land base ILS system

salling772

This version of the Hornet doesnt use land based ILS only carrier ICLS. There is a mod in the user downloads section that adds ICLS to land bases. Haven't tried it yet.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

U.S. military F/A18C and E models are not used for land Airport Blind Landing System. This fatal shortcoming has always existed. It results in the aircraft being unable to find a suitable airport to land in bad weather. But in the mini update long ago, the ED team considered that ACLS could be set up at land airports. Sacrifice a little authenticity to meet the needs of players who don't like landing at sea. ACLS relies on data link to make the aircraft land automatically. Smart and Easy than ILS
There is also the option of learning to do the IFR TACAN approach to airfield plate minimums. Which also isnt that difficult after you learn the numbers. Similiar to civilian VOR IFR approach.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

1 - There's no system currently called Airport Blind Landing System anywhere in the world.

1 - If it was fatal, literally all the jets would have been crashed and everyone would be dead.

1 - Learn about TACAN's how they work, how ATC works, and how non-precision approaches work. 1 - You don't always need a glideslope all the way to the ground, in fact, it's rare that meteorology is so jacked up that these pilots would get themselves in to that situation to begin with. Only the airlines really need that because they have to go to every length possible to not cancel.Mil air cancels all the time. Planning and training takes care of the rest.

Fatal. Sheesh.

I'm sorry! My fault

1 - There's no system currently called Airport Blind Landing System anywhere in the world.

1 - If it was fatal, literally all the jets would have been crashed and everyone would be dead.

1 - Learn about TACAN's how they work, how ATC works, and how non-precision approaches work. 1 - You don't always need a glideslope all the way to the ground, in fact, it's rare that meteorology is so jacked up that these pilots would get themselves in to that situation to begin with. Only the airlines really need that because they have to go to every length possible to not cancel.Mil air cancels all the time. Planning and training takes care of the rest.

Fatal. Sheesh.

I have deleted it because of the improper use of the word. I'm sorry

C.W. Lemoine has an interesting video about getting struck by lightning while flying with VFA-204, in which he briefly talks through the lack of ILS equipment in the hornet and shows footage of a PAR approach.

The whole video is pretty interesting to watch and listen to, but he specifically talks about approaches at roughly the 10:30 mark.

There is a mod that I have used that places ILS landing systems on the airports in the Caucuses. I have used it.

It does allow you to fly an accurate ILS landing on land based airports within the Caucuses.

It is called "Caucasus and NTTR ICLS Mod".

I got it off the downloads section of the DCS web site. Used it one time. Have never had the need to fly ILS in bad weather. We always end up on Carrier in Case III. But it does work.

Only problem I have with it or any other mod, as a mod, you have to keep reinstalling it every update.

There is a mod that I have used that places ILS landing systems on the airports in the Caucuses. I have used it.

It does allow you to fly an accurate ILS landing on land based airports within the Caucuses.

It is called "Caucasus and NTTR ICLS Mod".

I got it off the downloads section of the DCS web site. Used it one time. Have never had the need to fly ILS in bad weather. We always end up on Carrier in Case III. But it does work.

Only problem I have with it or any other mod, as a mod, you have to keep reinstalling it every update.

Please read threads before posting. I posted the link for the mod here already.

Regarding having to reinstall you should look into using OvGME for your mods. Easy to enable and disable pre and post update.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Please read threads before posting. I posted the link for the mod here already.

Regarding having to reinstall you should look into using OvGME for your mods. Easy to enable and disable pre and post update.

And I made that particular mod with OVGME in mind, the file structure is set up already.

And I made that particular mod with OVGME in mind, the file structure is set up already.
And many thanks for that! Once you wrap your head around how it works it's the only way to use mods.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Considering that the F/A-18C that is marketed to us is not labeled at "USN version of" and in fact it states "Operated by several nations" and comes with various nations' liveries; I would state my expectation that the capabilities of those nations that operate the -18C - including armament and other capabilities - should be provided.

Authenticity could be ensured by tying the ILS capability to the livery if one wants to be absolutely anal.

Marine Corps don't fly on boats - Don't tell me they don't have ILS. Same for the Aussies, Canadians, Swiss, et al.

And for goodness' sake the approach limits for a non-precision approach such as a TACAN are ridiculously high when compared to a precision approach such as ILS.

Not everyone's world revolves around the USN

Considering that the F/A-18C that is marketed to us is not labeled at "USN version of" and in fact it states "Operated by several nations" and comes with various nations' liveries; I would state my expectation that the capabilities of those nations that operate the -18C - including armament and other capabilities - should be provided.

Authenticity could be ensured by tying the ILS capability to the livery if one wants to be absolutely anal.

Marine Corps don't fly on boats - Don't tell me they don't have ILS. Same for the Aussies, Canadians, Swiss, et al.

