Panels hard to read!

Sunshadow

Just tried out the F-14. It really looks and feels awesome!

But I have problems with reading text at the panels at 3440x1440 resolution. Some buttons and switches are only readable with a very high zoom factor. I think they used too much weathering effects on some cockpit elements.

I9 9900K @ 5Ghz | MSI Z390 Gaming Carbon Pro | KFA2 GTX 1080 Ti | 64 GB Kingston HyperX 2666Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 250GB SSD | Pimax 5K+ | Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Wheelstand Pro Flight

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree I use Odessey+ and with VR zoom it is unreadable. Other mods no problem.

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

Select weapon type as RIO impossible in VR, also using VR zoom :( letters are very small and unreadable.

Я лично в общем-то летал. У меня 42 вылета, и каждый раз меня сбивали. Если честно говорить, то в общем-то я ни разу сам не посадил самолёт.

Dedicated DCS server: http://www.cskies.net/

i7-9700K @3.60 GHz, GTX1080, Oculus Rift CV1, Saitek X56 Rhino, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

I'm trying to get a Steam refund because of this issue, among other things. It's simply not worth the price.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

A cleaner cockpit is absolutely needed here.

I am going through the first training mission, very difficult to see the buttons.

I personally do not mind a brand new shiny cockpit, it doe not have to be this used and worn. My F-14 just rolled out of the factory and should be shiny please.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Yeah, it boggles my mind why the Developers do this. I think they did an amazing job overall, but with the 14 and the 18 I just scratch my head. I can't believe the real life 14 and 18 pilots that helped test them didn't say anything. I never saw 18 's (or the few 14 cockpits I sat in) look as bad as this. I don't think they realize Corrosion control in the Navy is a huge deal and cockpits on maintained birds where never this UNSAT. The only birds I saw this bad were mothed balled birds or de-comished ones or ones in RAG/training squadrons.

Edited by walleye62

Yea, I agree. I've been flying mainly in VR and I can't really tell what my airspeed is without physically moving my head closer to the virtual gauge. I'm using PD1.6 but in the F5, its the airspeed indicator is perfectly readable.

Not entirely sure its HB's fault though, may be down to the lack of airspeed in the HUD and a crappy design by Grumman..

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

I pushed up the Gama settings up to 2.5 in graphic option and now it is improved.

The cockpit texture is truly gorgeous but for the terribly worn out parts.

However writing beside button are way illegible. Cannot see writes besides Master test switch so cannot tell if I am switched to instrument mode as instructed.

An optional shiny and new looking cockpit should be made available so those like me who struggles to read the instrument writings.

I am still exploring though, it is a beautiful aircraft nothingtheless.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

It is the Master Test switch mostly

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

An optional shiny and new looking cockpit should be made available so those like me who struggles to read the instrument writings.

I am still exploring though, it is a beautiful aircraft nothingtheless.

100% agree with this

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

I almost didn't pre-order because of this. I found the text illegible in a lot of the pre-release videos and even in the manual, but figured it would be better in the flesh.

Nope :(

I get that the aircraft is worn, but the devs also have to understand that IRL the pilots KNOW what each button does from muscle memory and don't have to read the labels. Us armchair pilots trying to learn a brand new bird don't have that luxury.

So please, be weathered by all means, but please keep the panel text readable. Please.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Master test switch is synonymous with eyestrain and borderline neck injury.

Also, without some inventive neck strain, the hydraulic transfer pump switch cannot easily be operated because it's obscured by its cover - an issue exacerbated by the fact I couldn't find it in the mappable controls list.

VR is a chore. Hoping the switches memory burns in with some experience, because some I can't even read zoomed in. That Master test switch broke my neck.

I feel this way about VR in DCS in general. It's just not clear enough to be enjoyable, no matter which plane.

run come save me

I think VR and readability will be an issue until the hardware/HMD's improve. However, I do think the devs can ease up a bit on the weathering of the cockpit consoles. It should look used and dated, but not the point where the text is illegible. I think there is a fine line that's not easy to achieve between weather-beaten and just too clean to the point of looking unrealistic. I think HB did an amazing job on the cockpit but the wear could be dialed down just a notch or two. I do think this will become a moot point once everybody learns and remembers where the gauges and switches are in the cockpit.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

I completely agree. For those of us in VR we really need a cockpit texture that isn't so worn out and still has clear writing so we can see what we are doing. I looked over the cockpit in pancake mode and it is definitely beautiful as it is but in VR it is just to worn out.

Owned Modules: F-18, F-16, F-14, AV-8B, A-10c, Huey, Hip, KA-50, Gazelle, Mig 15, Mig 19, Mig 21, FC3, P-51, BF-109, C-101, L-39, F-5, YAK-52

PC Specs- 8700k at 5.1GHz on Asrock z370 Fata1ity k6, EVGA 1080ti SSC2, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 1TB NVMe m.2 Drive for DCS with a 500gb NVMe M.2 boot drive, Oculus Rift S