[NO BUG] Jester Wheel in VR

robgraham

Another Jester Wheel one though this is not the same as the one for the screens.

When the Wheel comes up in VR it's defaulted to being in the Middle of the HUD, that's great unless you bring it up while looking in another direction as the Wheel automatically detects were you where looking at that moment as the 'Centre' rather then the middle of the hud.. It wouldn't be an issue if the jester wheel popped up in front of where you were looking but it doesn't seem to be doing that, however the way the movement etc is happening would suggest that this is the intended means..

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open the Cat in VR.

2. Look down at your lap or any other item not 'in front'

3. press jester.

4. try and use the menu. it is locked to the front of the AC and any head movements for alignment are not.

Edited by IronMike

i7 13700k, 64gb DDR5, Warthog HOTAS, HP Reverb G2 VR, win 11, RTX 3070

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)

I noticed something to that effect as well last night. My thought is when the menu opens, the radial point on you look access should be centered in the middle of the menu. So when you look at your target option, you are actually looking at your target option.

What I experienced may be what you are saying. In VR, I opened Jester while looking off center (away from the HUD) and it felt like I had to leave my head in that position, and land the vector on my target option from where I was looking when I opened Jester. Gonna play with it more tonight. Interested to see where this thread goes.

the pie menu simply doesnt open at center of view but center of airplane axis.

the selection line opens at center of view and not center of pie menu.

fix = open pie menu to direction (horizontally) of view or directly center of view. I would recommend the horizontaly centered to viewing direction, as if pilot opens it when looking upwards or downwards, there might not be enough movement to do a selection. Why locking it vertically to horizon, it would be accessible on any horizontal direction but need to be operated vertically at horizon axis.

recommendation = make pie menu smaller by 33-50% so less eye movements required to read and less head movement to point. At start the big pie is fancy, but in time you learn the directions and it becomes just slow to use.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

+1 here, got caught with that. Opened the menu and was looking down a bit - and the selection line was already looking way down. Luckily could look up enough to centralise it and close the menu to try again looking ahead.

Also agree with making it smaller for VR users.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I noticed when you are in the back and order the pilot to turn right or left you actually have to look the wrong direction to make him turn. On the right side of the wheel is turn 10 degree left, 30 degrees left ect. Would be better to have that on the left side of the wheel. lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am having the same issue. Just feels a pain to have to keep looking forward before pressing the Jester Menu AI button.

Wouldn't it be better if the head pointer was based on the front position regardless of the head position when you pressed the menu button?

• 1 year later...

Why is this issue stated as "NO BUG"? Is there any workaround for it?

This bug makes jester menu not only unusable, it makes no sense at all.

Once you opened the jester menu in VR without looking straight forward (e.g. in a dogfight), not only you cannot use it but you cannot close it as well because the selection line is pointing to a menu as soon as you look straight forward, so I have to remember where my head position roughly was at the point of time opening the menu and hoping I don't hit any other menu when trying to close it.

This IS A BUG. There is no point to do it like that. Please keep the selection line centered with your view like the jester menu itself.

How should I operate a selection line with a centered position from where I cannot even see the jester menu?

Why is this issue stated as "NO BUG"? Is there any workaround for it?

This bug makes jester menu not only unusable, it makes no sense at all.

Once you opened the jester menu in VR without looking straight forward (e.g. in a dogfight), not only you cannot use it but you cannot close it as well because the selection line is pointing to a menu as soon as you look straight forward, so I have to remember where my head position roughly was at the point of time opening the menu and hoping I don't hit any other menu when trying to close it.

This IS A BUG. There is no point to do it like that. Please keep the selection line centered with your view like the jester menu itself.

How should I operate a selection line with a centered position from where I cannot even see the jester menu?

You can indeed close the Jester Menu while not looking at it, see pic.

Having the Jester menu centered in your actual VR viewpoint when you open it would be handy, but not sure on the technical difficulties associated in doing this.

Close.thumb.jpg.a1f391f597cd3a92b1ef678f25ac19d4.jpg

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]