifice anything.

No- it’s the same pod other than an internal GPS unit. The other pod on the F-15E and Block 40 F-15C is a TFR pod. That’s it. So the F-14 doesn’t have TFR. AAQ-25 is the name of the system after the LANTIRN 40k upgrade

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

The following video gives the viewer a brief look at the LANTIRN AA mode of the F-15E:

AFAIK, that is video of development and testing for the ATFLIR and does not represent the TGP flown in the USAF F-15E.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

More modern, higher resolution IR-capable camera than the TCS pod. Some of the F-14 videos on YT show off the TCS pod tracking other jets. It can't guide weapons on them, though.

This here :)

You can track aircraft. It's cool.

We have some shots of it in Anytime, Baby! and the Overview videos IIRC.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

AFAIK, that is video of development and testing for the ATFLIR and does not represent the TGP flown in the USAF F-15E.

The presentation of the AA mode is very similar (almost identical) to that of the AAQ-14 when install on the F-15E. The only notable differences are the FoV cue and the cross.