F/A-18D USMC Night attack

Ironwulf

That would be great! Would also love to see ED do a Rhino after the Viper!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

I think given the more sensitive nature of the capabilities of the superhornet, a D would be more likely than an E or F, and really the 3D model etc wouldn’t change that much cockpit and sensors would be similar if not the same as the C, and it’d tie into the LANTIRN pod that they’ve said they’re going to do (as they are used by night attack hornets)

• 2 weeks later...

I would think that ED could develop a Delta much much faster than any other aircraft. Flight characteristics between the C and D are nearly identical. Systems are identical. They would just have to develop the 3d model (fastest aspect of development), hook in the backseat systems with the current systems modeling they've already developed, add multicrew support, and take away ~600 lbs max fuel.

I see everyone saying they'd rather have a Rhino. I'd rather have a 18D in six months than a 18F in three years.

+1 to D. ED, compete with HB on the multicrew front!

• 2 weeks later...
I think given the more sensitive nature of the capabilities of the superhornet, a D would be more likely than an E or F, and really the 3D model etc wouldn’t change that much cockpit and sensors would be similar if not the same as the C, and it’d tie into the LANTIRN pod that they’ve said they’re going to do (as they are used by night attack hornets)

the Super Hornet isn't really more sensitive than late Lot legacy Hornets with Post production upgrades like we have in DCS.

At least not Block 1's ( lot 21-25), and id even say maybe a early block 2 ( Lot 26) would be possible because due to developmental delays AN/APG79 AESA radar wasnt available until at least the block 30 production, and Lot26 is covered in the Flight manual

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=202373

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

+1 for F/A-18D and multi crew.

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Well from what I read it was initially 2 per AW squadron.Nonetheless, it’s not ATARS that defines it as an AW variant, from what I have read, as there are obviously many more without it, and it requires deletion of the gun. From what I can see ATARS is used as recce/BDA, so it’s not needed in every fighter.

I would think that ED could develop a Delta much much faster than any other aircraft. Flight characteristics between the C and D are nearly identical. Systems are identical. They would just have to develop the 3d model (fastest aspect of development), hook in the backseat systems with the current systems modeling they've already developed, add multicrew support, and take away ~600 lbs max fuel.

I see everyone saying they'd rather have a Rhino. I'd rather have a 18D in six months than a 18F in three years.

haha well I would definitely not have a problem with the D. I think it would be very wise eventually to see the D and the F. The D in the short term and the F after a full build up. Both will fit in DCS nicely!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

If I could add my two cents I'd have to agree with the people suggesting the F/A-18F. The D would just be more of the same but with multi crew, if the only added feature is the ability to fly with an extra person than I'd rather ED focus on something "new". I'd gladly wait another 10 years for a Super Hornet than get a D model tomorrow. Just my personal opinion.

-if the initial cockpit wasnt coded for multi-crew support it's not as easy as plugging in a rear cockpit.

-C and D Flight dynamics are 98% identical, however there is a CoG/Weight Shift due to the 2nd Cockpit/Fuel Swap and elongated canopy.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

-if the initial cockpit wasnt coded for multi-crew support it's not as easy as plugging in a rear cockpit.

-C and D Flight dynamics are 98% identical, however there is a CoG/Weight Shift due to the 2nd Cockpit/Fuel Swap and elongated canopy.

Oh yeah, without a doubt it wouldn't be as simple as plug and play, but they wouldn't have to develop hardly anything from scratch except the multicrew code. Flight model might require a couple of tweaks, but that really would only be minor adjustments which could be worked over time.

Would be significantly faster development than a new aircraft.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I doubt they would even be able to manage a block 2 rhino. If we did get an E/F I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s an even earlier representation then the current jet we have, with less bells and whistles.

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

People wouldnt all be happy with being charged for a D Model considering it's 99% Identical to the C Model just w/ rear seat.

As for Super Hornets, Block II / III will not happen anytime soon, Block I is also a big Question Mark, and if you want to go by data available,

You could port about 86% of the systems from the Late lot Charlie to the -E, but it would be a Block I LRIP Model.

So other than Larger Airframe, Fuel, Engines, Outboard Pylons and some FCS Improvements, Removal of all A2G Rockets.

