ECM Etiquette

pressing your ECM like this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this thisthis this this this this this this this this this this this this thisthis this this this this this this this this this this this this thisthis this this this this this this this this this this this this thisthis this this this this this this this this this this this this thisthis this this this this this this this this this this this this this

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well... ECM has its good and bad sides... people should learn both and learn when its good to use it and when not. I assume people that use ECM all the time think they are invisible :huh:

One thing I disaprove completely is having a programmed macro to turn ECM on and off in repetative manner... as already very nicely described, like this (in Homer Simpsons voice):

ECM on... ECM off... ECM on... ECM off... ECM on... ECM off... ECM on... ECM off... ECM on... ECM off... ECM on... ECM off... ECM on... ECM off... ECM on... ECM off... ECM on... ECM off... ECM on... ECM off...

... get the point? :D

and someone please get defribillator to revive rlogue :D

No longer active in DCS...

In terms of using it correctly, there is no set way, You kind of just develope some strategy as you go along.

Just don't Blink (strobe) and you'll be fine.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Ok, so lets say I'm flying my Eagle around on the 169th and the AWACS calls me in on an enemy Mig. Should I lock him up and then toggle the ECM, or should I automatically begin jamming when I get a bearing on him?

"When you're out of Tomcats, you're out of fighters!"

helk.gif

Spamming ECM in order to hide your position all the time is dangerous, At a certain time the ruse wont work anymore, specialy against the F-15 youll never get any warning untill you take an AMRAAM in the face. On top of this in F-15 its easier to judge distance to jammer than on the other fighters.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Spamming ECM in order to hide your position all the time is dangerous, At a certain time the ruse wont work anymore, specialy against the F-15 youll never get any warning untill you take an AMRAAM in the face. On top of this in F-15 its easier to judge distance to jammer than on the other fighters.

Hi Pilotasso :)

Do you mean that an AMRAAM shot in HOJ mode doesn't raise any alarm on the SPO / RWR of the target ? :)

Cheers :)

Hub.

-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As a Frog pilot I will turn my jammer on and off manually (if he locks me, jammer on, if he locks me again, jammer off...rinse and repeat) to irritate the hell out of the fighter pilot trying to HOJ me...the theory being that he keeps having to re-acquire me from normal lock to HOJ. Obviously in an a/c as slow as a Frog its generally only a matter of time before he gets close enough to kill me anyway but...the hope is some friendly fighters get close enough to take care of him before I die.

If that's "improper use" of the ECM well...I think we've had that discussed to death in another thread.

However:

Rule #1: ECM is not part of the start-up procedure (but the IR jammer in a Frog is!)

Rule #2: ECM is a big "come shoot me" sign if you are a solo a/c operating on your own. As a co-ordinated flight, it can be a very useful...tool.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

487th Helicopter Attack Regiment, of the

VVS504 Red Hammers

^^^^ It does irritate a guy, however I preffer not to do it myself because it scares people off the game, besides the job of fighters is suposed to protect their ground assets. Fight back with tactics, not on his nerves.

Hi Pilotasso :)

Do you mean that an AMRAAM shot in HOJ mode doesn't raise any alarm on the SPO / RWR of the target ? :)

Cheers :)

Hub.

It depends, though Im not sure on what.

If he keeps ECM on all the time, the most hell get is 2 seconds of warning, (its too fast to do much), or no warning at all. I have fell victim of this a few times, and in half of those situations I never got any warning.

You have to ask your team mates for swiching off their first though, if you think they are mixed in the front line. Or else you risk fracticide.

My PC specs below:

As a Frog pilot I will turn my jammer on and off manually (if he locks me, jammer on, if he locks me again, jammer off...rinse and repeat) to irritate the hell out of the fighter pilot trying to HOJ me...the theory being that he keeps having to re-acquire me from normal lock to HOJ. Obviously in an a/c as slow as a Frog its generally only a matter of time before he gets close enough to kill me anyway but...the hope is some friendly fighters get close enough to take care of him before I die....

Rule #1: ECM is not part of the start-up procedure (but the IR jammer in a Frog is!)....

As a Frog Pilot I agree 100% with Brewber - no use waiting around to be Pithed by the Fast-Jets......utilize the ECM as stated manually, especially in Hyperlobby where unco-ordinated punch-ups are frequently the norm and Frogs have Intermittent top-cover.

