Is DCS WWII stalled? DCS dont want customers?

motoadve

Looks like a test to customers patience to me.

New DM has been promised for years now.

Is it ever going to be a reality? Devs dont seem to be having it as priority of any sort.

It could make DCS WWII a great sim, and get lots of new customers.

WWII has a big market. Look at how many people buy IL2 series, more and more.

This is the only reason I dont buy DCS WWII, and I think many other WWII simulator enthusiasts.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DM has not "only" a WW2 feature, has a milestone to all DCS World.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3661768&postcount=164

Modeling Update

We recognize that an important aspect to improve in DCS World is more realistic damage modeling in regards to localized effects, visual effects, affect on hit components, and type of weapon impact. Regarding the latter, the new damage model will be based on two types of weapon impact: penetrating impact and proximity impact. This provides us with three primary weapon effects on a unit: penetrating (projectiles), volumetric/pressure wave (high-explosive) and volumetric/shrapnel. This last effect allows weapon casing fragments to be tracked as unique objects entering the unit. This is not modeled in our current damage model system, but it will provide a great improvement to aircraft, and later, ground unit damage.

When a projectile or shrapnel penetrates a unit, the strength and functionality of the of the unit component it intersects with is affected. This includes components like spars, flight control surfaces, engine, weapons, fuel, etc. This, in turn, can greatly affect aircraft performance and system functionality.

The team has been working hard on this new damage model system, and the primary work is now complete. It is now undergoing internal testing. We will first roll out the new damage model system in our World War II aircraft, then later move to our more modern aircraft and then ground units.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3735501&postcount=177

These three of these aircraft are well underway and we plan to release or more in 2019. With the addition of the new damage model, dynamic campaign, new World War II maps, and more units added to the World War II Assets Pack like the Ju-88, Bf 109G, C-47, A-20G, and others, DCS World War II will continue to grow and bring great new gameplay!

Moving along at a snail's pace IMO too. Would like to see the development speeded up. But "stalled" as in "abandoned"? No.

I agree. I purchased the Normandy map and assets pack because I thought this had some potential. About 20 years ago there was a cool subscription based massive online WWII sim. Seems like DCS could easily better that... it was great fun. Some of the real WWII battles were massive furballs. It seems like a great area to have do a good sim that would be less dependent on many of the things that are difficult to get right in a more modern simulation.

Also, it seems that it might be easier to map huge areas of the Pacific where it is mostly ocean, and relatively small land mass, making it easier to make the map. Just imagine the Hawaiian, Midway, Gilbert, Marshall, and Solomon Islands as a start and expand West from there.

Might it not also be easier to implement a dynamic campaign based on this sort of scenario than a modern one?

Obviously, we would need more than the asset pack some of us purchased with Normandy.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

Some of the real WWII battles were massive furballs.

Simulating this may be a problem, because DCS with its complex FMs is a computationally expensive sim to run. That some competitors past or present may have succeeded in this, only points to their physics modelling being more rudimentary.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Simulating this may be a problem, because DCS with its complex FMs is a computationally expensive sim to run. That some competitors past or present may have succeeded in this, only points to their physics modelling being more rudimentary.

Is that because each computer is modeling the actions of all the assets in the sim?

If properly run on a server and AI aircraft are removed, then wouldn't our individual clients have less work to do - primarily modeling the flight of the aircraft we are in?

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

Is that because each computer is modeling the actions of all the assets in the sim?

If properly run on a server and AI aircraft are removed, then wouldn't our individual clients have less work to do - primarily modeling the flight of the aircraft we are in?

Yes, your computer (or the server machine in case of multiplayer) has to compute all the AI aircraft and their actions. That's not possible to do in such a detail as it is the case for the player aircraft (e.g. things like professional flight modell and advanced systems modelling or the upcoming detailed damage model). That's why AI aircraft have to be more simplified.

Now if you play multiplayer, then each client computer can fully simulate their own aircraft, so you can only fight against fully simulated oponents in multiplayer.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Nor too much but not long ago we were told by Nine(Sith)line they were thoroughly testing internally the new feature.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Played other "World Games", and other flight sims. From my perspective, the direction DCS is going long term is a true integrated world, across era's across platforms. Based on what is out there now, a long and difficult road to go, but in the end far far superior to any "World" combat simulator out there now.

Worth the wait, and one of those folks (backers) that is thankful when ED stepped in and saved the mess that was the original WWII effort. So many wonderful platforms to fly in the meantime, and the updates (for me) indicate that nothing has been abandoned. When I get my ME 262, it will have been worth the wait. In the meantime, plenty to fly and master.

Nothing else even comes close to DCS, on any level, that I have played currently on the market. Even the venerable IL2 Sturmovik series, which is still better than most.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

I don't think a Fw190A-8, P-47 afterwards and Mosquito WIP and a new WWII map on the works means anything is stalled, may be it means people just don't pay attention to the news.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

• ED Team

Regarding the technical part of the work - the most challenging works are now in progress: fan cooling for the BMW that will be as physical as we use to do, Komandogerat with the same physics we have, for example, for R-R boost control and Bendix-Stromberg carburettor as well as for Jumo-213 MBG including thermodynamics approaches to aneroid modelling.

Then will be the time to the turbo unit for P-47 that will be done using the same approaches that we have for Ka-50, A-10 and L-39 engines.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

No doubt good things are coming by the sounds of it, but yeah, I get your frustration. Just keep in mind these are extraordinary modeled planes. It may take a while to see your favorite plane, theater, feature.

