[NOT A BUG] BALT doesn't hold course

imacken

I'm a little confused about this aspect of Autopilot. The manual says it should hold altitude AND heading. For me it only holds altitude. It doesn't correct any roll angles that are present at time of switching on to enable it to hold heading.

If in a bit of a roll, then the heading will change when BALT is switched on.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Nope, not for me it doesn't. No selection of ATTH or HSEL previously at all.

For example, in a roll of 5 degrees and some pitch, switch on BALT and the Hornet levels the altitude (cancels the pitch), but continues to maintain the roll angle, so no heading hold possible.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Sorry, I really don't know what you mean. Can you clarify where it says that in the manual?

On p127, it says 'BALT - when engaged, the aircraft will maintain the current heading and barometric altitude...'.

Hmm.. OK, I see what you mean on p29. That is very confusing, and seems to fly in the face of what is said later in the Autopilot section on p127.

Quoting from manual:

"Heading or attitude hold is maintained, depending upon which mode was previously engaged"

If you had no mode selected before engaging BALT, then you cannot expect ALT HSEL or ATTH hold.

This means basically that engaging BALT will not disengage any of those modes. Think of RALT, it will disengage BALT, for example. Thus, the clarification.

edit: typo, meant HSEL

i8700K / GTX 1080i - HOTAS Warthog / TPR

Sorry, I have to disagree. See my post #6. The manual states clearly in the Autopilot Relief Modes section that 'BALT - when engaged, the aircraft will maintain the current heading and barometric altitude between 0 and 70,000 feet.'

Of course RALT will disengage BALT as you can't have both!

Yes, you could be wrong.

Looking at the index on p2 shows the Autopilot Relief Modes section to be on p126.

It is perfectly reasonable to assume this is where one should look for information on the Autopilot Relief Modes, don't you think? There, it clearly states that BALT holds current heading and altitude.

If it doesn't work that way, and works as per the UFC page, then at best, the manual on p127 needs rewriting.

Fair enough, all I am saying is that BALT does not act in the way described in the Autopilot Relief Mode section of the manual. It only holds heading if HSEL is selected as well.

Either the BALT behaviour needs changing, or the manual does.

• ED Team

Autopilot behaves correctly. When each individual mode is turned on, the basic mode is also turned on - heading holding. In the case of BALT, it either holds the magnetic heading if the autopilot was previously disabled, or ATTH if it was selected before BALT, or selected heading with HSEL.

In heading hold mode, the magnetic heading is maintained if the roll during the switch on time was less than 5 degrees, otherwise the roll will remain.

Edited by cofcorpse

Autopilot behaves correctly. When each individual mode is turned on, the basic mode is also turned on - heading holding. In the case of BALT, it either holds the magnetic heading if the autopilot was previously disabled, or ATTH if it was selected before BALT, or selected heading with HSEL.

In heading hold mode, the magnetic heading is maintained if the roll during the switch on time was less than 5 degrees, otherwise the roll will remain.

You are correct in that. BALT only holds heading when the roll is less than 5 degrees. This is not what is stated in the manual, and it needs to be updated to reflect that.

Just to repeat the manual says - 'BALT - when engaged, the aircraft will maintain the current heading and barometric altitude.'

'If less than 5 degrees roll' needs to be added.

I wonder where I read this, but I could swear I read this somewhere, that if bank angle is more than 5 deg then BALT mode will hold your ALT and bank angle (essentially an "orbit hold"). If less then 5 deg bank, it will hold ALT and HEADING.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

I wonder where I read this, but I could swear I read this somewhere, that if bank angle is more than 5 deg then BALT mode will hold your ALT and bank angle (essentially an "orbit hold"). If less then 5 deg bank, it will hold ALT and HEADING.

Yup. Works great, I use it a lot to orbit while waiting for tasking.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Yep, it all works nicely. Just, as I said above, the manual needs tweaking to reflect actual behaviour.