Also helluva useful for neutralizing incoming SAM's/conversely during SEAD Ops.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

As a Frog pilot I will turn my jammer on and off manually (if he locks me, jammer on, if he locks me again, jammer off...rinse and repeat) to irritate the hell out of the fighter pilot trying to HOJ me...the theory being that he keeps having to re-acquire me from normal lock to HOJ. Obviously in an a/c as slow as a Frog its generally only a matter of time before he gets close enough to kill me anyway but...the hope is some friendly fighters get close enough to take care of him before I die.

If that's "improper use" of the ECM well...I think we've had that discussed to death in another thread.

However:

Rule #1: ECM is not part of the start-up procedure (but the IR jammer in a Frog is!)

Rule #2: ECM is a big "come shoot me" sign if you are a solo a/c operating on your own. As a co-ordinated flight, it can be a very useful...tool.

+1 Spot on ..spot on

Speed is life !!!

Last night in the RvE dedi we saw ONLY blinkers. Every single person in there was blinking and we could not lock until 12,5 nm at any point. Very frustrating =/

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

Why it would be 'unrealistic' considering how the jammer works in LO and its effects, is beyond me. In fact there are arguments to say that at least some of it is realistic ...

It's just that there's a bunch of whiners who'll like to call you a cheater for using this technique just because it frustrates them. We've all had to deal with it ... big deal. Suck it up, develop countermeasures/tactics and be done with it already.

This ECM issue is on the list for a fix anyway, so suck it up until then instead of whining about it already. It's not like it stops you from shooting them down.

Personally I couldn't care less if someone used this to break my lock - I've even dealt with the ones to strobe it 10 times a second to try and vanish from your radar ... they are not unbeatable. Just annoying - especially the fast ones.

All that said, some people are truly inconsiderate (or just don't know any better) and use their jammer (whether blinking or not) constantly or at very bad times, thus actually messing up their own team with it. Not fun.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Ok, so lets say I'm flying my Eagle around on the 169th and the AWACS calls me in on an enemy Mig. Should I lock him up and then toggle the ECM, or should I automatically begin jamming when I get a bearing on him?

I think you should use it any way you see fit to try to keep the bandit from gaining the first launch - that's what it's for. Don't put too much stock into the anti-blinkers! lol

• Like 1

I bet real life fighter pilots would get a kick out of the term "ECM Etiquette".:doh:

They would get a kick out of just about anything in this SIM depending on how much you want to tell them about LOMACs limitations.

With this in mind I could also make them have a kick on how you are able to stay away from being detected and targeted (not to mention avoiding missiles). Thats the most hilarious part, but of course those who support this wont aproach the matter from that inconvenient point of view. After all it is rare to see someone telling a story in order to make himself look like a fool on purpose.

My PC specs below:

They would get a kick out of just about anything in this SIM depending on how much you want to tell them about LOMACs limitations.

With this in mind I could also make them have a kick on how you are able to stay away from being detected and targeted (not to mention avoiding missiles). Thats the most hilarious part, but of course those who support this wont aproach the matter from that point of view. After all it is rare to see someone telling a story in order to make himself look like a fool on purpose.

I agree - I wasn't trying to give the author of this thread a hard time, I just got a laugh thinking about the subject title. Using the term etiquette in a combat scenario made me think of the old days when soldiers would line up on the field nose to nose and shoot at one another - "gentlemanly". I'm thinking that terms like etiquette, gentleman, sportman have no place in today's combat.

Thats where you are wrong. There are dirty tricks any country can do to finish off the enemy in a speedy and efficient way. But they wont because they know they are likely to suffer payback in the same currency at some time. Hence in many conflicts there are a set of rules even enemies agree on not to do.

My PC specs below:

Thats where you are wrong. There are dirty tricks any country can do to finish off the enemy in a speedy and efficient way. But they wont because they know they are likely to suffer payback in the same currency at some time. Hence in many conflicts there are a set of rules even enemies agree on not to do.

I bet they don't agree to not blink ECM !:smilewink:

They can disagree as much as they want to, but IRL they wont be able to replicate this. Stealth comes from other means. ;)

My PC specs below: