[SOLVED] Nothing working after OS update

whitehot

Last week I updated from W7 to W10 64 pro.

After installing all the relevant drivers and prerequisites, went to update and repair the existing installation of DCSW, that was sitting on my SSD.

I've had some problems in obtaining a new password but in the end managed to enter the program, also activated the mods i have (besides the campaigns, for which i haven't been asked a key so far).

Anyway, after completing these steps I am able to launch DCS world and get to the main screen; but from there, nothing else works, the program just sits there frozen on the loading screen.

I've already performed two repairs, no dice.

Any suggestion?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2, MSI M5 Z170A Gaming, NZXT X61 Kraken liquid cooler, PNY Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz C15, samsung 840 evo SSD, CoolerMaster 1000W Gold rated PSU, NZXT Noctis 450 cabinet, Samsung S240SW 24' 1920x1200 LED panel, X-52 Pro Flight stick. W10 Pro x64 1809, NO antivirus EVER

First of all

I have bad experiences with upgrade from W7 to W10, making clean instalation is much better.

Also before instalation of W10 make sure the manufacturer of your mainboard provides drivers for Windows 10. If not, it is better to stay with Windows 7.

Download all drivers to any removable drive.

Download the W10 instalator via official microsoft tool to any 8GB USB FLASH

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

Most Intel chipset boards uses their own special HCI drivers. Those are IRST drivers. It is good to unpack the driver pack somewhere into W10 instalation on USB FLASH.

Make sure you have the latest version of BIOS firmware.

If available, in BIOS (UEFI), set the UEFI mode with Secure Boot mode on and Fastboot mode on.

Then start with instalation of Windows 10, the best is to install to clean drive with GPT instead of MBR. To do that, you have to clear all data from drive.

In windows instalator, press shift+F10,

Write: diskpart

press enter

Write: list disk

enter

check the drive number you want install W10 in

Write select disk # - substitute "#" by drive number number

enter

write clean

enter

Now all data from HDD are wiped.

write exit

enter

again write exit

enter

Continue with instalation.

If you did the step with unpacking IRST drivers:

When selecting the W10 instalation drive, select "load driver" and find the HCI driver located in the IRST driver package for your 64-bit system.

Continue by common steps of instalation.

Quite important thing:

While the OS is installing, unplug your ethernet cable.

W10 is automatically downloading all drivers once connected to internet.

My experience is to not let OS download and install its own drivers, drivers provided by manufacturer are much better.

After instalation of all drivers, conect your PC to internet.

DCS usually wants to instal .net framework 3.5

You can install it manually via "control panel\All Control Pane lItems\Programs and features\turn windows features on or off"

Edited by AJaromir

... Anyway, after completing these steps I am able to launch DCS world and get to the main screen; but from there, nothing else works, the program just sits there frozen on the loading screen.

I've already performed two repairs, no dice.

Any suggestion?

Post the dcs.log to see if there are any hints about what may be happening.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Post the dcs.log to see if there are any hints about what may be happening.

You gave me the idea that solved my problem.

I've had the presumption of backing up the content under the "Saved games" directory in Windows 7, and then apply it to the Windows 10 install so to keep my settings and things.

Of course it was a purely delusive thought, that made me think that it could work.

Deleting all the content under "saved games" and let DCS build a new one made it work.

Now, control remapping it is.

thanks for your answers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2, MSI M5 Z170A Gaming, NZXT X61 Kraken liquid cooler, PNY Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz C15, samsung 840 evo SSD, CoolerMaster 1000W Gold rated PSU, NZXT Noctis 450 cabinet, Samsung S240SW 24' 1920x1200 LED panel, X-52 Pro Flight stick. W10 Pro x64 1809, NO antivirus EVER