DCS: F-14 CASE I Carrier Landing Tutorial

104th_Maverick

I'd say you retract speedbrakes manually upon touchdown, in a conditioned combined left-hand / left-thumb action together with shoving the throttle forward, since the main use of their deployment during approach is to come in at a higher engine RPM and therefore shorter spool-up time when selecting milPower upon touchdown.

The DLC will take care of itself by retracting automatically with the milPower selection.

I'd say you retract speedbrakes manually upon touchdown, in a conditioned combined left-hand / left-thumb action together with shoving the throttle forward, since the main use of their deployment during approach is to come in at a higher engine RPM and therefore shorter spool-up time when selecting milPower upon touchdown.

The DLC will take care of itself by retracting automatically with the milPower selection.

As far as I'm aware, the speed brakes should retract at Mil as well. Im check with the vCVW-11 guys to verify.

YUP:

unknown.png

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

As far as I'm aware, the speed brakes should retract at Mil as well.

Correct sir.

Reason being as I mentioned in the video, you never go in to AB even if you bolter or waveoff. MIL selection instantly retracts DLC and Speedbrake.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

;3833134']Correct sir.

Reason being as I mentioned in the video, you never go in to AB even if you bolter or waveoff. MIL selection instantly retracts DLC and Speedbrake.

Haven't watched yet, have to wait until I get home. Thanks !

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

;3833134']Correct sir.

Beautiful, beautiful plane, I'm so excited listening to 80 songs the whole day!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk

Autothrottle looks very special. Which landing mode do you prefer?

Do you need the same throttlework like on the F18?

I prefer manual, while the AT system is fantastic and works perfectly well its a strange feeling not being in control of the power.

The throttle work is similar to the Hornet however your inputs are much smaller as the Tomcat has a lot more power and the delivery of the power is extremely quick, so you don't move the throttle back and forward as much as you do in the Hornet.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fantastic landing. I've flown the AS F-14 in FSX a lot when it came out and remember how increadibly difficult case I approaches where compared to VRS's rhino (also FSX of course). Looking forward to trying it out myself. Just a one question: You activated DLC before finishing the downwind turn. I always thought you use DLC after the downwind turn, or is there no specific rule for that? And some nitpicking :p RA showed about 900ft Initial altitude, while the baro altimeter showed 800ft. Otherwise, perfect video!

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

;3833226']The throttle work is similar to the Hornet however your inputs are much smaller as the Tomcat has a lot more power and the delivery of the power is extremely quick' date=' so you don't move the throttle back and forward as much as you do in the Hornet.[/quote']

Thanks for the video and the answers. Do you find it easier or harder to land than the Hornet?

... You activated DLC before finishing the downwind turn. I always thought you use DLC after the downwind turn, or is there no specific rule for that? ...RA showed about 900ft Initial altitude, while the baro altimeter showed 800ft...

According to NATOPS, you activate DLC after wings level on downwind as you say. But TBH it is so close that it is probably just splitting hairs at this point, just don't say that to your IP lol. Still remember our IPs giving our P3 pilots a hard time when they fluffed their base turn "You should of had 1 more degree bank angle, 24 not 23 degrees - go around and do it again properly"...on that gauge with 5 degree graduations lol.

Regarding the BA vs RA, he possibly just had the incorrect QNH set ever so slightly? Baro is never that accurate anyway compared to RA at that height.

CaseI.thumb.jpg.065a1cf11c23b5ad8b947813076dc4e6.jpg

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice! Thanks Maverick for your videos.

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

Thanks for the video and the answers. Do you find it easier or harder to land than the Hornet?

I found it easy after some practice but I think most of that was down to having so much CASE I time in the Hornet prior to getting in the Tomcat, so I'm not sure :)

I'd say they are pretty close to being the same, the Tomcat feels more stable with all the lift it generates plus DLC makes life easier for minor adjustments... rather than having to make an additional power correction you can leave the power as set and deploy / retract the DLC so in that sense its a little easier.

I was too early with the DLC and a little to early with the wings coming forward in the video too. RA vs BA was also not perfect either, my gut tells me I should have been on the RA.

So not a perfect tutorial but I'll make another one at a later date that is more accurate!

Thanks for the positivity guys, I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

According to NATOPS, you activate DLC after wings level on downwind as you say. But TBH it is so close that it is probably just splitting hairs at this point...

They had a Tomcat pilot and RIO on the fighter pilot podcast yesterday (absolutely worth a listen of course). I might be misinterpreting but it sounded to me like they wouldn’t extend DLC until stable in the groove, right before the burble. It’s a sample size of one so take from it what you will.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...