It seems like there's a bottle neck problem. I too keep hearing things such as we had to move the team to work on this or that. I though WW2 stuff had their own team? Anyway rooting for the devs to get things rolling for us piston heads. I strongly believe DCS would have no rival once they fully fledged an era. And WW2 is my favorite.

Specs: i7-4790K @4.00 ghz, EVGA 2080ti , 16GB ram, Samsung 512GB SSD x2.

Gear: Virpil Alpha stick with Mongoos T-50CM2 throttle, Combat-Pro flight pedals, Track ir 5 & Reverb G2

once they fully fledged an era

With the FM / systems modelling this good, they'll fookin' WIPE the floor with the boolc**p arcade competition if they get their stuff together. Trust me on this.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Think it does not matter what comes out in the future. We already have four iconic warbirds. I have all four of them and there is still nothing to do except burning skies or single player sightseeing flights.

Even now without the damage model and limited SP content and a number of other problems, I find it very difficult to fly any other WW2 combat than DCS these days.

Yes a better damage model would be nice and I can't wait, but the flight models themselves are just so much better than the competition that after flying them for a while I just can't really go back!

The spitfire for example is a god damned masterpiece. The competition just does not come close to how authentic that AC feels in VR combined with a jetseat and a good HOTAS. Already blows the competition out of the water in my opinion, but I think at this stage it depends what you're looking for and where your priorities lay.

I want the DM as much as the next guy, but it's not something I really lose sleep over. It also helps that I am not exactly a veteran and so I don't get bored with and am still challenged fighting the AI, and making my own missions.

Another factor in my favor is that I dont really care too much about which plane is in which map/terrain or if it's the correct variant for the correct time period etc. I just make missions and role play that it is WW2. For me it's just a BF109! I think people get too hung up on that stuff, to the point were they wont even make/share missions for the DCS 109 just because there is not a historically accurate context for it. For me this is insanity tbh, as it's only a simulation anyway! Almost all DCS modules require a bit of imagination to make them work. It's not like the Huey has a vietnam terrain to fly in either!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Even now without the damage model and limited SP content and a number of other problems, I find it very difficult to fly any other WW2 combat than DCS these days.

Yes a better damage model would be nice and I can't wait, but the flight models themselves are just so much better than the competition that after flying them for a while I just can't really go back!

The spitfire for example is a god damned masterpiece. The competition just does not come close to how authentic that AC feels in VR combined with a jetseat and a good HOTAS. Already blows the competition out of the water in my opinion, but I think at this stage it depends what you're looking for and where your priorities lay.

I want the DM as much as the next guy, but it's not something I really lose sleep over. It also helps that I am not exactly a veteran and so I don't get bored with and am still challenged fighting the AI, and making my own missions.

Another factor in my favor is that I dont really care too much about which plane is in which map/terrain or if it's the correct variant for the correct time period etc. I just make missions and role play that it is WW2. For me it's just a BF109! I think people get too hung up on that stuff, to the point were they wont even make/share missions for the DCS 109 just because there is not a historically accurate context for it. For me this is insanity tbh, as it's only a simulation anyway! Almost all DCS modules require a bit of imagination to make them work. It's not like the Huey has a vietnam terrain to fly in either!

The flight models are not any better. You confuse that with they feel different from sim to sim which makes sense as each sim has its own technique in simulating certain effects.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

ED is aware that WW2 aircraft can rake in some real money. Mostly it's just that making succesful simulator products is very difficult and takes time.

ED's problem may be that they have a strong competitor. They don't have a good strategy for making WW2 the focus and also they don't have a strong team that could focus on WW2 yet. That is why it's not their priority area for the time being I think.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

The flight models are not any better. You confuse that with they feel different from sim to sim which makes sense as each sim has its own technique in simulating certain effects.
Sorry mate but I think you're the confused one. DCS WWII flight models are way different and all the way better than anything you have known in you lifetime. It's only some people understand, feel and appreciate that for what's worth while others are just happy gaming any stuff.

Just a tip, remember the goal here is real life, so if they were all correctly simulated and true to life they'd be exactly the same in just a different skin which as you said they are not :music_whistling: .

S!

Welcome to your own opinion but I strongly disagree! :)

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

The DCS warplanes are really good (with a few bugs, but still), the rest isn't in my opinion. Mixed '44 and ' 45 flyable plane set, missing AI planes, radio, ground radar, tactics, wingmen AI, DM come to mind.

With the slow delivery of new content and features to me WW2 feels like an ED side project with no real momentum behind it.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

i wouldnt say that the FMs are leaps and bounds better here than they are at the competition. they all strive to resemble real life as close as possible, thats what they claim at least.

but all sims, and dcs is not an exception here, balance realism with playability. and in all sims, the FMs are not perfect, and not 100% like their real life counterparts. claiming that dcs is true to real life is just naive and wishful thinking. the FMs are good, but still plenty of room to improve.

the real problem here is the time it takes until they develop a new aircraft or any ww2 content. and also the time it takes until bugs are fixed again once something gets broken. it doesnt seem like there is a dedicated team working only on ww2 stuff, and as tintifaxl said, ww2 here feels like a side project with no momentum.

Edited by birdstrike

Remember one of ED CEOs has Nick Grey, The Fighter Collection / Flying Legends CEO, with a great quantity of real Warbirds in flying conditions, including P-51, Spitfires, etc and access to pilots, mechanics and documentations.

Edited by Silver_Dragon