[REPORTED]So, the ab-212.lods.json ... Huey skins too shiny

ams999

Not sure why this file was introduced but apart from solving one problem it introduces some others...

Residing in [DCS]\Bazar\World\Shapes\, maybe it got introduced because of

but led to

as the whole UH-1H reflectivity is affected and not only the glass.

The only values pertaining to glass are

{

"uh-1_glass_dm": {

"reflMult": 0.14000000059604644775,

"reflAdd": 0.085000000894069671631,

"specMult": -0.20000000298023223877,

"specAdd": 0.123999999463558197021,

"specSelect": 1,

"albedoLevel": 0.11100000143051147461,

"albedoContrast": 1.0

},

"uh-1_glass": {

"reflMult": 0.75,

"reflAdd": 0.013000000268220901489,

"specMult": -0.16400000452995300293,

"specAdd": 0.119599999487400054932,

"albedoLevel": 0.16699999570846557617,

"albedoContrast": 0.75

},

"uh1_colorglass": {

"reflMult": 1.0,

"reflAdd": 0.0,

"specMult": -1.2999999523162841797,

"specAdd": 1.0,

"albedoLevel": 0.0,

},

"uh-1_glass_dam": {

"reflMult": 1.0,

"reflAdd": 0.0,

"specMult": -1.2999999523162841797,

"specAdd": 1.0,

"albedoLevel": 0.0,

}

}

while the rest seems superfluous to me.

Thanks to berk.kp for finding the culprit file! 

I have attached a cleaned version which simply replaces the original file via OvGME or direct copy. In that version, I have also changed two values to make the glass more reflective as I prefer that effect. If you wish to revert to original values, delete the (1) in the following lines:

"uh-1_glass_dm": {

"specAdd": 0.(1)23999999463558197021, (orig 0.23...)

"uh-1_glass": {

"specAdd": 0.(1)19599999487400054932, (orig 0.19...)

I can't attach *.json so I zipped the file. Incidentally, I also made it OvGME ready that way...

ab-212_lods_json.zip

Edited by ams999
Links broken after forum software update, amended title for clarity, thanks to berk.kp for finding the file
  • Thanks 3

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

• 6 months later...

When you look at it in the model viewer, what do you see? That is what I consider 'right'.

I consider something done to a skin that you see in game but not in model viewer as pretty useless.

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance

In my opinion if you want an aluminium look use the appropriate RoughMets for that skin. Don't use some arbitrary json file affecting *all* skins.

Then I guess you are missing the point.

The model viewer exactly *is* what shows you the design of a specific skin. That's what it's there for. That's its purpose.

This json affects *all* skins and not only a specific skin. Whether they're supposed to be shiny or flat. The Air America skin is one skin for which this works *by accident*. The way it was designed you get shown in the model viewer.

I don't want to argue, I just gave the question no more.

Edit:

Yes I understand the parameter affects all skins and no simple answer to what is right.

After a bit of investigation, I found out that the film original is aluminum.

kquZ6fwDNIY

Edited by petsild

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

So you are *still* missing the point entirely? Interesting.

As you still miss the point let me try to get it across to you step-by-step:

- If you wish to create a skin with an aluminium effect you do so by creating appropriate 'spec' or 'roughmet' files and integrating those in the appropriate description.lua of that specific skin.

- Look at other modules how this is done right. You can even observe that in the model viewer.

- You do not, however, create a file that affects *all* skins and can't even be reasonably influenced in the model viewer. Also, I very much doubt that the json was created for an aluminium effect on any skin, this is just a side effect.

So yes, there is a simple answer as to what is right.

Edited by ams999

I'm sorry I don't understand, what exactly is missing?

Are you trolling me? Seriously.

Everything is answered in my posts above.

This gets quite spammy here so I am done explaining things to you. If you still haven't understood it until now you never will, I'm afraid.

• 6 months later...

