[REPORTED]F18 Radar not picked up previous player when spawned into MP after 1st

Arctander

Reproducible: 50%

Date: 2018-02-25

Sim version: 2.5.4.27314 Open Beta

Mission: Multiplayer (Mission attached)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Have two players in Multiplayer mission- starting distance 15 to 20 nm apart, head on, co altitude

2. One player spawns in

3. Second player spawns in after first

4. 2nd player checks radar - sees no contact

5. 2nd player brings range scale into 5nm and then back to 40

6. 1st Player will appear on 2nd player radar

Problem:

Radar not functioning correctly for 2nd player spawning in to server until the range scale brought into 5nm and back out.

Track: Track attached showing the issue and workaround

Desired solution: Radar functions on spawn in and detects previous players

SP/MP: Seems to only impact MP

System spec: Tested on two systems with same result by two separate players

Controllers: Tested on different controller setups and Flat screen/VR

18-vs-18-heaters.miz

18-vs-18-heaters-20190225-211319.trk

Screen_190225_205607.thumb.png.2115bbf09999c581c31b3ee7222a35fc.png

Edited by Arctander
uploading screenshot

I was the other player in the 1v1 session(s) and was also able to reproduce this on my side.

We have been seeing this issue in our squad for a while. Now is the first time we could reproduce it reliably.

Theory:

Some radar scan parameters may be uninitialized/initialized with random junk during certain conditions. Changing to the 5 nm scale triggers a unique bar scan pattern (see dcs f18 manual for detailed explanation), forcing a re-initialization of these variables (again, just a theory for why this workaround works)

Edited by Captain Slow

I have seen this too. You can also reproduce this in the following way:

1. Create two client F-18 flights, each activating an enemy when it spawns.

2. Enter the first flight and kill the enemy

3. Go menu -> choose slot and choose the second flight

4. Notice that sometimes the radar on the second client F-18 will have no returns even though the new enemy has spawned in

I suspect that this has something to do with the radar code not being properly connected to the game object space data.

In the mean time a workaround exists that has worked great for me in both the multiplayer scenarios as well as the scenario shown above:

1. Turn the radar OFF (switch on the right panel, not SIL on the MFD).

2. Wait 5 seconds

3. Turn the radar ON

The above gets the radar working again though sometimes it comes back on with radar elevation set all the way up or all the way down and I need to re-centre it.

I assume that the radar code is disconnected from the game state when you turn it off, and reconnected when you turn it on. This would explain why the workaround gets it up and running again. Of course my assumptions about why could all be wrong. I am just guessing at the reasons for the failure.

Hope this is useful.

This has been issue ever since the EA relase; taking new air spawn slot might get the radar bugged. It's easy to notice by checking radar PRF on radar page, if it says HI or MED then radar works but if it says PDI or nothing at all then it's bugged. Fastest way to fix it is to select A2A gun and then go back to missiles.

This has been issue ever since the EA relase; taking new air spawn slot might get the radar bugged. It's easy to notice by checking radar PRF on radar page, if it says HI or MED then radar works but if it says PDI or nothing at all then it's bugged. Fastest way to fix it is to select A2A gun and then go back to missiles.

Ahh a much faster work-around. Thanks Kapsu!

• 10 months later...