Panels hard to read!

Sunshadow

VR is just a struggle for developers in general. In the desire to be realistic, some things simply become too unreadable in VR. Please give us feedback on what particular items ar a bit of a pain and we'll make sure to alleviate as we go.

Cobra, this is not just a VR issue. I have 3 x 1920x1200 screens and trackIR and running on the highest settings for everything. I can't make out the text on a lot of panels even if I move my face right up against the screen.

I don't have problems reading panel text in any other module.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look in the real videos of the Tomcat. The switches are very very small, and in fact quite hard to read. This is exacerbated by the fact that the switch panels sit low, are even with the seat, and a lot of switches are stuffed into the panels. Guys that have worked on it have indicated the same. Stuff like the MIG-19 and F-18, the cockpits are small and the switches are a lot closer/larger to the pilot as opposed to the Tomcat which has a large cockpit.

Those same guys. indicate that some RIO's had asked the AT's/AE's to put heatshrink on the VSL switch to make it larger and easier to find in a pinch. So this is not anything wrong with the Tomcat, it's realistic. Once you learn where the switches are and what they do you won't be worried about how small they are or what the labels say, you'll just know.

If you notice most older jets are like this. The more complex the airframe vs it's general era of construction, the more stuff is jammed into the cockpit, the smaller switches/knobs have to be to fit all of it in.

Secondly you might also notice, that while the side panel switches are quite small and difficult to read, the actual switches/buttons that you need to use much more often (pilots Display Control Panel for instance) are much larger and easier. There's a method to the design madness :)

Edited by IceFire

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Matt "IceFire" Schuette

Commander In Chief United States Atlantic Command

Virtual Carrier Air Wing Eleven

Using a Samsung Odyssey here with PD of 1.5 and mostly high settings.

As Redglyph mentioned setting the gamma to 2.5 at least just for each time I'm in the tomcat does make the cockpit brighter and easier to read in VR.

Some switches I had issues seeing are master test switch, hydraulic pump and power switch, the slats and stabs switch, the ics switch, maybe the radio switches since the big yellow markers may be hiding some text in the tutorials but that's fine.

I didn't get to fly it tonight because I've been working on starting her up properly. Of course then my girlfriend decides to call me and talk for 2hrs lol.

The mig 19 also seemed illegible and dark in VR until the liveries with less ambient occlusion lighting were posted.

I will think a less worn and cleaner cockpit would help here, maybe less shadow lighting on the textures? I don't have issues in VR with the viggen.

Overall it's a beautiful cockpit and I'm very impressed. Perhaps also if you are in VR changing your view seating position so you are lower may help with reading the switches better.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I get it that the beat up outlook of the cockpit right now appeals to the Tomcat rawness.

The cockpit does however need some touch of clarity on the of writings on the switches.

Inability to know where you have switched your switches to kill immersion for me.

This aircraft is so many ways than others about immersion

This is not only peculiar to VR.

If I had the option of clean and new cockpit, I would take it.

I am sure a compromised route of keeping the cockpit instruments panel marks and indicators legible while keeping its uniquely worn out look is achievable.

Cheers .

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Yeah, it boggles my mind why the Developers do this. I think they did an amazing job overall, but with the 14 and the 18 I just scratch my head. I can't believe the real life 14 and 18 pilots that helped test them didn't say anything. I never saw 18 's (or the few 14 cockpits I sat in) look as bad as this. I don't think they realize Corrosion control in the Navy is a huge deal and cockpits on maintained birds where never this UNSAT. The only birds I saw this bad were mothed balled birds or de-comished ones or ones in RAG/training squadrons.

+1000

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Completely agree. In 2D high resolution too many switches are illegible and the overall ‘battered’ cockpit liveries are too much. Has taken the shine off the release for me, would have liked a choice of weathered or new cockpit. So much effort has gone into this release by the devs to make this launch as perfect as they can (v.admirable) hard to believe creating a clean/new cockpit option would have taken as much effort as some of the fine details they have applied elsewhere.

VR is just a struggle for developers in general. In the desire to be realistic, some things simply become too unreadable in VR. Please give us feedback on what particular items ar a bit of a pain and we'll make sure to alleviate as we go.

I'd not worry about VR to be honest. Any text is hard to read in VR unless it is massive size, which I don't think it's plausible in the cockpit, and, eventually, in about 10 years from now we will have proper per eye resolution, so it will fix itself.

In 2D, @4k and 2k everything on front panel is readable without a problem while sitting about arm length from the monitor (34" and 27" respectively). Side panels are readable wit a bit of zoom, as in any other aircraft in DCS. I have 20/20 vision. I am not a fan of exterior tear and wear, but I don't find interior wear excessive and it doesn't hinder usability of the cockpit for me.

Edited by mdee

For all those people breaking their necks / eyes on the Master Test switch - you don't *have* to touch that switch at all in order to start up the F-14. It's perfectly functional without touching it. I've managed to get by in VR without really struggling, but I have been skipping all the bit tests / pre-flight checks and just doing the core steps to get started.

