MIDS and IFF Related Questions / Discussion

AvroLanc

Well I've spent the best part of the afternoon playing around with the new toys. So far the datalink functions are looking like a real bonus to SA.

However I have a few questions regarding the planned implementation (not really bugs).

1. Is it correct that an IFF ID should be 'remembered' by the system? You can IFF a contact, turn away for a few minutes, lose the contact completely off the radar and when reacquired, he's still hostile...... How does it know?

2. NCTR print happens instantaneously. I'm sure that it would take some radar processing time before an ID. At least that's how it's modeled in other sims...maybe not a good reference but still it's logical....

3. MIDS DDI page. We've spent the last few months staring at a static MIDS page. Hopefully there's a plan to model the NET ENTRY portion..... Can we at least interact a little more with this page on a cold start? I know MIDS voice is coming.

4. MSI information on the radar page? Hopefully it's planned to model the HAFU symbols and RWR symbols on the radar page as well. It's currently annoying having to mentally correlate each contact between 2 different pages.

Thanks Wags and team for implementing such a cool addition....

1) presumably there is some logic to figuring out if it's the same contact. I frequently find it does not, but sometimes it does. I'm guessing the target not maneuvering, but just continuing along the same course/speed/altitude, would be a factor.

2) See "Raid Assessment" at

http://www.radartutorial.eu/20.airborne/ab04.en.html

This does not require a lot of processing. As soon as you get a usable signal (close enough, correct aspect, etc) there isn't much to do.

I can't use the interrogator on multiplayer server when I start from ground with a fully power up. I move the TDC over the target and press the "Sensor Control Switch-Depress" - but nothing. The traget remains yellow. When I start on air or singel mission the Interrogator works well.

Edited by Maddog_aut

I can't use the interrogator on multiplayer server when I start from ground with a fully power up. I move the TDC over the target and press the "Sensor Control Switch-Depress" - but nothing. The traget remains yellow. When I start on air or singel mission the Interrogator works well.

Did you turn IFF on? I didn't know I had to do that since it defaults to ON in SP mission where you start in the air.

Press the IFF button on the UFC and press ON.

ya, have to make sure you turn on dl and iff. incorporate into startup routine

re NCTR- its aspect dependent, if you're head on or close it doesn't appear to take long at all. Conceptually this makes sense, though I dont' know if its correctly modeled or not

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Anybody knows what the D/L options on the UFC are for? (AIC etc.)

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index

I don't think he mentioned that your have to power up the IFF. It's controlled by the UFC. Just like TACAN and DL, click on the IFF button, then click ON.

:thumbup: Thank you. It works now. Of course I have to turn on the IFF on the HUD control panel.

Thank you Tenkom

picture.php?albumid=1670&pictureid=10638

Edited by Maddog_aut

I really wish this had been mentioned before patch release- as does the friendly F15 that i shot down as a hostile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auto IFF is not done yet, you have to check each target to validate, or get info from a donor.

I really wish this had been mentioned before patch release- as does the friendly F15 that i shot down as a hostile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say there is still more work to be done yet in terms of HUD symbology, or at least, hopefully there is. Giving the “hostile” diamond right off the bat instead of the “unknown” cues would probably go a long way. At the current moment, you dont know if you have interrogated anyone or not, which doesnt bode well for other friendlies