[MISSING TRACK FILE] F-18 RWR does not report the radar emissions of the R-77 missile

atsmith6

To reproduce:

1. Setup a 1v1 Mig-29S (excellent) with R-77 vs an F-18 with AIM-120 at 40NM
  2. Converge and fire an AIM-120 at about 14NM
  3. Notice that the Mig launches an R-77 at about 11NM then turns out to defend against the AIM-120
  4. Notice that once turned away the lock and launch tones stop and the RWR is silent
  5. Wait a few more seconds and notice your aircraft explode. Until then manoeuvre as if to beam a stealth missile
  6. Watch the track in Tacview:
  7. Notice that the missile continued to track as you manoeuvred even when the RWR was silent

This bug makes that missile defence vs the R-77 near impossible as you can't tell if or when it stops tracking. My assumption is that as a radar guided missile during it's terminal phase it would be blasting out a radar signal which the RWR should see and report.

Hope this is useful. Kind Regards!

EDIT: After trying this again a few times the next evening I found that I was getting RWR indications for the R-77 sometimes but not all the time. Sometimes it worked just fine, and sometimes I just exploded with no indication of the missile launch. It did seem like the silent missile was more likely after re-spawning into a second or third jet in the same mission. For context I have a simple mission with four F-18s set as client (in the air) and four opposing Mig-29s. Each client spawns one -29 when GROUP ALIVE is true. This lets me do four 1v1s before re-starting the mission. It might be the late spawning aircraft that's not working properly. There is a second bug that only happens when I re-spawn (only sometimes) where the radar gets no returns at all until I turn it off and on again. Maybe a similar problem?

Edited by atsmith6

Note that I've edited the first post with this information and a little more

Flew a number of 1v1 again tonight. Sometimes I got a M indicator on my RWR with tone and sometimes not. The missile was approximately at my 10 o-clock about 30° above relative to my aircraft when hit. Tacview again confirmed it was an R-77. Interestingly I did get an RWR warning on one where the R-77 hit me from below my (again relative to my F-18).

I'm wondering whether another comment on a different post that this R-77 can change to IR guidance when terminal is what's actually going on?

Edited by atsmith6