It's essentially the same aircraft, with about 90% Cockpit Commonality between the Late Lot 20 and the LRIP Cockpits.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

It's not called Night Attack, that's a particular variant of Harrier (the one in DCS). It's simply an F/A-18D with ATARS.

What makes an F/A-18D All Weather - as denoted in squadron designations VMFA(AW)-xxx - is the two-crew-member capability to aviate and employ sensors and weapons. The two crew conducting the air war not only ffrom a striker standpoint but as a coordinating element - as a FAC-A or TAC-A - is the real expanded capability.

That phrase 'night attack' in the referenced Wikipedia article is erroneous.

It should also be noted that the ATARS package deletes the gun. The ATARS datalink pod also ties up the centerline station.

To be clear, this system ties in Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) and imagery for reconnaissance - it does not impart any kind of unique night capability that the standard legacy Hornet D does not already possess.

Shame on you for bringing facts into a Wikipedia wishlist thread ;)

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

You won't be able to get the systems and the declassified info for awhile. You'd have to wait for the US to stop using it. They haven't even released info for the F-14D is what I hear (IN reply to earlier post asking for an F/A-18F before an F/A-18D)

People wouldnt all be happy with being charged for a D Model considering it's 99% Identical to the C Model just w/ rear seat.

As for Super Hornets, Block II / III will not happen anytime soon, Block I is also a big Question Mark, and if you want to go by data available,

You could port about 86% of the systems from the Late lot Charlie to the -E, but it would be a Block I LRIP Model.

Yeah I don’t understand wanting the D, it’s like lets get the exact same jet but with even SHORTER legs lol

If they could do a superbug...I would vote for an F, for many of the reasons outlined in this thread...but I wouldn’t ever ask for a two seat legacy :huh:

If it was a LRIP example it wouldn’t have 9x or JHMCS either right? Pretty sure those are both block 2 standard...

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

So other than Larger Airframe, Fuel, Engines, Outboard Pylons and some FCS Improvements, Removal of all A2G Rockets.

It's essentially the same aircraft, with about 90% Cockpit Commonality between the Late Lot 20 and the LRIP Cockpits.

Yea and thats a positive thing. Id totally buy a F/A18E/F ( particularly F) even if its a block 1. I really hate those archaic green DDI's. LOt 25 of block 1 gets LCD DDI's. :D

And apart from a new mission computer, and new MPCD, the Lot 26 ( first block 2) isnt really differnet from a Lot 25. Block 2 super hornets didnt get thier AESA radars until block 30.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Yeah I don’t understand wanting the D, it’s like lets get the exact same jet but with even SHORTER legs lol

If they could do a superbug...I would vote for an F, for many of the reasons outlined in this thread...but I wouldn’t ever ask for a two seat legacy :huh:

If it was a LRIP example it wouldn’t have 9x or JHMCS either right? Pretty sure those are both block 2 standard...

no Aim9x and JHMCS was introduced with lot 23 from what i read.

Although if it was a block 1 Superhornet id think most would want a Lot 25 ( the last lot of the block 1 series), those CRT's are finally discarded for fully colour capable LCD based DDI's. (although they display generally formatting in WHite, instead of green, Cursor, Unidentified contacts are yellow, friendlies white, enemies red.

You won't be able to get the systems and the declassified info for awhile. You'd have to wait for the US to stop using it. They haven't even released info for the F-14D is what I hear (IN reply to earlier post asking for an F/A-18F before an F/A-18D)

When ED started Hornet development it was still in active duty US navy service. IT wasnt until end of 2018 that the last Hornet squadron went out of active duty service, and even then these Hornets were passed down to USMC units, and are still in service in that branch. So for ED to develop a module they dont have to be retired from military service.

naa it all depends on which version. I did a thread to disprove the meme that Super Hornets are to classified compared to a Late lot Legacy with post production features.

unfortunately thanks to mudslinging instigated by Trev it was shut down

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

I do think a lot of people would happily pay for the D model. If anything offer it as a lower priced add-on. But I would happily pay full price.

I sure would love to see a Block I F Model as well! I'm sure everyone would grab that just like they did the Hornet!

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

I would rather they did an F model Rhino than a D model legacy hornet. While a Growler would be cool I don’t know that the modelling of radar is complex enough in DCS to warrant it (beyond issues of things being classified).

Really enjoying DCS’s current naval aviation bent!