After a long time I'm starting subject material to understand. Making your own skin made me revive this topic.

All the current camouflage have attribute material: metal, which is not suitable for 98% of them.

When using the mod ab-212_lods_json.zip they are all completely matte even the windows of the cabin.

I kept on looking and found another solution using the mod https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=233321 it does not have a positive effect.

There are instructions from SkateZilla https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=193596 according to which should go change the attribute of the material RoughMet at the same time for the Huey?

Personal results are more :( shine and reflection than the default.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

• ED Team

I have reported the shine / reflection to the team

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...

The issue has been raised more than 2 years ago, "reported" at the very least 2 times and yet the problem is still here.

I understand the fact that things might take some times and that it is not a priority but two years seems a lot imho.

Could we have an update, a report on the reports maybe ?

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

thanks

Thoughts on when this is gonna get updated?

• Like 1

Marvin "Cactus" Palmer

DCS:World 2.5(ob)

Gigabyte Z390 Designare i7-9700K (4.6GHz), 32Gb RAM (3600MHz), GTX2070, 40" 1080p Monitor, TM Warthog, Saitek Rudder pedals,TM Cougar MFD, and an ipad.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I had to re-learn about this fix due to reinstalling DCS on a new computer. The problem I find for me is trying to remember the hundreds of tweaks and "fixes" to reinstate every time and I'm not exactly getting any younger, sigh.

A US Army Huey in "Helo Drab" that isn't exactly drab is kind of a let down.

Thanks again to the modders who fixed this.

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

• ams999 changed the title to [REPORTED]So, the ab-212.lods.json ... Huey skins too shiny
  • 7 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 1:03 PM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

Hi,
can you @Bignewy please update the information, thank you very much. Pet

• 7 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 8:03 AM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

Hello Sir: I am respectfully quoting you with hope you can ask my question. It has been 1 year later and this issue has still not been fixed. I truly love the UH-1 HUEY and was wondering if we can get any kind of realistic answer for this problem getting fixed. I have attached 2 pic I used a Custom made Spec file to dramatically show this problem is Clearly tied into the External Hardpoint. as the pictures show one with hardpoints on one with hard points off. I understand this is a older Model But it just gets old to have a Visual, very visual problem like this go on for I think 3 years now. With no input as to if it will ever be fixed. If you can look into it and let the community have a understanding of how ED looks at this Model problem we Thank You so much. If it turns out it will not be addressed at all it would be good to know that. It's a long time problem Sir, Thank You for your Time.

Please look at ams999's File Fix for this problem and see if ED will just put his fix in the next update of the game. It Does w wonderful job of fixing the problem. I am sorry I did not Install his file before starting this post because it has solved this bug as far as I want it to. Thanks for any time or reply you may give, Please look at his work it is Awesome to see my skin in the game for the first time the way it looks in the Model Viewer.

HUEY HELP1.png

HUEY HELP2.png

Edited by DishDoggie
forgot something
  • Thanks 2

@ams999

Wow thank you so much I feel stupid it took me so long to find this FIX.  I made the above post then I installed this fix. I should of did it in reverse lol. I would love to start Including This unedited zip file ab-212_lods_json.zip inside my zip file skins with a Install note recommending its install to fix this Bug. Please give input on if, and how, that may be done correctly. It's a real game changer for Skins. Wow Thank You. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DishDoggie said:

Glad you like it 😃  I've always been a bit puzzled why only few people seem to use it and instead fly around with the shiny Huey but I thought maybe priorities are just different for other people. And maybe it's somewhat hard to find as my first post is already over 3 (THREE!!) years old... for something that takes around 5-10 seconds...

Anyway, if you want to include my file in your skin files AFAIAC feel free to do so as I don't see a problem, I simply prefer any skins with this file in use anyway. You can reference me if you want to but I don't care too much about that so I don't mind either way.

I also wouldn't mind too much if it gets used to finally fix the official file after many many years 😆

• Like 2