Too weathered

ivo

So what you're suggesting is an F-14B that came from the factory line. :D And, as I see it, many 3rd parties are shifting to this trend of dirtiness because you're quite frankly not going to get your hands on a very clean aircraft from the production lines. (Not even our AV-8B will survive it with the impending cockpit update)

Well quite frankly I AM getting my hands on a very clean DCS aircraft from the production lines....

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302617/

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

It's quite easy to underestimate what the sea and salt air does to carrier aircraft.

We have many SME's who have worked many hours on these aircraft and the feeling from them thus far is that this is indeed representative of a real F-14 in fleet service.

We have toned down some weathering due to them pointing out that the text would be touched up etc.

While I certainly understand the will to have a pristine aircraft (and I kinda want that as well) we feel it wouldn't be representative of an F-14 in actual fleet use.

We have many SME's who have worked many hours on these aircraft and the feeling from them thus far is that this is indeed representative of a real F-14 in fleet service.

This is how I feel as well. There are certain pictures of this aircraft's cockpit showing that type of condition. It is more logical to me to rather have re-created what is already there instead of trying to assume the clean paint.

I wonder if there were electrical issues behind those corroded panels.

That’s not corrosion. We definitely preferred functioning aircraft over aesthetics, but corrosion was never allowed. Most of the time what people see as corrosion is actually a chemical called Amlguard which was used as a corrosion preventative that turned brown with age. Civilian guys who own planes might use ACF-50 which is pretty similar. I used it on my Warrior.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

I wonder if there were electrical issues behind those corroded panels.

That’s not corrosion. We definitely preferred functioning aircraft over aesthetics, but corrosion was never allowed. Most of the time what people see as corrosion is actually a chemical called Amlguard which was used as a corrosion preventative that turned brown with age. Civilian guys who own planes might use ACF-50 which is pretty similar. I used it on my Warrior.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

I've always preferred the look of weathered cockpits. I find the ones that don't look weathered, feels more artificial to me, even look a bit plastic.

This. I love a nicely weathered/even slightly dirty cockpit.

When I first got the A-10C, I thought the cockpit was too clean, and searched for this: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1562558/ to get that real immersion into a combat zone.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is obviously a controversial subject and a simple matter of personal preference, so we should not expect any conclusion either way. I'd say this is ripe enough to be closed ;)

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

INDEED! FAR too much weathered! :cry:

This has prevented me from buying it.

That is what’s preventing you from buying it?! Please.:doh:

I don’t quite understand this obsession of making utterly worn-out, almost damaged cockpits.

Making worn out cockpits isn’t an obsession. As has been stated in many threads already, they’re simulating an aircraft that’s been in active service for 20+ years, of course it’s not going to look factory new. HB is literally striving for accuracy in representing an older cockpit. From personal experience and what HB have shown so far they’ve done a remarkable job.

At some stage, ALL planes and cockpits were new and in pristine condition.

Yes, but again they’re not simulating a new plane!

I love a nicely weathered/even slightly dirty cockpit.

When I first got the A-10C, I thought the cockpit was too clean, and searched for this: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1562558/ to get that real immersion into a combat zone.

To be fair, the A-10 that ED simulates is fresh from its C upgrade. I was on a team that worked the A to C conversion, when we sent the planes back to their squadrons the cockpits did look brand new...because they were.:)

Of course there’s nothing wrong with modding a DCS pit to one’s desired level of wear.

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

I had the opportunity to take a closer look at a Eurofighter/Typhoon cockpit at an airshow a couple of years ago. According to the pilot the A/C had been about 5 years old at that time. Cockpit looked pretty beat up, lots of paint chipping around certain areas. When I asked about it he told me it wasn't only the flying time that's taking a toll on the surfaces but all the hours of maintenance, repairs, checks, etc...

There’s also the fact that weathering helps you “buy” what you’re seeing. Look at some of the complaints of the Christien Eagle, it’s pristine which makes it look flat and “fake”.

Weathering creates visual depth and separation, it “sells” the perception that you’re looking at a real object, not a rendered 2d image.It’s part of why DCS looks better than say Prepar3D or FSX. The Dirt layer in the texture gives the impression of depth on what is a flat bitmap wrapped on a smooth shape. Just think about how goofy and out of place the Chrome Cat looked in DCS.

Weathering creates visual depth and separation, it “sells” the perception that you’re looking at a real object, not a rendered 2d image.It’s part of why DCS looks better than say Prepar3D or FSX. The Dirt layer in the texture gives the impression of depth on what is a flat bitmap wrapped on a smooth shape. Just think about how goofy and out of place the Chrome Cat looked in DCS.

Couldn't have said it any better. Hop in the A-10C, move your head forward, turn it around and pull the stick back. Zoom in on just how basic those albedo textures are being diffused on it and you will quickly want to un-see it.

I work on 30 years+ f-18, and the weathering is spot on. We don't waist time painting or doing cosmetic work. All is done so that it is usable. The airframe is painted as part of the corrosion control program. Sometime all, sometime patching. The cockpit is spot painted to coverup scratch that could affect night vision.

I'm glad they went with a weathered cockpit for the F-14, clean cockpits just don't look right to me, especially in the middle of a war zone.

One of the reasons I'm glad they are updating the A-10 cockpit is because it was way too clean and didnt look correct compared to all the actual videos I've seen of it in combat.

I'm sure someone will make a "clean" skin for all who have bad eyesight, i have not the best eyesight but can still read it just fine so for me i love the used look.

Once you learn what does what and muscle memory kicks in you wont be looking at the writing anyway.

But each to their own, some want a super clean never been used look, others prefer the seen action and flown look.

The mod makers and skin designers will help the community out like they have done in the pass.