why the F-18C and not the F-18E?

deadlycrawler

I'm curious as to why ED picked the C and not the E variant

...you must be new here! ;)

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Maybe when E model will be uncassified after 5-10 years we will get it:) But im happy to have Hornet too, its an excellent aircraft.

Super Hornet is not so better, compared to our Lot20 Hornet. Actually, Lot20 is last Hornet version, before Super Hornet (Super Hornet is Lot21).

Super Hornet can carry more fuel, but it is also heavier. And it has two more pylons.

But It uses same weapons like Lot20 Hornet, so there are not weapons advantage for Super Hornet.

Edited by DeathAngel1

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

Why we don't get an EA-18? Why don't we get an F-14D? Why don't we get an AH-64 Apache?

Why are we not even satisfied with what we have?

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Why we don't get an EA-18? Why don't we get an F-14D? Why don't we get an AH-64 Apache?

yeah if we had had E, then it will be asked for a C

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Too much of the E/F's data is restricted or classified.

Maybe when E model will be uncassified after 5-10 years we will get it:)

I've debunked that myth some time ago . If you can do a late model fa18c. You can make a fa18e block 1 ( lot 21 -25)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=202373

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

When modelling these aircraft, the issue isn't really one of classification, but of available data. The only US aircraft out there that modelling would be difficult/impossible due to classification, are the B-2 Spirit and perhaps the U-2S or other ELINT platforms.

Perhaps too modern giving an unfair advantage.

That's a non-issue in a simulator, at least to the developers. The goal here is to reproduce aerial warfare as realistically as possible.

It's something that can be taken into account by mission makers, of course. The unfortunate reality of the matter is that a force of MiG-21s is going to be at a distinct disadvantage against Vipers or Eagles in almost all real world engagements.

It's antithetical to ED's module to keep us completely satisfied with what we have. After all, that's how they get us to buy new stuff.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I would have preferred the original F/A-18A. The older and less capable the aircraft the more I love it. But at least the C looks nearly identical to the A. I like the look of legacy Hornets a lot more than Super Hornets.

Same here. Again, it would be great if ED would offer different variants of a module as DLC's. Backdating a C to an A should definitely be much easier than doing it the other way around.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I would have preferred the original F/A-18A. The older and less capable the aircraft the more I love it. But at least the C looks nearly identical to the A. I like the look of legacy Hornets a lot more than Super Hornets.

And I'm perfectly happy we didnt get an a. But a 21st century f18c hornet

It fits in with the "modern" combat but more especially as it would be nice to keep aircraft consistently from eras. Ie a10c, f18c and the planned f16c bl 50 are a few of the timeframes they are representing

Besides The a and early c's had underpowered engines. ( and even 404 engines the hornet t/w still behind the viper

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I was born in 1968 at Mac Dill AFB, Tampa, FL. I grew up with the F-4E being the dominant air superiority fighter flying over my head almost daily. I eagerly read news about new fighters like the F-15, F-16, and the super-new, super hi-tech F/A-18 transitioning from prototype to initial operational capability. While everyone else wants F-22s and F-35s or F-16Cs and F/A-18Es, I want 1950s to 1970s fighters. F-100s, F-105s, and F-106s were operational and displayed at airshows when I was a kid. "Modern" = AIM-120C = easy mode. I want a gunless F-4B/C/D/J in a gunfight with a MiG-17/19/21 with AIM-9B/D/Es and AIM-7Ds/Es. So, an F/A-18A, however primitive, obsolete, and underpowered it may have been, is still a bit too new and capable for my taste, but preferable to an F/A-18C. But the F/A-18C, even in its final form isn't that far from an F/A-18A and therefore much more preferable for me than the F-16C block 50 or F/A-18E.

Everybody has their own preference, mine is centered on the F-4 Phantom with the endpoints of the bell curve starting with WW1 biplanes and ending with the latest operational aircraft. The closer the aircraft performance and tech is to the 1960s F-4, the happier I am. Right now, the F-5E and MiG-21bis are pretty much as the center of what I like with the F-86/MiG-15 being the next best choice for fun/entertainment and the F-15C/Mirage-2000/F/A-18C/MiG-29/Su-27 all being a bit too capable... I generally prefer to fly WW2 fighters over aircraft with AIM-9L and newer weapons and sensors.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was born in 1968 at Mac Dill AFB, Tampa, FL. I grew up with the F-4E being the dominant air superiority fighter flying over my head almost daily. I eagerly read news about new fighters like the F-15, F-16, and the super-new, super hi-tech F/A-18 transitioning from prototype to initial operational capability. While everyone else wants F-22s and F-35s or F-16Cs and F/A-18Es, I want 1950s to 1970s fighters. F-100s, F-105s, and F-106s were operational and displayed at airshows when I was a kid. "Modern" = AIM-120C = easy mode. I want a gunless F-4B/C/D/J in a gunfight with a MiG-17/19/21 with AIM-9B/D/Es and AIM-7Ds/Es. So, an F/A-18A, however primitive, obsolete, and underpowered it may have been, is still a bit too new and capable for my taste, but preferable to an F/A-18C. But the F/A-18C, even in its final form isn't that far from an F/A-18A and therefore much more preferable for me than the F-16C block 50 or F/A-18E.

Everybody has their own preference, mine is centered on the F-4 Phantom with the endpoints of the bell curve starting with WW1 biplanes and ending with the latest operational aircraft. The closer the aircraft performance and tech is to the 1960s F-4, the happier I am. Right now, the F-5E and MiG-21bis are pretty much as the center of what I like with the F-86/MiG-15 being the next best choice for fun/entertainment and the F-15C/Mirage-2000/F/A-18C/MiG-29/Su-27 all being a bit too capable... I generally prefer to fly WW2 fighters over aircraft with AIM-9L and newer weapons and sensors.

there are plans for various other 2nd- 3rd generation aircraft. like Mirage 3CJ A7 COrsair and F4E.

IF those are they aircraft you want, and dont like modern then why proposition older 4th gen aircraft if you dont like them period?

All i said its more consistent to have more current iterations of 4th generation aircraft than 1980s versions because there are other aircraft from post cold war era. That doesn't take away from adding different eras of fighter design

ANd the F/A18C in its final forms isn't that similar. apart from general exterior shape and layout of cockpit. to the F/A18A.

The F/A18C in DCS is much closer to a Block 1 SUper Hornet in capabilities than it is to an F/A18A.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Born the same year. thumbup.gif

Back when I was in AFROTC, we would drive to the guard base in Duluth to watch the F-4Ds all the time. Back in the good ol' Cold War days, they were flying 24/7. Right outside the gate, the taxiway from the hanger to the runway was only like 50 feet away, so we always had a good view.

Questions are a burdon, and answers a prison for one's self.

ANd the F/A18C in its final forms isn't that similar. apart from general exterior shape and layout of cockpit. to the F/A18A.

The F/A18C in DCS is much closer to a Block 1 SUper Hornet in capabilities than it is to an F/A18A.

I'm not familiar with all the stuff they've crammed in (engines, newer TPs, radar, datalink, Night attack stuff, color MFD's) compared to the initial C that was introduced in the late 80's.

But, I guess if you limit it to AIM-7's and don't use some newer stuff like JDAM's, it could somewhat emulate those early C's and thus cover a wider range of scenarios.

Too bad we're not getting the NiteHawk pod, though.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!