Navigation mission clarification

metzger

When you are about to approach for landing the instructor says to switch the beacons far/near to make sure you are aligned with the runway based on needle motion, but this is not the correct way to do it, instead you should set up course needle to runway heading and fly the thin ndb needle inside the course needle.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, in real life the 2 NDB pattern is more involved, it requires proper altitude, timing and maintaining stable descent between beacons. Not just flip-flopping between near and far.

Another "gotcha" in this mission is that it's quite short and you are landing very heavy with almost full external fuel tanks. Definitely won't work if you try to use the landing parameters from the previous landing tutorial.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

as for the beacons - I did it using description that I got and which I believe is also in the manual, but I know this is kind of simplification which is intentional - I think Larry mentions it in one of the NAV threads.

Fuel - good point. Will fix it. Waiting for you guys to get through all of them and then I’ll do what is necessary so keep the feedback coming!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

No worries, overall I enjoyed the training, very informative and an occasional joke breaks the monotony of learning.

Good K13 origin explanation :)

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here but I can't seem to get any instructions from the instructor after I take off and fly the heading of 120 as indicated by needle when the station is set to 1000mhz.

I end up flying for a long time toward the coast, over some mountains. Am I supposed to follow the longer painted needle or the shorter painted one?

I think I am supposed to get instructions to set the station to 662 and then continue but I never do. I think I'm doing something wrong but not sure. I have the ark needle to far before I take off. Station switch to 640-1300 and tuned to 1000 with the crank.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

If in doubt, check your kneeboard map if you're going in the right direction. Also "mark my position" on kneeboard map is a useful feature.

Normally we should also check the morse code of the station so we're sure we're tuned to the correct one.

Yeah I need to find the binding for mark position on kneeboard and bind that to my hotas. I don't have that many bindings for this model so I should bind kneeboard commands on there too since I fly in VR.

What's weird is I was following along with the navigation video and I never got the instructions to climb to 3000 after take off. It looks like this navigation training mission is a bit different. I wasn't getting any more instructions from the instructor at all.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

There are instructions if you follow a flightplan, but you need to get near waypoints.

Yeah I'm confused on how to follow the needles on the gkn. I'll use the kneeboard and just make sure I'm going in the right direction. Because if I end up following the needle I end up somewhere else.

You have to set up the ARK-5P correctly, that is the whole trick. For mission to progress you need to be at a specific location provided by the needle and the flight plan. You can also figure it out by comparing the map with the World around you. But navigating in this era was no small task...

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

You have to set up the ARK-5P correctly, that is the whole trick. For mission to progress you need to be at a specific location provided by the needle and the flight plan. You can also figure it out by comparing the map with the World around you. But navigating in this era was no small task...
Yeah I figured this was the case after the third try. I am pretty sure i set up the ark 5 correctly but I am probably following the needles incorrectly which is most likely putting me in the wrong area. I'll use the map and kneeboard to make sure I'm heading along the correct route then check what the ark 5 needles show me. This way I could possibly work my way backwards and try to understand what the gkn is showing.

I suppose those are mainly problems to be reported to Razbam. I had the same problem, setting a specific frequency is as hard as on the MiG-15. This is made even more complicated because the frequency indicator is partially hidden in the cockpit... I think it would be nice to see the frequency on the kneeboard, as BSM did for the F-86 and MiG-15. In this mission, another NDB is very close in frequency but somewhere else entirely.

I'm at a loss when it comes to the approach to Krymsk though,

- the briefing panel says I will get instructions on how to align the beacons,

- the instructor says the kneeboard has the instructions,

- the kneeboard has nothing really, apart from the usual map waypoints... (on which the text "follow the..." cannot be read entirely, but I guess it's "follow the river" for waypoint 4).

So I select channel 3 to request the approach, but if I switch between FAR and NEAR, I'm still on the previously set frequencies I suppose, and of course it is not aligned. Or is it because I selected channel 3, due to some pre-set system? From the little information in the user manual it doesn't seem so.

Anyway, visual approach worked, but it wasn't the intended exercice.

EDIT: Maybe I found out something.

The "last" page of the kneeboard is usually this transparent page (see screenshot), but I saw by looking at the mission files that there were two extra pages, and the 2nd one shows the FAR/NEAR frequencies for Krymsk.

More problems due to DCS I imagine. I'll check that next time I get a chance.

Screen_190310_182641.thumb.jpg.9b5a3f567222b9992daae3717f58d249.jpg

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

... Anyway, visual approach worked, but it wasn't the intended exercice.

I made an ADF checklist using a summary of the information provided by Zeus on this Forum, that I hope can clarify how to make use of the FAR / NEAR memories .. take note that once you move the tuning dial, the default frequencies programmed on the Mission Editor are no longer valid.

MiG-19 ADF Navigation Procedures.pdf

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I made an ADF checklist using a summary of the information provided by Zeus on this Forum, that I hope can clarify how to make use of the FAR / NEAR memories .. take note that once you move the tuning dial, the default frequencies programmed on the Mission Editor are no longer valid.

Thanks, Rudel, that helps! The kneeboard pages provided by Baltic Dragon help too, it's just that I missed them the first time because of this "transparent page" bug, I should have known better.

I've reported the problems in the ARK-5 thread (here). I think the lack of audio morse ID code, the problem with the frequency knob, and the approximative nature of the frequency indicator, seem to call for a little improvement of the aircraft kneeboard page ;) Showing those frequencies on top of the pre-set frequencies would be a huge help. With some luck they'll implement that at some point :) (as it is now, this kneeboard page is already very helpful)

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Yeah so for that approach I had a hell of a time setting the radio to far, setting the far frequency and then setting the needle to near and setting the near frequency. Then keep it in far until you have visual on the runway. The needles will align once you are facing the runway. At that point I heard a something ring like my grandma's telephone.