And for goodness' sake the approach limits for a non-precision approach such as a TACAN are ridiculously high when compared to a precision approach such as ILS.

USMC hornets operate on Navy carriers. Also using the mod for ILS is good enough for my CF-188 livery. If they modelled systems considering what every countries export model has equipped it would be a bit nutty on EDs end.

Example being the fact that the RCAF doesn't even operate the charlie hornet and is an upgraded version of the alpha bug with a sniper pod.

Also they've said a million times that we are using the 2005 US Navy/USMC model and the additional liveries are merely a bonus. This model and lot number is literally that. Do your homework bud!

Edited by Darcwaynard
Double quote

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

USMC hornets operate on Navy carriers.

Most USMC Hornet pilots will never see the deck of a carrier after achieving their quals. They operate either deployed or from a USMC Air Station. They can operate from carriers but my understanding is that's not the norm.

Also they've said a million times that we are using the 2005 US Navy/USMC model and the additional liveries are merely a bonus. This model and lot number is literally that. Do your homework bud!

It's fine for you to say they're said a million times, but the advertising is what should be the fundamental reference. If ED wishes to say what you say they do, it should be stated up front in their product listings wherever they appear. Kindly refer to https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/hornet/ - in fact 2 of the 3 first Hornet images on that pitch page are Canadian CF-188s.

I'll grant you that Canada doesn't operate Cs so let's keep it simple and limit ourselves to that model to be fair to ED. A bit of research will show you that -18Cs were/are used by: USN, USMC, Finland, Kuwait and Switzerland. The last 4 likely have ILS capability.

Also, the point isn't to rely on a mod to meet the expected performance.

As far as I'm concerned, ED should either state that it's selling the USN version of the C with various liveries or simply model the ILS - which is easy

As to your closing comment, it adds nothing to the discussion and you might wish to learn to not talk like an internet troll as it only reduces people's opinions of you :smilewink:

Aloha

Most USMC Hornet pilots will never see the deck of a carrier after achieving their quals. They operate either deployed or from a USMC Air Station. They can operate from carriers but my understanding is that's not the norm.

Except 251, 312, 115, 232, 323, all routinely did CVW deployments in the past 2 decades.

It's fine for you to say they're said a million times, but the advertising is what should be the fundamental reference. If ED wishes to say what you say they do, it should be stated up front in their product listings wherever they appear. Kindly refer to https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/hornet/ - in fact 2 of the 3 first Hornet images on that pitch page are Canadian CF-188s.

I'll grant you that Canada doesn't operate Cs so let's keep it simple and limit ourselves to that model to be fair to ED. A bit of research will show you that -18Cs were/are used by: USN, USMC, Finland, Kuwait and Switzerland. The last 4 likely have ILS capability.

As far as I'm concerned, ED should either state that it's selling the USN version of the C with various liveries or simply model the ILS - which is easy

As to your closing comment, it adds nothing to the discussion and you might wish to learn to not talk like an internet troll as it only reduces people's opinions of you :smilewink:

Aloha

Ok cool sorry dude but they do advertise it as the F-18C LOT 20 which = what we have in the sim. Not sure what further griping is going to achieve? I hate trolls, I'm just frustrated with forum posts about people complaining about things that could have been resolved by clicking on the hornet mini updates thread and reading it from the beginning. Ok peace.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Except 251, 312, 115, 232, 323, all routinely did CVW deployments in the past 2 decades.
+1 The dude is making a load of assumptions based on?......

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aloha

I do agree with you they should definitely add "Lot 20" to the store page ad to prevent this sort of thing from happening again. Super wasteful of our time yes?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dude you make a lot of assumptions. Are you a Marine Corps Aviator? Know any? How about Aussie, Swiss, Canadian Hornet drivers? The fact is fighters are still mostly flown by looking out the window. American fighter pilots have command driven weather minimums based on experience levels that are typically much higher than charted mins. It’s rare that the weather is so bad that an ILS is really needed anyway. A tacan approach will get you in with a pretty low ceiling. When the weather is (even marginally) good, any self respecting fighter pilot will choose to fly a (visual) overhead vice an instrument approach. Mostly because it looks cool but also because it’s just a more efficient way to recover combat aircraft. I don’t claim to know what equipment non US operators have on their aircraft but I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of operators do without ILS.

Military aviators often pass a common nugget of wisdom to the newer guys: Never pass up an opportunity to shut the f@!& up. ;)

In Jetstream tv show, when they flew to LAX show their HUD with ILS...
Cf-188s

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Boom. And they have that system vice the ICLS because the Canadians will never go to the boat ever.

See kids, there's only enough room for so many antennae and so many LRU's and the Lot 20 Hornet is made for carrier work and the Marine Corps is part of the Navy and that's just how it goes.

Can this stupid thread please get the MasterLock treatment?

not until i post this, the mens department. lol