Cougar MFD Worth it with VR?

I won a set of Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs in an eBay auction along with the CH Products HOTAS stuff I really wanted. I play in VR, so actually seeing them would be difficult, but would they still be useful anyway? Does anyone have hands-on experience using the MFDs and VR at the same time?

I'm sure the answer is "Just try it and see" but between several external drives, the VR headset itself, the HOTAS and the usual keyboard and mouse I'm simply out of USB ports and don't have a hub to plug them into.

A good powered USB hub is on my to-buy list, and I even had one shipped halfway to me just this week, but Amazon lost the "two-day Prime" package twice and after five days of waiting and two seperate packages with the same item getting lost twice in three days I just canceled it. (Amazon shipping, as opposed to UPS, FedEx or US Postal Service, is terrible and loses packages on a monthly basis for me.)

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

I use mine in VR. I have them mounted on articulating arms so they can be positioned in space where they are in the virtual cockpits(lets me not be locked in to one config). After some use muscle memory just kicks in and I can reach out and 90+% of the time go to the correct button and for the few misses It is usually only slightly off and you adjust just by touch. VR only caused me to ditch the real screens I had purchased to install into them as they just are not needed inn VR.

Same for mouse/kb usage. I can just reach out while in VR and my hand lands on my mouse 100% of the time. Used muscle memory is strong for mouse/kb usage.

So, it is up to you on whether you want to see if you adapt as I and others have that use controllers while in VR. Certainly a chance you just wont find it easy as some others have.

I use mine in VR. I have them mounted on articulating arms so they can be positioned in space where they are in the virtual cockpits(lets me not be locked in to one config). After some use muscle memory just kicks in and I can reach out and 90+% of the time go to the correct button and for the few misses It is usually only slightly off and you adjust just by touch. VR only caused me to ditch the real screens I had purchased to install into them as they just are not needed inn VR.

Same for mouse/kb usage. I can just reach out while in VR and my hand lands on my mouse 100% of the time. Used muscle memory is strong for mouse/kb usage.

So, it is up to you on whether you want to see if you adapt as I and others have that use controllers while in VR. Certainly a chance you just wont find it easy as some others have.

+1 same experience here, I use 3 MFDs in a Virpil desk mount so they are better positioned than over the table.

I also added a small silicone adhesive pad to every center button, so I can feel "the bump" and oriented myself. I wouldn´t fly if they aren´t connected.

20181125_124425.thumb.jpg.44d460555ce36ffc5bbbe99bfdeaec16.jpg

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I sold mine this week. Didn’t use much after switching to VR. I had it coupled with 8 inch lcd screens and it was a blast with the A10C, much easier to see data than VR. Unfortunately my current setup left nowhere to place them, but if I could have them close to real life placement I would.

• 1 month later...

Would you mind sharing which arms you have these attached to? I’m about to reattach my MFDs and want to do exactly the same thing. I’m concerned that pushing a button will cause the MFD to move away from me slightly. If your arms are rigid and don’t do that, I’d love to know which ones they are.

Thank you for that. No, I don’t have Monstertech. I ordered mounts from Foxx. :)

Foxx material is aluminium 1020 extrusion.

Check your local supplier for accesories for that series.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I have just mounted mine in the same place.

I'm personally keeping them for now, but there are cases I reach for the trackball instead.

But yeah I think that's mostly because I haven't mounted them right yet.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.