Zoom and the X56

Cab

Does anyone with the X56 have issues binding the Zoom View to either the upper or lower thumb rotary dials? Both of mine experience jittering about half the time that I use them. I am wondering if this is normal (which would be disappointing), or if it is something that would warrant an RMA.

Thanks

It is normal . It can be fixed , albeit with some effort . What you are looking for is a hystersis filter . This link will give a general idea of what is required .

You may find a plug-and-play programming solution on a dedicated Saitek hardware forum .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 2 weeks later...

Making a dead zone has helped, but I still get periodic jittering.

The recommendation about the hystersis filter will require a little more research and education on my part. So far I have no idea what all that means.

That's been normal for me on the x55 as well for many years.

I usually make an axis curve in the game that zooms using the top or bottom half of the axis to avoid using the middle.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

I use the metal scroll wheel (emulating the mouse in DCS) for zoom and it is brilliant.

How do you set that up? When I map that wheel to Zoom, each click only zooms a tiny increment. When I rotate the wheel and stop it between clicks the zoom works, but that is too fine of a movement in the heat of battle and I often mess it up.

How do you set that up? When I map that wheel to Zoom, each click only zooms a tiny increment. When I rotate the wheel and stop it between clicks the zoom works, but that is too fine of a movement in the heat of battle and I often mess it up.

It's been a while since I actually mapped it, but I think this is how to do it:

Make sure that, in your DCS controls assignments, your mouse scroll wheel is setup to zoom. Use "Axis Commands" to make sure. Then, launch the X-55 profiling software. Select the scroll wheel on the throttle within the profiler. I think you right click (maybe left click?) in order to bring up the options for the wheel. Then, select the option that is something like "Emulate Mouse" or "insert/record mouse command." I think there might also be an actual button icon that looks like a mouse (like this):

[ATTACH]206769[/ATTACH]

At that point, the scroll wheel on your throttle and the scroll wheel on your mouse work exactly the same. So, in the game, the scroll wheel on the throttle works like you'd want/expect. Then, make sure you save the profile and you will have to have that profile launched every time you fly.

Sorry for the imprecise instructions. I'm not at my flying PC.

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

It's been a while since I actually mapped it, but I think this is how to do it:

Make sure that, in your DCS controls assignments, your mouse scroll wheel is setup to zoom. Use "Axis Commands" to make sure. Then, launch the X-55 profiling software. Select the scroll wheel on the throttle within the profiler. I think you right click (maybe left click?) in order to bring up the options for the wheel. Then, select the option that is something like "Emulate Mouse" or "insert/record mouse command." I think there might also be an actual button icon that looks like a mouse (like this):

[ATTACH]206769[/ATTACH]

At that point, the scroll wheel on your throttle and the scroll wheel on your mouse work exactly the same. So, in the game, the scroll wheel on the throttle works like you'd want/expect. Then, make sure you save the profile and you will have to have that profile launched every time you fly.

Sorry for the imprecise instructions. I'm not at my flying PC.

I tried your advice and emulated the mouse scroll wheel but that only worked in external views.

However, I played around with the Logitech software and discovered something that worked for me (See the picture below). For Scroll FWD I assigned the key stroke for zoom in, "*", and gave it a Quantize Time of .2 secs. For Scroll BCK I assigned the key stroke for zoom out, "/", and also gave it a Quantized Time of .2 secs. This gave me extremely satisfactory results.

2027649143_X56HOTASZoomIn.png.5da4d5f948dd216d3b979301adf7d63d.png

• Thanks 1

Glad it worked! You've probably gotten the wrong "zoom" command selected in dcs on your mouse wheel. Did you select "cockpit zoom" for that axis?

I may be missing something but I don't see any Zoom Views that specify the cockpit. If that is the case, it will certainly make it easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, Cab! Here's what you want for the scroll wheel for zoom:

[ATTACH]207526[/ATTACH]

Once you have your mouse wheel axis assigned to the "Camera Zoom" option in the AXIS menu, you can just have your X-56 scroll wheel emulate without any advanced commands in the HUD software. Works like a charm and will operate all zoom in the game (both in and out of the cockpit).

Edited by wilbur81

I may be missing something but I don't see any Zoom Views that specify the cockpit. If that is the case, it will certainly make it easier.
It's the very last Axis in the list. I think it's called Zoom View. It doesn't say 'cockpit', but it's just for the cockpit..

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

It's the very last Axis in the list. I think it's called Zoom View. It doesn't say 'cockpit', but it's just for the cockpit..

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

See my post #16 above.

Sorry for the delay, Cab! Here's what you want for the scroll wheel for zoom:

[ATTACH]207526[/ATTACH]

Once you have your mouse wheel axis assigned to the "Camera Zoom" option in the AXIS menu, you can just have your X-56 scroll wheel emulate without any advanced commands in the HUD software. Works like a charm and will operate all zoom in the game (both in and out of the cockpit).

No worries on the delay, and I appreciate you getting back to clarify.

I did try again but it still only works when outside the cockpit. For me, the mouse wheel Zoom itself works that way, too. Outside the cockpit the mouse wheel Zoom works as expected; inside the cockpit it doesn't work at all.

I have no idea what the difference is between yours and mine, but since I got it done via a different method, I will not complain.

Thanks again.

No worries on the delay, and I appreciate you getting back to clarify.

I did try again but it still only works when outside the cockpit. For me, the mouse wheel Zoom itself works that way, too. Outside the cockpit the mouse wheel Zoom works as expected; inside the cockpit it doesn't work at all.

I have no idea what the difference is between yours and mine, but since I got it done via a different method, I will not complain.

Thanks again.

Hmmm, strange... are you assigning under the specific plane's axis commands that you fly or under general settings? Glad you found a satisfactory solution either way. :thumbup:

• 5 months later...
Who's has make it work can send me the profile for x56? I'm having the jettering aswell in X56 when zooming :/ send me in private please if possible

I didn't see an option to add an attachment in the PM, so I am posting my X56 profile here.

Also, the original file has a .pr0 extension, but that is not a valid extension for uploading. Accordingly, I changed it to .lua for this upload, so you will have to change it back to .pr0 before you install it.

Hopefully this works for you. Let me know if it doesn't and we will try something else.

Happy flying

DCS X56 - Copy.lua

• 2 weeks later...