Gipsy's Pit - KA-50

Gipsy

Greetings!

This will be my very first post in this great forum, and I am going to show to anyone who is interested the progress of my home pit.

I have owned DCS: KA-50 Blackshark since its release and I am a proud owner of the boxed version of BS1. I never got around to fly it in MP, and I had it stored for quite a while now. since I shared my time with another sim (Falcon).

My pit started as an idea a couple of years, and the idea matured until last year, when I started my work on the left console. Unfortunately it was not as I wanted and it was back to the drawing board for me. For the last couple of months I have been designing my own BS panels and put them to production.

I have completed the front console, with panels, switches, and LED's fully working thanks to this great community.

I really admire this bird, but honestly I find the panels to be ugly and unpractical, so I "westernized" them, which made them a bit more familiar and, why not, appealing. So this wont be a high fidelity pit in no way. Just to make sure that there will no backlash, I do not consider myself to be superior to the engineers who designed the original panels. But it will be my pit and I call the shots :D

So, Lets get down to the interesting stuff.

The structure:

BC9HFxm.jpg

TvUorgt.jpg

Painted and with the Cougar in place:

k0BqpXS.jpg

My panels:

ZWydWyE.jpg

My1SifF.jpg

P2g3l8t.jpg

All of the above:

4rTDhDW.jpg

Testing:

rzZ2NXE.jpg

u20LAmR.jpg

Zxi35R5.jpg

wI6cYLU.jpg

I´ll have to change my green LED's since they are bright AF, but this is about 95% complete.

And that's my short progress until now. I have (re)started to build the left console, but so far it is putting up quite a fight. I am also building the right wall panel in between.

GtL5U0L.jpg

See you soon.

Looking great man. Good luck with this pit! I did it 10 years ago and I have wonderful memories with it.

Bloody hell, was that how long ago BS1 was out! I think it had one of largest switch sequences to start up!

Good luck with the pit Gipsy, i think its a tough one but a great start!!

Looking great man. Good luck with this pit! I did it 10 years ago and I have wonderful memories with it.

@Gotwake Thanks for the suggestion. Since I am using on of these boards, I don't had to worry about resistors, but I may pick out your option.

@BaD CrC Thanks, your contributions in this forum, and regarding your pit were/are awesome.

@Mr_Burns Thanks for the support man.

@Gotwake Thanks for the suggestion. Since I am using on of these boards, I don't had to worry about resistors, but I may pick out your option.

@BaD CrC Thanks, your contributions in this forum, and regarding your pit were/are awesome.

@Mr_Burns Thanks for the support man.

That board looks pretty cool, i am not familiar with it, but if the prosim software allows you to change the current going to each led then there is no need for the resistors... can't wait to see the further progress

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Great to see you working on that bird! I am also building a KA50 cockpit. Just finished the structure. Maybe we could join forces on designing the panels and their construction. Already finished the panels on left console which you are building the basis for. Also designed the COM1 frequency slector. with wirking dials. I'll PM you!

Great to see you working on that bird! I am also building a KA50 cockpit. Just finished the structure. Maybe we could join forces on designing the panels and their construction. Already finished the panels on left console which you are building the basis for. Also designed the COM1 frequency slector. with wirking dials. I'll PM you!

Thanks for the message, I've replied already.

So not a lot going on for now, in the past few I have made some progress with the structure for the right console and the rear right console. Unfortunately I had a home incident where my right was punctured by a piece of falling glass and it left me with 3 stitches. Nothing major of course but it left me with a couple of weeks without being able to do anything.

I hope that I'll have these 2 consoles ready and painted by the end of this month, and that the electric wiring and programming will be done by 15th of April. Then I'll move on.

Here is pic made in Sketchup with some consoles put together.

zE6zapS.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey simmers,

So, I have been a bit quiet since I have been busy in my professional life, but I have been making some progress lately.

I have finished the structure for the Rear Left Console and Left Console:

YM0aIEEl.jpg

I have received my Left Console panels also:

d0QYRnCl.jpg

HH2wfVwl.jpg

Also, been messing around with the weapons control panel's buttons, and I will making a kind of personalized versions of them.

Mb5O8vzl.jpg

I had a deadline in the previous post of mine, which stated that by now I would have the left console all wrapped up. I botched this deadline since I altered my work plan. I started work on other Consoles at the same time to get an overview of the whole cockpit more easily.

I haven't taken any picture but I have started on the Right Console, the Base of the cockpit and the general structure.

Just a final pic of a panel WIP.

2ieXsZrl.jpg

Very nice project i will fallow this.Where do you buy from panels and switches?

Thanks!The panels are drawn by me, personalized according to my needs and liking, and then produced here in a shop nearby. They are all in acrylic.

The switches, knobs etc, are bought mostly on ebay. Just regular stuff easily available to all.

I do not intend on making a high fidelity cockpit with real switches.

Hey all,

So I've been busy with my button prototypes, and I have accomplished something. :D

The buttons

wh95j5ml.jpg

The montage behind the panel

fYPT2Hpl.jpg

XpDgTVZl.jpg

and testing

GL6jCJjl.jpg

So it's kind of a redneck approach to lighted buttons, but still, I am happy with the results. There are still some improvements to be made, namely on the light bleeding, but it does not bleed to the letters as clear as it looks in the picture above. It doesn't look as bad as in the picture.

But overall I liked this solution.

Cheers