Startup Realism option - cockpit config

philstyle

I've love for a realism/difficulty option that allowed the sim to throw a few (random) switches/ controls into a NON-default state for COLD SPAWN aircraft.

This would force the pilot (if using that difficulty option) to go through a proper pre-start check in order to confirm the position of all the relevant controls etc..

We get given these fantastic full start-up videos by ED, and complex manuals with detailed check-regimes with each module, however due to the fact that most aircraft start with large numebrs of predictably set controls at spawn, we can considerably short cut the checks, or abandon them almost altogether.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

I like this idea. Other approach would be to save the state of switches, fuel and maybe other systems from your last flight. I know some paid aircraft in X-plane do this, so It´s important to follow proper preflight and shutdown checklists.

Pretty good idea

DCS Modules Owned:A-10C, FC3, Yak-52, F/A-18C, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-5E, M-2000C, L-39, Hawk T.1A, C-101EB/CC, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, BF-109K4, FW-190D9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, KA-50, F-86, DCS:CA, WWII assets, F-14A/A+/B

DCS Terrains Owned: All

PLEASE MAKE UH-60L and AH-64D!!! :pilotfly:

Well the correct thing to do would be for that option to leave all your switch positions where you left them, not just at random.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I think this would be a good idea, too. The Harrier at one early point seemed to do this, as I would occasionally encounter switches that weren't where I expected.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, this would be great. I don't even check all the controls and switches. It's completely redundant. This would make the start up, for warbirds particularly, much more dynamic. It should only be for small things though.

I'd like to see some dynamics on the engine quality as well. Starting up the warbirds is far too easy. I could mute DCS and blindfold myself, and still consistently start up the carbureted warbirds every time.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Yeah I like this idea - either randomised, user selected and/or 'how you left it'

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Yeah I like this idea - either randomised, user selected and/or 'how you left it'
“How I left it” I like that one a lot.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

I think that you guys do not understand one thing: If you want your cockpit not to be in order means you imply your crew chiefs not doing their work properly because it is THEIR responsibility to visually check the cockpit after each flight and get everything in the default state.

Remember, it's the crew chief who owns the plane - the pilot is merely borrowing it!

Sent via mobile phone using Tapatalk

I think that you guys do not understand one thing: If you want your cockpit not to be in order means you imply your crew chiefs not doing their work properly because it is THEIR responsibility to visually check the cockpit after each flight and get everything in the default state.

Remember, it's the crew chief who owns the plane - the pilot is merely borrowing it!

Sent via mobile phone using Tapatalk

Ya, this is true. Crew chiefs prepare the cockpit prior to flight. Those switches better be in the right position or you're getting written up.