On the Various FM Issues

CptSmiley

I have made a bug report about that excessive glide ratio, since there was no response at all from the devs in here. What is the purpose of having a great single unified FM thread, if there is no purposeful communication with the customers?

I have made a bug report about that excessive glide ratio, since there was no response at all from the devs in here. What is the purpose of having a great single unified FM thread, if there is no purposeful communication with the customers?

Sorry for the late reply HWasp,

All the minor issues that still remain in the FM like the ITR/STR and lift-to-drag ratio are in the process of being fixed. Your feedback on the glide ratio was very useful, thanks.

Currently the aircraft is also becoming supersonic in MIL power at most heights by 2-3kph and this is also in our coder FM work list.

To all those that fear that the FM is wrong or in a bad state, please check for the FM comparisons between the simulated aircraft and the real one in threads in this very sub-forum and in our Discord channel. We have presented a lot of data to allow for the correct assessment of the MiG-19P FM status and updates have been released on a timely schedule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know developers hate this question, and I understand that, but please understand my concern with FM, so here is the question:

Any idea how long it might take until it's finalised and ready?

Don't hate me now :smilewink:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

I know developers hate this question, and I understand that, but please understand my concern with FM, so here is the question:

Any idea how long it might take until it's finalised and ready?

Don't hate me now :smilewink:

:D don´t worry, everyone can have doubts.

Let´s see, the FM is currently quite accurate in most parameters with only a few aspects that need to be corrected. The time to finish these depends on our FM coder(Cpt. Smiley) which has been really busy these days. I´m all the time working with him to correct the issues and he has an quite detailed list of all remaining items, so it shouldn't´t be too long.

Regarding the concerns you have in relation to the FM, please feel free to express them here or in our Discord and we can talk about them.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
So what is the FM like now? Can the jet still supercruise? Has the drag/aoa issue that caused the insane sustained turn rate been fixed?

I just got it and it doesn't seem to do that in my very limited flying of it. If anything it seems slow to me and slow to rebuild speed, though I'm not sure if I'm actually using the Afterburners (no visual AB effect). Probably a "me" problem or is there some special "mig-ism" that I'm missing there?

One thing that did impress me so far is that I somehow inadvertently managed to enter a flat spin during a dogfight that I couldn't get out of. The reason it impressed me, is that a) I've seldom entered spins in DCS that weren't hard to get into and absurdly easy to recover, and b) in general its hard to get planes to spin in DCS IMO (F14 being a notable exception).

Glad to hear that its still being worked on though.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The sustained turn rate should be better now than at release, but this is an area that needs some work yet. So far it´s a little difficult to tune this without messing other flight parameters, so our FM coder is slowly but steadily improving turn performance.

I just got it and it doesn't seem to do that in my very limited flying of it. If anything it seems slow to me and slow to rebuild speed, though I'm not sure if I'm actually using the Afterburners (no visual AB effect). Probably a "me" problem or is there some special "mig-ism" that I'm missing there?

One thing that did impress me so far is that I somehow inadvertently managed to enter a flat spin during a dogfight that I couldn't get out of. The reason it impressed me, is that a) I've seldom entered spins in DCS that weren't hard to get into and absurdly easy to recover, and b) in general its hard to get planes to spin in DCS IMO (F14 being a notable exception).

Glad to hear that its still being worked on though.

There is an afterburner activation button, "afterburner enable". Give it a long press while @ full Mil power. There are some green lights in the lower right of the front panel that indicate on/off.

The flat spin from low speed stall is a killer. She has a nasty low speed high AOA turning stall also.

Edited by Paganus
typo

There is an afterburner activation button, "afterburner enable". Give it a long press while @ full Mil power. There are some green lights in the lower right of the front panel that indicate on/off.

Good, figured it was a "me" problem. I've got less than an hour in it at this point.

The flat spin from low speed stall is a killer. She has a nasty low speed high AOA turning stall also.

Good! :thumbup:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

That's great news! I"m tempted to get the module now :)

For 25 bucks its not a bad deal.

• 1 year later...

Hello guys, I'm necro-ing this topic to bring you guys some news on the FM work that is ongoing on the Mig-19.

Major corrections were done to the lift coefficient discontinuity in AoA, that was causing annoying pitch control behavior.  Along with that change, the overall lift coefficient was tuned to match the data we have which brought the turn performance stuff in line better.

The other smaller change was the correction of the CG so that the static margin matches the data we have (which gives more accurate pitch moment feel for the aircraft).

CL before the adjustments

image.png

CL after the adjustments

imgpsh_fullsize_anim.png

Edited by myHelljumper
Replaced the second graph with a more accurate one.
  • Like 8

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

@myHelljumper Guess I'll repost from the Status thread: if I understand those plots correctly - the dashed blue and continuous blue lines are both the coefficient of lift at sea level, while the green/violet/red are for increasing altitude? Shouldn't the two blue lines match then, implying that with these adjustments the coefficient of lift is going to be a bit too high (granted, only ~10%, so it's within DCS-ism limits)? Also, how come it is completely unchanged above 5000m? Am I missing something obvious?

I just asked the dev and he said that the tool used to make this graph only did the tests a 0m and 5000m so only these lines are valid. The 10000m and 15000m are to be ignored here.

This is still work in progress and we already have a closer line right now. We will see if we can get a complete graph sometime in the future.

I replaced the graph you were talking about with the new, closer one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like a fighter 😄

It feels like it doesn't quite have the nose authority of the 21 or F-5, but it can pull its nose and while it still beasts both of those in sustained turn rate, it's easier to stay within the right speed band now. You don't immediately lose all your speed and fall out of the sky like you used to, it'll still punish bad flying but is much more forgiving than it was before. You don't have to dread split-S manoeuvres anymore as (like the 21) it needs surprisingly little room to make them. All in all it's a huge improvement, it feels absolutely wonderful to fly and complements the 21 quite nicely when they're on the same team.

Edited by rossmum
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...