This is the minimum required checklist to be fully mission ready:

gtrLbe0.png

From my point of view in VR major problem for RIO is to select Weapon type.

With max VR zoom it is impossible to read what is selected.

Now i try count when i move the wheel, but ... :doh::helpsmilie:

Picture in attachment.

I Suggest to duplicate selected weapon with Text like Radio communication (subtitles in right top corner) :) plz :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=206243&stc=1&d=1552551883

WPNType.PNG.0106d999ae3e808d028b044397bea05c.PNG

Edited by Crimson

Я лично в общем-то летал. У меня 42 вылета, и каждый раз меня сбивали. Если честно говорить, то в общем-то я ни разу сам не посадил самолёт.

Dedicated DCS server: http://www.cskies.net/

i7-9700K @3.60 GHz, GTX1080, Oculus Rift CV1, Saitek X56 Rhino, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

It's not only VR, I'm only using TrackIR and it's a real pain to read the panels.

Maybe it doesn't matter to a pilot with a good sight and a real Tomcat, who has flown the jet for years. But it does for someone who has a classic monitor and doesn't know all the knobs and buttons by heart.

This and inconsistent cockpit click buttons logic are apparently little things, but they completely break the immersion.

PS. I'd hate to only point out one little downside. The overall atmosphere in the cockpit, all the little details inside and outside the aircraft, are fabulous! :)

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

I only had the chance to fly yesterday for 30 minutes with my oculus rift. Thus far I can only tell you that is the most impressive cockpit i've sit into with my rift. Master piece from you guys.

That said, as some people suggest there are some buttons here and there that are quite worn out. Nothing too problematic though.

And it is beautiful as is. Truly a work of art.
Absolutely gorgeous as it is. In a class of her own.

But I cannot help imagining how it would be like if everywhere was new with the way Heatblur has gone texturing that cockoit, Oh my gosh! sitting in that cockpit and just gazing at those panels would have suffice for me without flying.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I have the same issue, however, I don’t see what could really be done about it, without making the interior unrealistic in appearance.

I do however have a plan.

My intent is to look in the manual and take large screenshots of the panel areas that I struggle to read the text of. Then I’m going to embed the enlarged views into my knee board for reference.

Once we’re accustomed to the cockpit, then it will be 2nd nature and fine.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Maybe it doesn't matter to a pilot with a good sight and a real Tomcat, who has flown the jet for years. But it does for someone who has a classic monitor and doesn't know all the knobs and buttons by heart.

Yes, real Tomcat pilot would not have issues flying in that cockpit but once upon a time, that cockpit was new for the ones who got to fly her when she rolled out of wherever this amazing aircraft was made.

No harm in flying this beauty new.

For all those people breaking their necks / eyes on the Master Test switch - you don't *have* to touch that switch at all in order to start up the F-14. It's perfectly functional without touching it. I've managed to get by in VR without really struggling, but I have been skipping all the bit tests / pre-flight checks and just doing the core steps to get started.

This is the minimum required checklist to be fully mission ready:

gtrLbe0.png

Thank You for this handy distillation

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Completely agree. Especially everything on the left side console and the right side console is unreadable, even with maximum VR zoom and leaning way down (using a Rift here). This was not an issue in any other jet so far. I can't for the life of me make out the text next to the ICS switch or the master test switch, the hydraulic switches on the right or any of the radio controls on the left. I basically have to memorize all of these for now. I'm just glad that most of them are only needed for startup and not actual flight.

The front panels and instruments are much better.

This was not really an issue in the F/A-18C, A-10C or any of my other modules, at least not to that extreme extent.

I'm having issues reading the cockpit too, compared to most of the other modules.

2D track ir user here.

I find specially difficult reading speed and altitude while carrier landing.

And some switches are difficult too.

I however found out that it helps a lot setting the instruments and console bright to Max even at daylight.

Is not perfect but most of the stuff is slightly more readable that way.

I'm having issues reading the cockpit too, compared to most of the other modules.

Same here.

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

The Tomcat's cockpit design is not a problem. The problem is that many lables look like a museum junk that no one cared about for 20 years...

33723458a2092470.jpg

In the tutorial it took me 10 minutes of spinning the master test switch to finally deduce that I'm in the emergency gen portion. Now I know these things are no required but I like to do things by the book and learn it all properly. I just don't think not worrying about VR is something to put off quickly because it may be fine on a monitor.

I haven't used my trackir since I got the Odyssey/Rift. I also don't have issues in VR with other airframes, except maybe the harrier which I will say is also a bit hard to see.

For the most part I can tell what a switch or label should be with VR zoom. I don't think it needs a lot of changes at all. I think to make it more legible in VR we just need a less worn labels/switches and it should be perfect then. Some of those labels on the switches look like someone took sandpaper over them, a bit too worn.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz