F14 Skinners thread (Paintkit in 1st post)

David A Sell

Blue - Gray is almost Done

[ATTACH]208901[/ATTACH]

great!

do you have also camo version of iriaf?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I noticed there were a bunch of layers here and there with no labels in the Liveries section. They seemed to be the lighter gray and the blue-ish grey. Not part of any livery groups.

Any chance of a quick guide to these templates for the un-initiated? Some of the others out there for other aircraft seem pretty straightforwards with their layer labeling and organization, ie bottom "paint here" layer, then on top all the panel lines, labels, weathering, etc.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

great!

do you have also camo version of iriaf?

Yes

icon modules dcs small.png

My Liveries : Download Here       IIF Project : Click here       My Discord : Isaac#5625       Iranian DCS Community Discord Channel : Click Here
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My Gear :

CPU: i5 7500 @ 3.8GHz | Mainboard: ASUS STRIX H270F Gaming | Ram: 32gig 2400 | GPU: ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 6G OC | Monitor: ASUS VG278HE 27" 144Hrz | Headtracker: Open Track + DIY Clips | HOTAS : T.16000M | Mouse & Keyboard: ROG IMPACT II & Cooler Master Devastator 3

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WISH LIST Maps : Iraq and West of IRAN  | Vietnam 

I noticed there were a bunch of layers here and there with no labels in the Liveries section. They seemed to be the lighter gray and the blue-ish grey. Not part of any livery groups.

Any chance of a quick guide to these templates for the un-initiated? Some of the others out there for other aircraft seem pretty straightforwards with their layer labeling and organization, ie bottom "paint here" layer, then on top all the panel lines, labels, weathering, etc.

I may do a short screen recording of making a basic livery if there is enough interest.

The best way to get used to our layout is probably to just mess around. Create a subfolder inside the Liveries folder and play around with different colors and opacities.

I may do a short screen recording of making a basic livery if there is enough interest.

The best way to get used to our layout is probably to just mess around. Create a subfolder inside the Liveries folder and play around with different colors and opacities.

Do it!

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

I'd bet there will be a tonne of interest. I've been messing around with skins for some time now with mixed success using youtube tutorials. A guide, straight from the horses mouth, would be brilliant.

For the F-18, we can turn off the background layer and retain all the other details like this:

And then can replace with completely different background color like this:

But with F-14, when I turn off background color layers, it seems a lot of lines, panels, etc are gone.

So when the background is replaced with totally different color, many lines and panels are missing

Where the originally file looks like this

I see.

Different techniques for different companies I suppose.

Here's how I would do it:

Fill layer (Set to about 80% opacity) and then use the picker to find your desired hue.

Adding a quick video file. :)

I understand how to do that as a workaround but the result is much too dark for what I was looking to do, like airshow qual w/o weathering and such. Having to leave that grey "Base Texture copy 2" layer in there to retain lines and panels is just gonna darken everything. And adjusting that layer's opacity will wash out the original lines and panels. Guess I could run a threshold and other processes on "Base Texture copy 2" layer to eliminate the background color while retaining major features, but that really shouldn't be necessary for a production paintkit.

Maybe the version 1.1 release that was mentioned could include the source layers that were combined to produce "Base Texture copy 2" layer?

I use Photoshop CS2, when I try to open say "HB_F14_EXT_01.psd" I find a number of,

Unknown data has been encountered reading layer "Shape 1" and will be discarded.
Would this be fonts that I don't have i hope? After about 15 or 20 of these it opens the file and to my untrained eye it looks like all the layers are there.

I understand how to do that as a workaround but the result is much too dark for what I was looking to do, like airshow qual w/o weathering and such. Having to leave that grey "Base Texture copy 2" layer in there to retain lines and panels is just gonna darken everything. And adjusting that layer's opacity will wash out the original lines and panels. Guess I could run a threshold and other processes on "Base Texture copy 2" layer to eliminate the background color while retaining major features, but that really shouldn't be necessary for a production paintkit.

Maybe the version 1.1 release that was mentioned could include the source layers that were combined to produce "Base Texture copy 2" layer?

We produce textures in a different way that yields superior quality and realism.

Unfortunately, it means that we rely on Overlay blending modes for the base layers and that can't change, sorry.

The base texture opacity or character is not intended to be modified in any case. If you desire a minimally weathered bird; turn off the weathering folders. Going beyond that stretches the limits of an accurate albedo should be (even if very clean!)

EDIT: The Layout is actually quite straightforward; just place your colours/markings/et al. in the Liveries folder. That's it. As long as you stick to 60-80% opacity levels on colour layers, that will produce physically accurate results.

Remember to check some PBR charts for reasonable albedo values.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I use Photoshop CS2, when I try to open say "HB_F14_EXT_01.psd" I find a number of,

Would this be fonts that I don't have i hope? After about 15 or 20 of these it opens the file and to my untrained eye it looks like all the layers are there.

When you save the file it talks about features only available in CS6 and above. And recommend you use that to open.

I assume it has the more advance stuff in the way layers interact.

Another Novice Question.

I can get the livery to work when I put in in <DCS>\CoreMods\..\...\...

is there a way to put it in "Saved Games"?

-- Update --

I think I found the answer to that

<DCS_SAVED_GAMES>/Liveries/f-14b/<livery>

Edited by uri_ba
solution found

When you save the file it talks about features only available in CS6 and above. And recommend you use that to open.

Thanks, Well CS6 trial is still on there site with 30 day timer.... hmm call in sick for the next 30 days............. :cry:

Thanks, Well CS6 trial is still on there site with 30 day timer.... hmm call in sick for the next 30 days............. :cry:

checkout "Creative Cloud Photography plan" it's the lowest priced PS I found.

https://www.photopea.com is very close to Photoshop and free. However it is an online only option and may not work well with the massive files of this skin.

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes

where can i find it?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Looking for a bit more photoshop novice assistance guys

I'm trying to tweak the VF-103 skin to suite the needs of the few guys I fly with and want to change the modex numbers but USNStencil isn't available on the creative cloud fonts page.

Does anyone know where to get it or know of a replacement?

Looking for a bit more photoshop novice assistance guys

I'm trying to tweak the VF-103 skin to suite the needs of the few guys I fly with and want to change the modex numbers but USNStencil isn't available on the creative cloud fonts page.

Does anyone know where to get it or know of a replacement?

https://www.dafont.com/usn-stencil.font

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog