F14 Skinners thread (Paintkit in 1st post)

David A Sell

HB folks,

Would you be open to receive fictional operators liveries for inclusion in core? Like the amazing RN Miasma had done? (Or my adequate Israeli Air Force livery).

Personally, I have no problem "surrendering" all my PSDs for review if that would be requested.

The base texture opacity or character is not intended to be modified in any case. If you desire a minimally weathered bird; turn off the weathering folders. Going beyond that stretches the limits of an accurate albedo should be (even if very clean!)
Without really understanding why, I get that you're stating this is a special kind of paintkit, however it is put together in a way that's different than all the other paintkits I've worked with from DCS and their partners. In all cases, there was the ability to turn off the base color while retaining fine lines and panels.

And I wasn't looking for real-world color accuracy or to make a custom skin for some little-known real-world squadron. I make fictional skins with all kinds of wild colors and patterns and that's why I asked about getting the base color out of there. Unless you've used an external photograph to create the "Base Texture copy 2" layer, I am certain it is a composite layer that was previously built with several layers, many of those were just lines and circles, with maybe some shadows. And then an overall metal grey was added.

Aircraft come in base colors other than metal grey, regardless of albedo

Thanks for your reply and the great module. I'm really enjoying it and appreciate the release of the paintkit.

Trying to repaint the Pylons. They won't load in the Modelviewer.

Here's my exact code:

{"HB_F14_EXT_PHOENIXPYLONS", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_PHOENIXPYLONS",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_PYLONS_01", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_PYLONS_01",false};

The textures are renamed, and in the folder. When I check the modelviewer and click on the texture it shows the correct texture in the livery folder. But it won't load on the model...??? I must be doing something wrong...clearly! ;)

Cheers,

Rick

CSEL\CMEL\IFR

Certified Airplane Nut

Trying to repaint the Pylons. They won't load in the Modelviewer.

Here's my exact code:

{"HB_F14_EXT_PHOENIXPYLONS", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_PHOENIXPYLONS",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_PYLONS_01", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_PYLONS_01",false};

The textures are renamed, and in the folder. When I check the modelviewer and click on the texture it shows the correct texture in the livery folder. But it won't load on the model...??? I must be doing something wrong...clearly! ;)

The PhoenixPylons should be PHOENIXRAILS I believe in the first line.

{"HB_F14_EXT_PHOENIXRAILS", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_PHOENIXPYLONS",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_PYLONS", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_PYLONS_01",false};

The first entry is the model name and can’t be changed. The second is your texture name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you've used an external photograph to create the "Base Texture copy 2"

Most if not all of this bird was photogrammetrically scanned from what I understand and that's how the textures are made. Giving the most accurate texturing possible as opposed to "a bunch of little circles" in a bunch of layers. They've given you your answer as to how to get the colors that you want. Heatblur is not any other developer nor is any other developer Heatblur, so comparing paint kits to ED or other devs will get you nowhere. As far as I'm aware this is the first bird in DCS to use photogrammetry. I for one am a fan.

Edited by IceFire

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Matt "IceFire" Schuette

Commander In Chief United States Atlantic Command

Virtual Carrier Air Wing Eleven

Without really understanding why, I get that you're stating this is a special kind of paintkit, however it is put together in a way that's different than all the other paintkits I've worked with from DCS and their partners. In all cases, there was the ability to turn off the base color while retaining fine lines and panels.

And I wasn't looking for real-world color accuracy or to make a custom skin for some little-known real-world squadron. I make fictional skins with all kinds of wild colors and patterns and that's why I asked about getting the base color out of there. Unless you've used an external photograph to create the "Base Texture copy 2" layer, I am certain it is a composite layer that was previously built with several layers, many of those were just lines and circles, with maybe some shadows. And then an overall metal grey was added.

Aircraft come in base colors other than metal grey, regardless of albedo

Thanks for your reply and the great module. I'm really enjoying it and appreciate the release of the paintkit.

I'm not sure I understand?

If you disable the most underlying colour (that fills the pixels with a value) - I'm not sure why you expect the background to not become transparent?

The Base Texture layer influences the layers underneath it - if it has nothing to influence (the base colour/paint) - it won't appear.

There is no layered version of the Base Texture, it was generated through a procedural nodegraph texturing framework.

You can make the background any color you want. I guess I really don't understand what you mean :)

As for accurate albedo values: even fictional paints should have physically accurate albedo values.

There are no pure blacks or pure whites in reality, for example. That's why you need to lower opacity of your colours in most cases.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Will this work in Photoshop CS6?

This is the error I get:

aczK0vl.jpg

If I keep the layers will any skins I make have errors or look improper?

That's an odd error. The only one I know of with regards to CS6 is improper support for nested masks, but it should still work.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Will this work in Photoshop CS6?

This is the error I get:

aczK0vl.jpg

If I keep the layers will any skins I make have errors or look improper?

Keep layers

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Sorry Uri but I'm at a loss, can you give me further instructions on this 3in1 DDS?

Look at F14\Textures\LOD

there is a DDS there called 3in1

you need to make a copy of it in your livery (if not already present) and copy your texture over the original.

to save some time, you can open your already baked DDS, check load MIP in layers and grab MIP3 that's exactly the correct size you need (sometime you'll need MIP2). just copy the layer over to 3in1 and position it over the original you want to override, then just save the thing and update the descrition.lua (if you don't have it done already).

{"HB_F14_LOD1_3in1", 0 ,"HB_F14_LOD1_3in1",false};

Open each file, re size to 512x512 resolution and copy paste to the correct position in the lod file

Tapatalkkal küldve az én S40 eszközömről

Just open the 3in1 LOD file and then "place embedded" each of your finished .dds files and resize them in there to 512x512. It is much faster than opening, resizing, and exporting, then importing each of the texture files.

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not sure I understand?

If you disable the most underlying colour (that fills the pixels with a value) - I'm not sure why you expect the background to not become transparent?

The Base Texture layer influences the layers underneath it - if it has nothing to influence (the base colour/paint) - it won't appear.

There is no layered version of the Base Texture, it was generated through a procedural nodegraph texturing framework.

You can make the background any color you want. I guess I really don't understand what you mean :)

As for accurate albedo values: even fictional paints should have physically accurate albedo values.

There are no pure blacks or pure whites in reality, for example. That's why you need to lower opacity of your colours in most cases.

Thanks for the additional information. I guess my basic question is: how do I get a bright color skin based on this template? I cannot see how to do that and keep all the fine lines. All easy techniques will appear to create a color-dulled appearance

So when you used the "procedural nodegraph texturing" the base color was inferred into that? Not added later once all the 2d-photograph from 3d-object to 2d-projections(layers) were made?

For example, here's the F-18 skin again. I can get bright color skin with details. But I cannot figure out how to do with F-14 template. Of course, these are just examples. Even I'm not trying to fly around in a neon green F-14. :joystick:

AtEh3Ye.png

nRpvOHB.png

I guess the ED people made the F-18 skin some other way where they were able to isolate the individual lines. Maybe that was a recreation rather than an isolation.

You asked for version 1.1 requests, so I made one: asking for the source layers that made "Base Texture copy 2" layer. I guess I'm to understand that layer was generated directly from your "procedural nodegraph texturing" without any intermediate steps.

Sorry I'm a bit stubborn and won't be swayed much by the sentiment that I shouldn't be trying to do what I'm doing. Thanks for entertaining my inquiry

Thanks for the additional information. I guess my basic question is: how do I get a bright color skin based on this template? I cannot see how to do that and keep all the fine lines. All easy techniques will appear to create a color-dulled appearance

So when you used the "procedural nodegraph texturing" the base color was inferred into that? Not added later once all the 2d-photograph from 3d-object to 2d-projections(layers) were made?

For example, here's the F-18 skin again. I can get bright color skin with details. But I cannot figure out how to do with F-14 template. Of course, these are just examples. Even I'm not trying to fly around in a neon green F-14. :joystick:

AtEh3Ye.png

nRpvOHB.png

I guess the ED people made the F-18 skin some other way where they were able to isolate the individual lines. Maybe that was a recreation rather than an isolation.

You asked for version 1.1 requests, so I made one: asking for the source layers that made "Base Texture copy 2" layer. I guess I'm to understand that layer was generated directly from your "procedural nodegraph texturing" without any intermediate steps.

Sorry I'm a bit stubborn and won't be swayed much by the sentiment that I shouldn't be trying to do what I'm doing. Thanks for entertaining my inquiry

Like this?

RWg3mzK.png

Brighter:

0k0FSUa.png

Edited by ensamvarg