Liverie creation

Jack

Gimp does not have yet this plugin. However I found a good workaround. Use this online tool to convert your dds to whatever you want to be used for GIMP. You can use this tool even to export your final version back into Intel DDS

unknown.png

It is possible to import BC7 dds using Gimp (I’m running 2.10.8 )

1) Install the GIMP dds plugin from here

2) Download the Microsoft DirectXTex utility called texconv.exe from here. Extract it to a folder and make note of the directory.

3) Download this python script here. Open file-dds-texconv.py in Notepad++. Now enter the full directory for your texconv.exe binary from the previous step. Save file-dds-texconv.py

4) Paste file-dds-texconv.py in your gimp plug-in folder (eg, Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

Now open GIMP and select a BC7 .dds file. A script will run briefly and the texture will import. You should be all set.

Thanks a lot Sinusoid for this tip. Is this working for export to BC7 as well?

Yes, I believe so. There are two .dds options in export file types. Choosing one will export directly as BC7, the other will bring up the dds dialog allowing you to select between DXT3/DXT5 etc.

Gimp does not have yet this plugin. However I found a good workaround. Use this online tool to convert your dds to whatever you want to be used for GIMP. You can use this tool even to export your final version back into Intel DDS

How long does it usually take to load a file using this site? I open a file and wait, nothing happens.

unknown.png

It is possible to import BC7 dds using Gimp (I’m running 2.10.8 )

1) Install the GIMP dds plugin from here

2) Download the Microsoft DirectXTex utility called texconv.exe from here. Extract it to a folder and make note of the directory.

3) Download this python script here. Open file-dds-texconv.py in Notepad++. Now enter the full directory for your texconv.exe binary from the previous step. Save file-dds-texconv.py

4) Paste file-dds-texconv.py in your gimp plug-in folder (eg, Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

Now open GIMP and select a BC7 .dds file. A script will run briefly and the texture will import. You should be all set.

I can't get this method to work. Does texconv.exe extract files to a folder? I can't get it to do anything, and in the file-dds-texconv.py, do you keep the """ """ around the location of the texconv.exe file?

• 1 year later...