Show us your first carrier landing!

Flamin_Squirrel

Here's a view from the back for one of our guys first attempts. The pilot movements are amazing. Great job Heat Blur!! :thumbup:

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

I didn't record my first attempt, so only a description.

Took off on my first flight fully planning not to go to the boat, as I knew I wasn't ready. That lasted all of 5 minutes.

Did not even try for a pattern, and ended up, I think, on the worst approach that has ever been seen in or out of a sim. No knowledge of the DLC, no idea where the E bracket was supposed to go compared to the hornet, excessive wing-rock, terrible speed management, massive altitude changes.

Yet somehow, I managed to catch a wire on my first go (2 wire). However Jester did comment that I probably bounced the LSO overboard with that one.

Still having some good and some terrible landings since then, but I haven't hit the back of the carrier yet or even boltered. If you're even remotely in the ballpark of where you're supposed to be, the Tomcat seems easier to catch a wire than the Hornet is somehow.

I can't, it was a one wire in a T2C on Lexington. Got better after that... ;)

What year? Long ago, I worked on the Lex flight deck.

2080Ti, i9-9900k, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 1tb NVMe SSD, Odyssey+ VR, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Grip

Just focusing on shore-based landings at the moment! But saying that, after reading all the horror stories about how much of a handful the Cat was for landing I was expecting the worst!

I actually found it surprisingly easy to get on-speed, hold it around base and put it exactly where I wanted on the runway - repeatedly. So colour me surprised...don't deploy to the boat for a while longer (more circuits and nav training etc) so will see how we go with the ground moving lol.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm checking how far I can go without the need to open the manua or watching tutorials or checklistsl.

It can be labeled as foolish but I approach every plane this way first.

The only thing I did was to read most of the buttons and levers and watch how they worked before I actually took flight.

So far I can:

- Start from the carrier

- Land on the carrier

- Shoot down planes with AIM-9 and Guns

So the very basics should be doable without much training.

The folks who come from hardcore WWII Sim enviroments adapt pretty quick to the "hands on" or rather "stick and rudder" attitude of the cat.

Here is my first landing (0 tries before, a single go around to check descent rate)

I know it's shitty but it's supposed to be ;)

Enjoy!

Edited by bogeyatyour6
YT Link had errors.

=MoAu= Mors Audente - The Bold Death Squadron

'Hey Jeff, the plane feels a little off today...'

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'The crew probably messed with it again, just trim it and we will check when we get back'

I need to start up shadowplay again. Caught an OK 3-wire today! Flew center ball all the way in without any drift. I got super lucky. Also, DLC is the tops! Only problem was being a little long in the groove.

Now I'm calling it... my next landing attempt is into the round down or the island.

Here's a view from the back for one of our guys first attempts. The pilot movements are amazing. Great job Heat Blur!! :thumbup:

Just wow the view from the rear seat is life like whether it's u looking around an side to side too seeing the pilots movent...just wow WTG Heatblur, I sure hope this MC opens the door for the other planned MC modules that hav'nt gotten theres yet htt hmm Huey :D:pilotfly:

I forgot to record my first attempt, whoops.

I think I caught the 3 wire, but my approach was very messy. Not a good pass.

I think that pretty much sums up how I see others getting on with it too: easier to catch the wires than the Hornet, but the rest of the pass is quite a bit harder.

Sorry...but I had to put in "The Landing" from "First Man." It was too perfect xD

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D / Rhino

My first attempt was a three wire. I was super long and way right turning into the groove. But I managed to get it sorted and got on course and glide slope in the last quarter mile and caught a very lucky 3.

i7 4790k @ 4.4, 32GB RAM, RX480 GTR

I fly it all.