AV8 3d printed nozzle lever for warthog throttle

FoxDelta

FoxDelta, quick OT question: Is the gear handle something you made? I would really like one of those!

Vulture

the gear lever, thats not my design, TERRY DACTILE did it and that was the point where i got interested in 3d printing for my hotas

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3591804&postcount=12

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

sorry , not yet, but i can do one for you as soon as i find some time for

Impresionante trabajo FoxDelta. ¿Tienes algún vídeo donde ver el montaje?. Gracias y muy buen trabajo, enhorabuena desde españa.

here i show the connection to the HOTAS, as requested, blue73 was so kind to allow me to use his idea here as well, check out his fantastic 3d printed F18 cockpit

• 5 weeks later...

unfortunately not, but most of it is self explanatory and if you go through the thread u will find pictures of items partially assembled.

• 7 months later...
Fox Delta. This is a great design. I am just about to have a go at printing it. I am wondering what settings you used for printing e.g resolution, infill amount number of walls etc?

thx, i would say pretty much standard: most 0.2 layer height, 2 wall lines, 20 to 99% infill, retraction

most important is orientation and support placement, the housing can be a little bit tricky to print i suggest to place it on its square front, ad some support blockers inside and enable z hop, u may ad some additional supports for the thin parts.

nozzle lever and axis parts i printed in vertical orientation with partially 99% infill (eg at the nozzle levers thinnest position where it leaves the housing)

gcode is at the dropbox as well, so u can have a look at, very printer specific (and not state of the art anymore) but should give u an i dea

Edited by FoxDelta

• 5 months later...

I'm in the process of printing this with my Anycubic S (3?). 

So far I've printed the housing, the ball and a couple of other little bits. 

It's my first time using a 3d printer and I just loaded the Gcode files onto the SD card and popped that in the printer. So far the printed parts look ok (I think) but maybe a little bit different compared to the pics.  

Is printing the Gcode file not the way it's supposed to be done? Should I have used the STL files somehow?

2 hours ago, Bbow said:

Is printing the Gcode file not the way it's supposed to be done? Should I have used the STL files somehow?

It's fine if your printer and filament are exactly the same as that used for the settings in the G-code.
If it's not the same, you might get some difference in quality, etc., but it may still work.

All the support material needs to be removed, after that you can sand it smooth. Be careful around smaller parts so you don't accidentaly remove more than the support

🙂

As for the quality, download a slicer, Cura is a free one, the search for a profile for your machine. Then insert the stl. into Cura and slice it for a g-code. 

There are a lot of good tutorials on Youtube, good luck and enjoy your printer! 

Edited by Lobinjaevel
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody know if it's possible to make the nozzle lever a little bit thicker? I accidentally bumped into mine and it broke, tried to amend the STL file in Fusion 360 to make the lever thicker but I don't know how to do it. Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Did you slice the .stl yourself, or did you print using someone elses g-code? 

If you slice it yourself you can adjust the distance the support has to the housing, to close and it might become part of the housing. 

Other than that, try to be careful with sideclippers and take small pieces, it could take a while 🙂

Good luck! 

Cheers

Edited by Lobinjaevel

• 3 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 1:03 PM, Bog9y said:

Does anybody know if it's possible to make the nozzle lever a little bit thicker? I accidentally bumped into mine and it broke, tried to amend the STL file in Fusion 360 to make the lever thicker but I don't know how to do it. Any ideas?

Hey bog9y - did you find a solution ? I would have gone with more infil, rather than making it thicker. 

im currently printing this as well...

@FoxDelta - this is a legendary design. Thank you for all the work you put into this! 

Edited by Thanatos31

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

Update - First 1 day print of the casing was a disaster  - unfortunately the supports did not come out at all (I used tree supports) and I ended up destroying it. 
what type of supports and printing orientation / direction did you guys use ? 

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

12 hours ago, Thanatos31 said:

Hey bog9y - did you find a solution ? I would have gone with more infil, rather than making it thicker. 

im currently printing this as well...

@FoxDelta - this is a legendary design. Thank you for all the work you put into this! 

Hey dude,  I tried amending the nozzle lever thickness with fusion360 and after several attempts I gave up. I'm not good with fusion360 and found it too frustrating. The next time I broke the nozzle lever I just used a double ended steel screw to connect the lever at the breaking point. So far it's stayed in place without problems, several months now. 

9 hours ago, Thanatos31 said:

Update - First 1 day print of the casing was a disaster  - unfortunately the supports did not come out at all (I used tree supports) and I ended up destroying it. 
what type of supports and printing orientation / direction did you guys use ? 

I think I laid the casing on it's biggest flat side, I can't remember to be honest, it's been a while since I did it. 

EDIT: actually, if you look at my pic above you can see that I have lots of excess PLA stuff on what is the front part of the housing (the opposite side of where I'm holding it). So that was my orientation. 

Edited by Bog9y

vor 53 Minuten schrieb Bog9y:

Hey dude,  I tried amending the nozzle lever thickness with fusion360 and after several attempts I gave up. I'm not good with fusion360 and found it too frustrating. The next time I broke the nozzle lever I just used a double ended steel screw to connect the lever at the breaking point. So far it's stayed in place without problems, several months now. 

I think I laid the casing on it's biggest flat side, I can't remember to be honest, it's been a while since I did it. 

EDIT: actually, if you look at my pic above you can see that I have lots of excess PLA stuff on what is the front part of the housing (the opposite side of where I'm holding it). So that was my orientation. 

hey mate,

looking at your picture i see support material for the nozzle lever at where it connects to the axle. (so standing upright)

try printing this while lying flat, so the material layers cover the most ground in one pass, instead of lots of little layers.

It will be more work cleaning it up and sanding it down, but it should come with much more sturdiness.

Edited by Wisky

4 hours ago, Wisky said:

hey mate,

looking at your picture i see support material for the nozzle lever at where it connects to the axle. (so standing upright)

try printing this while lying flat, so the material layers cover the most ground in one pass, instead of lots of little layers.

It will be more work cleaning it up and sanding it down, but it should come with much more sturdiness.

This was in December and my first 3d print, I've learnt my lesson since. 😉       Hopefully Thanatos reads your suggestion before he starts his print.